www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old May 20th, 2020, 15:12   #76
TejGhost

I Powdercoated my intake manifold and Valve Cover @holdndown1bae on insta if you want this done to yours as well ;-)

Sent from my Note9
TejGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 17:03   #77
mjez
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 00 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 47mpg

Sold it.

I have original busted CV axle if anyone wants to rebuild it. I'm in far north suburbs of Chicago, closer to Wisconsin border, come and get it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old May 28th, 2020, 19:17   #78
hooville
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.2 lifetime average!

The MK4 has been getting all the love in the second act of the Pandemic: I replaced the OEM Cassette player & Phatnoise with a DD Sony with CarPlay, hands free calling and a backup camera. The stock speakers sound so good now that we're going to keep them for a while longer!

Replaced the tail light bulbs while I was installing the camera and license plate bracket.

Upgraded the glove box to the larger version and FINALLY got around to removing the remaining soft touch paint on the dash and door handles. I still have to clean it off the armrest but now i can touch the dash without getting sticky black residue on my hands and clothes.
Installed lighted Jetta vents but somehow lost one of the wiring harness pigtails in the shuffle so the passenger vent illumination is on hold until the next trip to the pull-a-part.
hooville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 18:09   #79
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooville View Post
The MK4 has been getting all the love in the second act of the Pandemic: I replaced the OEM Cassette player & Phatnoise with a DD Sony with CarPlay, hands free calling and a backup camera. The stock speakers sound so good now that we're going to keep them for a while longer!

Replaced the tail light bulbs while I was installing the camera and license plate bracket.

Upgraded the glove box to the larger version and FINALLY got around to removing the remaining soft touch paint on the dash and door handles. I still have to clean it off the armrest but now i can touch the dash without getting sticky black residue on my hands and clothes.
Installed lighted Jetta vents but somehow lost one of the wiring harness pigtails in the shuffle so the passenger vent illumination is on hold until the next trip to the pull-a-part.

They have a larger version of the glove box? Hopefully that version also means one where the door latch works!

And isn't that soft touch paint awful? I'm going to venture to guess your car has a black interior?
2013 JSW 02Q - Malone Stage 3, CR170, rawtek 3" straight pipe, PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front fogs, Bosal towhitch, Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, Sachs racing clutch, Peloquin LSD, dieselgeek shortshifter, CP3
2004 Golf GLS 02J - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, darkside 2.5" downpipe/intercooler/TIP MFA cluster swap
2003 Jetta GLS 01M - EGR cooler delete, Melett VNT17, Darkside SMIC. Future Ute/02J project
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 21:31   #80
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhoury View Post
And isn't that soft touch paint awful? I'm going to venture to guess your car has a black interior?
Nitrile gloves, oven cleaner, green ScotchBrite pads - makes short work of that soft-touch crraaaaap.

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 11:17   #81
hooville
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.2 lifetime average!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Nitrile gloves, oven cleaner, green ScotchBrite pads - makes short work of that soft-touch crraaaaap.

Black interior indeed! I used TSP and a non-scratch sponge to clean it off: the first door handle I cleaned got scratched up pretty well with ScotchBrite so I switched scrubbers. It looks smoother but it takes longer to remove. I'm going to try oven cleaner when I tackle the armrest!

I upgraded to the larger one because my wife doesn't travel light...

It's not difficult to do: remove glove box and the metal braces from behind, change the connector for the new light and you're done. The hardest part was removing the lock cylinder to put the old one in so the locks would match. It has the same latch.

I pulled the old glove box out a few years ago to fix the right hinge that had been broken for a good while and cleaned the soft touch off while it was out. MUCH easier to clean than in the car!
hooville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 12:24   #82
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooville View Post
Black interior indeed!
For around $30USD, you could instead, totally bling it up!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000890120666.html

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit

Old June 2nd, 2020, 04:21   #83
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhoury View Post
I feel your pain! I'm trying to get my 2010 JSW ready to list it for sale, as I'm more than happy with just an ALH, BEW and CJAA (best of all three worlds).
Nearly the same, ALH , BRM and CJAA. Might get rid of the ALH, seems to be cursed and definitely doesn't want to be fixed. Either that or a second ECU is bit the dust.
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2020, 04:41   #84
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

I didn't do anything to my own TDIs other than get the insurance taken off of them. All the sheltering has lessened the need for more than one vehicle between the wife and myself. Gas is cheap....what can I say. The Sorento is a better fit for her, too.

On the other hand, I have not run short of TDI work for others. While owners are not working, it is a good time for them to get caught up with needed repair and maintenance.
JETaah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2020, 15:04   #85
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DzoniS View Post
I finally managed to get an aftermarket Carplay in my VII.

The installation went smoothly and everything works like it should for now.

I've used this tutorial as it has pictures and everything if anyone else needs help *SPAM Link removed*
Can you post the installation instructions they gave you? I'm curious as to exactly what gets installed where and how. The page on their blog makes me ask more questions than it provides answers.
How long did it take for the unit to arrive to you in "United States" (which state)?
What trim is your car?
Will this work in a car with Fender Premium audio?

Last edited by VW Derf; June 4th, 2020 at 07:54.
Old June 8th, 2020, 14:49   #86
Stopx

TDI(s): A3 Cbbb
Fuel Economy: 41mpg avg.

I've changed my EGR valve on hot eingine not a smart move .
Stopx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2020, 17:05   #87
Black00Jetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.1/45.2/39.6

Did an oil/filter change (310k), replaced the 2 gaskets to the oil filter cooler (had an oil leak up north when temp dropped to 10 degrees last Oct.) and tightened passenger side drive shaft bolts (changed that about 7 years ago). 3 were finger tight and 3 were out about 2-3 revolutions. Dodged a bullet on that one. One reason why I rotate oil changes from topside to crawling underneath and checking underside!
Old June 9th, 2020, 21:00   #88
Nuje
Veteran Member

Spent a couple hours trying to get new (to me; definitely used) 3B0920847E cluster IMMO-matched to my 2003 Golf.
No luck yet.

Old June 10th, 2020, 22:23   #89
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Spent a couple hours trying to get new (to me; definitely used) 3B0920847E cluster IMMO-matched to my 2003 Golf.
No luck yet.
Note to self: Remember that you're old, and your memory - which used to be pretty good with numbers...not so good-like anymore.

Discovered that the issue with mating the new (to me) FIS cluster to my 2003 Golf was that I was using what I was *sure* was 8121 was the original PIN.
WRONG!

Used the proper one, and 10minutes later, everything's good.