Input Needed. 2002 Jetta TDI overboost and MAF requested < MAF Actual

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
I ran a diagnostic on my friends car last night and got some interesting results. Moral of the story is he is both overboosting (no limp mode or anything of the sort) and the MAF requested value is significantly less than the ACTUAL MAF values. Oddly enough, the car seems slightly low on power despite the extra boost. Any thoughts?

Edit: Here are the plots

Last edited:

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
Didn't have time to unplug the MAF at the time, I'm just looking for ideas and suggestions here to see what others think, I'm taking it out for a run tonight with the MAF disconnected and checking out the numbers.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The MAF readings follow the boost. Extra boost= extra actual mass air flow.

It looks to me as if you may need to adjust the turbo vane actuator motor shaft length. Lengthen the shaft, which increases the spring preload, and increases the amount of vacuum that you need to move the shaft.

I would set it to crack (start moving initially) at 5" hg mercury, for starters.

jasonr8806

TDI
2003 jetta tdi 5spd stg 1 malone and bosio DLC520's
Canadian Grizzly has an excelent diagnosing thread on this particular overboost issue. It is titled "diagnosing and fixing limp mode for A4 1.9TDI. I think this is the problem that you have.