MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

Naftaman

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6sp
fuel tank capacity

3 fill ups so far on my markVII golf tdi 4 door.
book says 50l but from empty it only takes 45-46. Any one else noticing this? This is a
6 speed, mixed driving, 18 inch lo pro wheels, max so far is 700k on a tank

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
3 fill ups so far on my markVII golf tdi 4 door.
book says 50l but from empty it only takes 45-46. Any one else noticing this? This is a
6 speed, mixed driving, 18 inch lo pro wheels, max so far is 700k on a tank
Volkswagen has been programming the system to show empty when there are still a few liters in the tank. It has been speculated that this is to retain enough fuel in the system for proper cooling of the fuel system components (HPFP and injectors).

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
3100 when I fuel tomorrow morning. I have been on the road for 5 was the second 15' on Fuelly. The first is a GTD in the UK

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
That's me! Thanks for letting me know. Didn't realize I had to choose an engine when I selected the TDI. I guess I expected Fuelly to be smarter than that. I just corrected it.

Funny.

I think the overlap between the forums and Fuelly is very high

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Fueled today 55.2 MPGs BOOM!
650 miles with 15 left on the to-go and it took less than 12 gallons.

MFI read 59.8 sooner or later I will get a 700 mile tank

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI
Very nice. I refueled a little bit ago.

587 miles, run ~5 miles past 0, 12.42 gal's. Fuelly says 47.27 MPG's. ~80% highway.

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
2nd tank stats:

Measured mpg = 49.4; MFD indicated mpg = 53.6, so MFD for this tank was biased high ~7%. This compares with it being ~10% high my first tank.

559 miles driven, with 55 miles indicated range. Took 11.3 gallons. So as others have posted, the remaining miles shown seems to be somewhat conservative.

My driving was a bit more restrained this tank, but still honked on it some; I'm so impressed with the FE of this car.

flyingtoaster

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
Only 31mpg out of a speedy 150 mile trip. Speeds 80-95mph. 31mpg from $3.05 87 octane in the 1.8tsi auto trans with 18" rims. Don't like seeing the fuel gauge move that quick :( but I like the 170hp
Curious, why didn't you go with the TDI? The stage 1 tune will very likely be 170 to 180hp.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I'm starting to see the 10% error in consumption according to fuelly and hand calculations, mfd reports 4.4l/100 k and fuelly is 4.9
Going to attempt the fuel consumption correction shorty

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
2nd tank stats:
Measured mpg = 49.4; MFD indicated mpg = 53.6, so MFD for this tank was biased high ~7%. This compares with it being ~10% high my first tank.
559 miles driven, with 55 miles indicated range. Took 11.3 gallons. So as others have posted, the remaining miles shown seems to be somewhat conservative.
My driving was a bit more restrained this tank, but still honked on it some; I'm so impressed with the FE of this car.
I just filled up for my second tank. 1/4 left on gauge. 443 miles driven.

MFD indicated 54.1. After first pop, I put another half gallon in. I didn't do this before. Fuelly actual mileage 46.9 mpgs. I didn't top off the same way before, so this half gallon affected my calculations. The mileage would have been exactly the same at 48.9 mpg if I wouldn't have topped off.

Overall, I am thrilled! However, I really want that magical 50 mpgs.

Dropping the car off for some sunglasses for my windows tomorrow.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I just filled up for my second tank. 1/4 left on gauge. 443 miles driven.

MFD indicated 54.1. After first pop, I put another half gallon in. I didn't do this before. Fuelly actual mileage 46.9 mpgs. I didn't top off the same way before, so this half gallon affected my calculations. The mileage would have been exactly the same at 48.9 mpg if I wouldn't have topped off.

Overall, I am thrilled! However, I really want that magical 50 mpgs.

Dropping the car off for some sunglasses for my windows tomorrow.
with the big wheels and a bit of non FE driving per tank you may be hard pressed to hit 50MPG although may improve as motor seats and settles...sounds like 50MPG is pretty reasonable. Maybe 32-35 for the 1.8T. we are beginning to see a comparison and a trend to justify either car depending of course on the spread of diesel vs gasoline in your area. Keep this thread going as it is real interesting. Less of the MFD displays and more of the real life tank to tank results would be better IMHO. Never trust the computer when it comes to mileage. The only good it is really is to tell you you are nailing it too hard and back off on instant mode. In terms of your real cost of fuel tank to tank its a toy. Real numbers are the only thing that interests me anyways. So far these numbers look pretty awesome if the AVE is high 40s low 50s...out of brand new engines...may even improve 2-3% over next year or 2.

j0105

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S Manual
Finally got to fill up today. 611.7 miles on 10.443 gallons for 58.6 mpg. My low fuel alert had not yet come on. My MFD showed 65.5 mpg with 95 miles remaining.

