What clutch rebuild kit to get? Tools?

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
04 tdi Jetta with 307,000 km

Just had it tuned recently for better mileage and to get rid of egr delete engine light.

The tunes added power is now making the clutch slowlyyyyy slip.

What’s the most economical rebuild kit for this and is it really that hard to do yourself? I’ve been rebuilding clutches in 4 stroke race dirtbikes for years so kind of know what I’m doing. Any special tools or tricks needed?

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
When you say rebuilding you clutch are you saying re-lining the friction disk and replacing the springs? The stock is dual mass and the parts holding the masses together fail. Not a good result so you want to go to a single mass with better materials. Just get the south bend stage 2 endurance and you will be set for the life of your car. Swapping is about a day of your work but doesn't really require anything special. Plenty of how too threads on how to do them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
buy SBC stage 2 street enduro clutch or your preferred clutch based on your max Torque output planned.
standard set of sockets and a prybar, and whatever tools you need based on the write up your following, i suggest myturbodiesel DIY guide.
Make sure you use a torque wrech, red locktight on your flywheel and clutch bolts ect... and you may also want to upgrade your fork as a heavier clutch can bend the stock one.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Awesome guys. Thanks for the answer. Seems like an easy job.

Not sure what I mean by rebuilding. It’s slipping. So I’m gonna replace everything. This stuff is dirt cheap compared to the dirt bike and lifted diesel truck world so I won’t cheap out. I’ll get the upgraded fork and stage 2 everything. Just not too sure EXACTLY what parts I need and don’t need.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Ok clutch is in. Cost $500 labor. Feels good. Few questions though

1. The clutch doesn’t engage till the pedal is at the floor, and when releasing it, the clutch is instant. Is that normal?

2. Does the clutch need to be broken in?

3. Here is pics of the old clutch. One of these fingers is broken. Why and where would it go?

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Mine definitely doesn’t use the full range. Only the first inch or two off the floor. The rest does nothing. Feels good though and doesn’t slip.

Low boost for the first bit ain’t happening. I’ve already tested it and done a few short hard runs up a short hill. Oops. I’ll be easier on it.

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
Did you get a "lightened" flywheel? If so the rattle is expected. As stated above bleed the clutch slave, it should not disengage/engage that low.

Side note, I have the timing belt tools here in Airdrie, If you want to borrow them and or bring your car up here to change the timing belt, it'll save you a few $$.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
LUK 17-050 DMF would hold a tune just fine, is quiet, smooth, low pedal effort, and much less expensive than most SMF options... installed dozens of these, even on cars with injectors, tunes, and turbo without issue... as for the low pedal issue it could be air in the system or a worn clutch arm pivot ball

Last edited:

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Pretty sure I got the vr6 single mass flywheel

This kit includes:

SMF Conversion Clutch Kit w/ Pressure Plate & Single-Mass Flywheel
High Quality throwout bearing
Clutch Release Lever/Fork
Clutch Release Lever Clip
Clutch Release Lever Ball Pin Pivot
Full set of 12 Inner CV Joint/Axle Bolts
Clutch Installation Bolt Set for Transmission Mount
Clutch Alignment Tool
Clutch Options

*NEW* IDParts VR6 SMF Clutch & Flywheel - Great for tuned or tune+nozzle upgraded TDIs, more holding power than our Quiet clutch but with very little increase in rattle when in neutral. Light pedal with easy linear engagement.

And I’m due for another timing belt soon. (Ugh). I may contact you regarding that this summer. Thanks!!

Is bleeding the clutch slave something me and the gf can do in the parking lot with basic tools or should I just bring it back to the mechanic if for a day?

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, you can bleed the slave in the lot. Pressure bleeder makes it real easy.
Especially if it hasn't been done recently (2 years), I would recommend flush and fill the whole hydraulic system, about 2L. Much easier to do that with a lift, not a parking lot job.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Awesome. Thanks for the help. Clutch seems to feel better today?

Taking off from a dead start. It likes to disengage quite close to the floor. But while driving and shifting gears. It seems to engage nicely and consistently in the middle. I think I’m just being paranoid and my trust issues are showing too. Going to haul a 600lb trailer 1000 miles next Friday so hopefully it holds.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Sounds like you have air that's expanding in the line and taking up the slack. Definitely need to bleed.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk