Readiness Monitors taking forever......

agy2k2

TDI
none
Hey guys.... I have an 11 tdi golf that went through recall. Trying to get it through inspection and back on the road for the first time since repair and have 2 incomplete readiness monitors - CAT & HTR

Anybody familiar with this? I understand the general process of driving a car for monitors but this one is taking forever. Its been over a month since battery was dead, about 350 miles, and maybe a dozen drive cycles or more. Still same two incomplete monitors.

Whats the trick?

Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, it is normal post-fix. We've dealt with it here, Missouri's OBD inspection program, sanctioned by our Dept. of Natural Resources, gets complaints about it a lot. I have had some take several THOUSAND miles of driving before they were all set.

oilhammer

TDI
Well hey, that ~50 MPG TDI is outlawed now... but rest assured, you can buy as many 15 MPG Tahoes as you like, and the EPA is perfectly fine with those.

So yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

mike837go

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
The OBDII Drive Cycle must be completed.
Although what a "Drive Cycle" is, varies by manufacturer. Generally, some low-speed driving (city traffic), some moderate speed crusing (country roads) and a good bunch of steady high-speed top gear running (highway).

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Find someone with a VCDS. Go to the engine module. Click the readiness box. If the items are not all cleared, you should see a small box on the lower left of the screen that if clicked will allow you to run a program to get it all going.

If you want to run the program, go out driving and get the car warmed up first. The rest can be done sitting still. Just follow directions. Also, if you run a step but nothing seems to happen, check the upper right quadrant of the VCDS screen. There may be a box labeled ON/OFF/NEXT (or is it off/on/next?) anyway, click that box and the test should start.

If you have all or most of the tests to run, then it will take 15 or 20 minutes. But that's a lot better than 2 or 3 thousand miles.

Cheers,

PH

oilhammer

TDI
Find someone with a VCDS. Go to the engine module. Click the readiness box. If the items are not all cleared, you should see a small box on the lower left of the screen that if clicked will allow you to run a program to get it all going.

If you want to run the program, go out driving and get the car warmed up first. The rest can be done sitting still. Just follow directions. Also, if you run a step but nothing seems to happen, check the upper right quadrant of the VCDS screen. There may be a box labeled ON/OFF/NEXT (or is it off/on/next?) anyway, click that box and the test should start.

If you have all or most of the tests to run, then it will take 15 or 20 minutes. But that's a lot better than 2 or 3 thousand miles.

Cheers,

PH
Doesn't work that way on these, unfortunately. It is hit or miss on manual readiness setting on many VAG products, and the folks at Ross-tech have told me it just has to do with what features are resident in the ECU. Some newer cars have an "end of line check", which is a similar deal, but I have never been able to utilize this on any CR TDI.

However pre-fix we could generally get all the monitors to run within a reasonable amount of time/miles. Post-fix, it is crazy long.

w123houston

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 6MT
FWIW, it took around 350 miles for my readiness monitors to set after my ecu was flashed with malone stage 2 (emissions inatact).