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
Finally got to fill up today. 611.7 miles on 10.443 gallons for 58.6 mpg. My low fuel alert had not yet come on. My MFD showed 65.5 mpg with 95 miles remaining.
58.6 mpg on a TDI. That is 39.5% better than the best 42mpg on Mazda 3.

Even with diesel being on average 20% more expensive than gas (US not Canada) that is making the TDI worthwhile.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
58.6 mpg on a TDI. That is 39.5% better than the best 42mpg on Mazda 3.

Even with diesel being on average 20% more expensive than gas (US not Canada) that is making the TDI worthwhile.
Yes I would say that is awesome but he wont get that steady. sounds like high 40s is doable on a daily basis which is fabulous. 58.6 must mean some slooooooooow driving.

j0105

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S Manual
Yes I would say that is awesome but he wont get that steady. sounds like high 40s is doable on a daily basis which is fabulous. 58.6 must mean some slooooooooow driving.
Yes - I was very easy on the pedal, usually hovering around 60mph.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
After all of the doom and gloomers were talking about how the new gas engines were going to make diesels obsolete with their fuel economy numbers... ;)

Drowningape

TDI
None yet
X2 on the last two messages, all of those people who are "hating" DEF need to sit back and re-think theirr evaluation.
I have a technical questions. does DEF have an effect on fuel economy, or is it just a good thing for extending the life of diesel in the market by making it cleaner?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I have a technical questions. does DEF have an effect on fuel economy, or is it just a good thing for extending the life of diesel in the market by making it cleaner?

It improves fuel economy by allowing the engine to run more efficiently (which creates more NOx, which is then removed by the urea). Without it, the engine would have to be tuned for cleaner NOx, which is less fuel efficient.

Drowningape

TDI
None yet
I'm seriously torn between manual and DSG. Do we have any real world numbers as to milage difference between the two?

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Since new:
4407 miles, 10 fills, 94.913 gallons, 46.4 MPG calculated

3 pedals, SE with 17" factory tires/rims

Most miles driven easy thru mild hills on divided 4 lane, NOT restricted access so lots of traffic adjustment, two lane traffic clusters common with some amount of stop and go, 1 hour commute each way ~ 47 miles, 46MPH average speed since new per the computer

It seems like the MPG went up from 45.1 to 46.4, though I suspect that's more of a marker of the type of driving than it is of the car's performance changing . . .

~ 1400 miles NJ to MN, 4 fills, 45.1 MPG . . .

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I'm seriously torn between manual and DSG. Do we have any real world numbers as to milage difference between the two?
I think if you check Fuelly and look closely, you'll see the MTs with slightly higher mileage. I haven't actually done the math, but I noticed what I think is a trend.

It's hard to exactly separate the transmission differences from the potential city/highway splits. If anyone takes the time to do a more thorough study from fuelly, i'd be interested to see the results. I may get to it myself sometime soon.

TDI-rex

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
I think if you check Fuelly and look closely, you'll see the MTs with slightly higher mileage. I haven't actually done the math, but I noticed what I think is a trend.
It's hard to exactly separate the transmission differences from the potential city/highway splits. If anyone takes the time to do a more thorough study from fuelly, i'd be interested to see the results. I may get to it myself sometime soon.
The MT definitely has a slight advantage, I've seen about 2mpg difference on average. There is a second Golf with a manual now in my household so we have had the opportunity to compare mileage with my DSG on a few similar and identical drives.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
The MT definitely has a slight advantage, I've seen about 2mpg difference on average. There is a second Golf with a manual now in my household so we have had the opportunity to compare mileage with my DSG on a few similar and identical drives.
Thanks for the info! These are two Mk7 Golfs? One DSG one manual? Very handy comparison to have, if so...

I was torn as well between the DSG and the MT, having owned exclusively manuals in the past. My commute has enough traffic these days that I decided to go for the convenience of the DSG, fully knowing I'd probably sacrifice some efficiency. I'm still curious to figure out exactly how much.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
I love fuelly, but it is missing a transmission filter, so you need to manually pull each user profile and hope they accurately identified their transmission. That said, it appears the manual is more than slightly better. But even if DSG is 'only' 40 mpg vs 45 mpg, I wouldnt complain.