Newest cheap 5w40 oil...motomaster

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Just saw that motomaster is now selling 5w-40 synthetic which meets the 502/505 vw spec... it seems like it's made by shell and at 24.99 plus tax (on sale), you really can't get much lower

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-5w40-synthetic-engine-oil-5-l-0288720p.html#srp

I know there aren't many vw's kicking around that meet this oil spec, but hey figured i'd bring it up, might be useful. I just did an oil change with castrol 5w40, but i'll gladly give this a try next time

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I never understood the race to the bottom when it comes to engine oil.
It's not a race to the bottom, it's oil that happens to be cheap. It's made by shell and it meets the specs... Why would I go pay 40-50 bucks for a jug of motul or whatever other fancy brand ?

Oil is oil, it more or less all does the same thing with small differences. I'm not racing a BMW m3 here, so I'll say it again, if it meets the specs, then it's good enough for me and I'll gladly buy whatever is cheapest

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - to put that in perspective for the US folk, that's about $18USD for 5.0L, not the typical 1gal(US) = 3.78L jug you typically see in the US.

Good deal! Thanks for pointing it out!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Speaking of oil, where does everyone get their 507 rated oil at?
Walmart, crappy tire etc seems unobtanium.
Canadian Tire had 4.73L jugs of 507.00 Mobil 1 5w30 for about $35 a while ago; second time in the past six months or so that I've seen it marked down to that half-price point.

Oh wow - just went looking for a link for the Mobil1 and found (to the point of this thread) this Motomaster 504.00/507.00 (albeit 0w30) oil for $27.50 (half price) for 5L.
(And also meets 505.00 spec.)

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Canadian Tire had 4.73L jugs of 507.00 Mobil 1 5w30 for about $35 a while ago; second time in the past six months or so that I've seen it marked down to that half-price point.

Oh wow - just went looking for a link for the Mobil1 and found (to the point of this thread) this Motomaster 504.00/507.00 (albeit 0w30) oil for $27.50 (half price) for 5L.
(And also meets 505.00 spec.)
Very neat, although surprised they have 0w30 and not 5w30 but hey if it meets the specs it's all that matters

Also, if you look closely at the back of the bottle, it says at the bottom "made in Germany"

But if it's not brand name, it surely must be crap... I'll admit I used to have that mentality but definitely not anymore. Little bit of searching the web can reveal quite some interesting info about these "no name" brands

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Speaking of oil, where does everyone get their 507 rated oil at?
Walmart, crappy tire etc seems unobtanium.
I looked out of curiosity and it seems like if you have a CR tdi you're out of luck with regular stores and have to go to the specialty german shops... 50 to 60 bucks for a 5L... you're honestly better off at the dealer, I think 1 liter bottles are 8 to 10 bucks.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I looked out of curiosity and it seems like if you have a CR tdi you're out of luck with regular stores and have to go to the specialty german shops... 50 to 60 bucks for a 5L... you're honestly better off at the dealer, I think 1 liter bottles are 8 to 10 bucks.
...or Canadian Tire for less than $6/L (see above). :D
(507.00 is the spec for the CR TDIs...and compatible with the 505.00 ALH spec; 505.01 spec of the PD (BRM/BEW) is covered by Rotella T6...also sold at Canadian Tire, and if you watch for sales, similarly available for $30-$40 for a 5L jug).

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
...or Canadian Tire for less than $6/L (see above). :D
(507.00 is the spec for the CR TDIs...and compatible with the 505.00 ALH spec; 505.01 spec of the PD (BRM/BEW) is covered by Rotella T6...also sold at Canadian Tire, and if you watch for sales, similarly available for $30-$40 for a 5L jug).
Yes, if you go with 0w30, but if you want 5w30 then you're out of luck

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Ahh yes I did see that but missed the 507 part... Anyways, there are very limited options at the likes of Canadian Tire or walmart for a Cr engine

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Definitely true. Before the Mobil1 stuff showed up, I needed an extra litre to top up my change/fill...and my choice was the Castrol stuff (a little over $20 for ONE litre)....or live with the oil level just barely at the bottom of the dipstick "ok" section.

I paid the price....but since then, stocked up any time I saw a sale. :)

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Definitely true. Before the Mobil1 stuff showed up, I needed an extra litre to top up my change/fill...and my choice was the Castrol stuff (a little over $20 for ONE litre)....or live with the oil level just barely at the bottom of the dipstick "ok" section.

