2011 VW TDI turns over but won't start...

rsm200

TDI
Golf 4 door 2011
Hey everyone. Great community here. Hoping someone can help me out.

I have a 2011 VW GOLF TDI (6-speed) with 37,000 miles. I drove it today, it was fine. I parked it in the garage.

An hour later, I started it, and accidentally stalled out. I went to re-start, and it turns over fine, but nothing happens. No warning lights.

I have a friend with a tow truck, so it is at the dealer now, and they cannot look at it until tomorrow.

I was wondering what you all thought.

Also, if it is a HPFP failure, what recourse do I have? Is any of this kind of stuff covered as I am out of warranty.

What is your advice?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Blackjedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5 speed 1.9 alh tdi
Really out of warranty at 37k miles and only 4 model years old? That seems crazy to me. I hope you figure it out and it doesn't cost you much if anything at all... Very hard telling why It won't start with this condition, could be many different things.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Huh?

Really out of warranty at 37k miles and only 4 model years old? That seems crazy to me.
VW Basic warranty is 3 years from date in service or 36K miles, whichever comes first. Drivetrain is 5 years or 60K miles, whichever comes first. Very easily, he is not covered by Basic warranty.

rsm200

TDI
Golf 4 door 2011
The dealer tried to start the car the night I dropped it off. It cranked, but wouldn't start. They were about to close so they left it for the night. The next morning, they tried again. It started.

The car has about 37500 miles. They asked if they could do the 40k mile service, I said sure. They said they checked everything and did all kinds of diagnostic test and could figure it out.

When they were washing the vehicle, it stalled without warning. By itself. They advised that they are getting VW involved and are going to try to figure it out.

Any advice or ideas?

Thanks everyone.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Dr. Volks here, first there should of been some kind of code in memory?
The car did not start at the dealer on drop off right. That should of been a big red flag for the dealer. These cars run like clock work 99% of the time with that low mileage.

Lets do a 40K service 40K $520 DSG service $450 a estimate from a local dealer. That fixes every thing!!

What was the temperature out side? icing up the inter cooler? But it died in the car wash too so I would not think ice.

If there where no codes they first thing would be to do the fuel filter with a fuel service and drive the car for a day or so.
But no lets charge some cash first them charge him to really fix it!!! Maybe
I would call VW corp right away and start to ***** .

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Sounds like a standard business practice from a VW dealer
Maybe they put new wipers on it , too

rsm200

TDI
Golf 4 door 2011
It is way above freezing, so it is not icing. Also, I am not one to throw money at the dealer, and I do my due diligence before letting these dealers do whatever they want. In the future I will try to find a trusted diesel mechanic from tdiclub.

After the car stalled in the wash, they continued to look for the problem for another day. I got a call from the dealer and they said they located the issue and it was a failed fuel retention valve. $150

I could not find much on that, and through some research, I think it may be a pressure retention valve. Any experience with these failures?