I paid the price....but since then, stocked up any time I saw a sale. :)
Yea, I like these cars, but stupid things like special oil, coolant and power steering fluid really turn me off... At least pre cr tdis are easy to source oil, but another good example if hard to find is this; I had a leaking rack on this beater I just picked up and the dealer charged 35 bucks for 1 liter of power steering fluid! I was in a pinch so I coughed it up...Damn German cars sometimes

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
Just saw that motomaster is now selling 5w-40 synthetic which meets the 502/505 vw spec...
Wow seems like a terrific deal. Read the specs on the link and did not see where it specifies meeting the VW spec. Or is that just understood because it meets Chrysler, Ford, GM, Honda, etc?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Great! But it's not in the specifications in the link.
The Canadian Tire site is utter garbage, thankfully they know how to post pics of the back of the bottle so you can read the actual specs directly from the manufacturer

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
back of the bottle actual specs directly from the manufacturer
Oh ya....Finally got the page to load so I could see the back.
I'm gonna have to get some of this stuff.
Wonder what they'd charge for it on discount sale ? I can wait, change isn't due til the fall.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Oh ya....Finally got the page to load so I could see the back.
I'm gonna have to get some of this stuff.
Wonder what they'd charge for it on discount sale ? I can wait, change isn't due til the fall.
24.99 plus tax, just like it's advertised currently... doubt it'll be lower, under 30 bucks for 5L of vw approved oil is probably as cheap as it gets

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
Ya I saw the price.
Canadian Tire doesn't have a SKU in its inventory that it doesn't discount at one time or another.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Ya I saw the price.
Canadian Tire doesn't have a SKU in its inventory that it doesn't discount at one time or another.
Greater discount then 50% off already? I know Canadian Tire overprices everything to make the sale seem really good, but I doubt we will see it lower then 24.99, but hey if it happens great, i'll scoop up a few

I remember Walmart had a price error of some sort with the castrol 5w40 5L jugs a few years ago, it came out to around 27 bucks with tax for a jug, so I scooped up a few then, but these occurrences are far and few

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
Maybe I'm confused....is this $25 the regular everyday price or is it a limited time discounted/sale price?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looked it up at CDNtire; Back of the jug says "VW 505.00", so that's a good oil for the ALH, *not* for the BEW.

Last edited:

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
I have not been able to find any used oil analysis for this oil, however one word of caution. Non of these oils are actually approved by any of European companies. they are simply stating they meet the spec by their own testing. Unfortunately there are no regulations in Canada to check the validity of these specs. There are multiple oil companies selling low quality motor oil with any spec you desire. I have done multiple Virgin Oil analysis on these oils and so far non of them actually met the specs they were advertising. I hope Canadian tire has not jumped on the wagon and following these oil companies practice of selling low grade oil with all kinds of specs. If any one has seen a UOA of these oil please post. I would be very interested to see them.

Last edited:

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
I have not been able to find any used oil analysis for this oil, however one word of caution. Non of these oils are actually approved by any of European companies. they are simply stating they meet the spec by their own testing. Unfortunately there are no regulations in Canada to check the validity of these specs. There are multiple oil companies selling low quality motor oil with any spec you desire. I have done multiple Virgin Oil analysis on these oils and so far non of them actually met the specs they were advertising. I hope Canadian tire has not jumped on the wagon and following these oil companies practice of selling low grade oil with all kinds of specs. If any one has seen a UOA of these oil please post. I would be very interested to see them.
You don't get an "MB-Approval" on an oil bottle unless Mercedes Benz has approved the oil, it says it clearly on their website. There is a difference if you see "MB 229.3" versus "MB-Approval 229.3"

While motomaster currently cannot be found on their lists, there may be a few reasons.

a) they haven't updated their list yet to include motomaster, as it's still a relatively new oil on the market (the rebranded version that is, which came out sometime last year)... It's true that the most recent update of the list is March 5, 2021, so I am curious why they haven't put it on the list yet.

This leads me to propose option b)

Motomaster isn't actually approved, which would then be false advertising on the bottle, as it's clearly labelled "MB-Approval 229.3", versus MB 229.3 like on the supertech 5W-40 sold at walmart

I'm sure Mercedes would like to know if an oil company is stamping "MB-Approval" on their bottles without being allowed to... If it's true that this oil isn't Mercedes approved, there would likely be massive complications involved

So if it is approved by MB, which I comfortably believe it is, then it's good enough for a VW with 502/505 spec

Also, please show us your virgin oil analysis on how this oil didn't meet the specs... I have been running it in an old ALH and my engine hasn't blown up yet... I plan on doing an oil analysis eventually to see how this oil holds up, but i'm not concerned one bit. It's frustrating when vendors claim something is crap without actually providing any evidence

Just because it isn't brand name, doesn't mean it's crap... so please back up your claims

Last edited:

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
ALH engine is not a demanding engine. You can run almost any relatively good oil and wont see a damage. I wont be naming any oil company but the last one I tested which was a 5W40 ended up to be a 5W30. It was not even the right Viscosity. Another brand that I tested 3 years ago ended up being a 15W50 with TBN of 4 on a virgin oil. No one is saying a brand is crap unless it is shown by UOA. All I am saying is these oils are not approved. I dont think even Motomaster is claiming it to be approved. I have to read the label but I think they are saying it meets the Approval not actually "approved". Any ways just trying to see if I can find any UOA of this oil.