www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 11th, 2020, 19:25   #46
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

i washed and waxed it. apon waxing i realised that i have to clay bar it and buff the paint out. found a chip in the drivers door and a lot of surface rust spots. (caused my bits of metal contamination in the clearcoat) cleaned the interior and while cleaning the rear seats i noticed a broken thread in a seam causing it to seperate. (yeah im pretty thorough) I think my daughter might have picked at it at some point. not sure. So i got to contact my leather guy and see if he can fix it. The cornsilk beige cleans easily. Debating if i should change the fuel filter...
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2020, 14:56   #47
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Replaced the driver side wing mirror cap. There were some crazy high wind gusts on my way home from work Friday morning and the cap came straight off. Made quick drive out to my local U-pull-it junkyard and got a mirror cap off another TDI wagon. Most of the good stuff was already pulled off the motor and it was an automatic so I didn’t bother grabbing anything else.
Old April 29th, 2020, 21:15   #48
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Since this thread has gotten quiet...

I ran over a mattress a week and a half ago in my '04 Golf. Got enough money to buy some upgrades for my ALH (like a VNT17). Also discovered I have a blown exhaust manifold gasket in the Golf, so I took off the turbo and studs today, to replace with new studs, gasket and nuts tomorrow, assuming everything arrives on time.
2013 JSW 02Q - Malone Stage 3, CR170, rawtek 3" straight pipe, PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front fogs, Bosal towhitch, Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, Sachs racing clutch, Peloquin LSD, dieselgeek shortshifter, CP3
2004 Golf GLS 02J - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, darkside 2.5" downpipe/intercooler/TIP MFA cluster swap
2003 Jetta GLS 01M - EGR cooler delete, Melett VNT17, Darkside SMIC. Future Ute/02J project
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2020, 16:40   #49
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Last thing I did was a last week, timing belt. Car is a 2007 Seat Alhambra 2L tdi

[/IMG]

No idea how to add pics from your gallery but feel free to browse lol
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2020, 16:57   #50
Nuje
Veteran Member

I don't know how many hundreds or thousands of your posts I've seen on this board, Seatman, but I just realized now that you probably go by "Seatman" here because....your car is a Seat.
(Takes me a while, but eventually I get there. )

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2020, 17:38   #51
aslspiderman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Really good!

Washed and waxed. Pulled front seats and replaced all the plastic bits. Now they can move back and forth.
Old April 30th, 2020, 19:50   #52
pebjr
Veteran Member

Finally had the opportunity to replaced the driver side door lock mechanism on my 09 Jetta..
pebjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2020, 07:07   #53
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

This afternoon, I get to pull off the left front tire and wheel liner to try to fix the running light. Last year, some butthead neighbor backed into the front corner and popped the light into the fender well. Dealer tried to fix it when it was in for a CEL under the extended warranty.
Old May 1st, 2020, 09:31   #54
mjez
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 00 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 47mpg

Replaced what I thought to be a bad bearing only to find out that my CV joint is busted. Now trying to decide where to get a new CV/half-shaft from... Hmmm

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old May 1st, 2020, 11:14   #55
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Use IDParts to get a new CV joint, replace that and motor on. Buying a new chinesium halfshaft from your FLAPS is about the most expensive thing you can do. Why? Because it will not last, may (if it is the long side) be out of balance causing harmonic vibrations that are unexplainable, and it will cost you more time and money to replace it after it breaks.

In all seriousness, don't throw out your old one, fix it instead.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2020, 13:53   #56
Hyde7278
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Hound View Post
Use IDParts to get a new CV joint, replace that and motor on. Buying a new chinesium halfshaft from your FLAPS is about the most expensive thing you can do. Why? Because it will not last, may (if it is the long side) be out of balance causing harmonic vibrations that are unexplainable, and it will cost you more time and money to replace it after it breaks.
In all seriousness, don't throw out your old one, fix it instead.
Cheers,
PH

+1

Just replace the cv joint with a quality aftermarket part
Old May 1st, 2020, 17:01   #57
mjez
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 00 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 47mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde7278 View Post
+1

Just replace the cv joint with a quality aftermarket part
What do you recommend? I honestly only want to fix it to sell it. I just got replacement oil burner for my tdi. Unless someone here wants it cheaper to fix it. I've thrown bunch of parts at it recently.

Old May 2nd, 2020, 02:03   #58
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjez View Post
What do you recommend? I honestly only want to fix it to sell it. I just got replacement oil burner for my tdi. Unless someone here wants it cheaper to fix it. I've thrown bunch of parts at it recently.

If you get the replacement axle from idparts, it's like 80 bucks. I was curious how it worked and took the ball bearings out (don't do that). That aside, it's maybe a 1-2 hour job changing the boot/axle, and probably your cheapest option. Sure, you can get some cheap Chinese crap for the same price, but nobody knows how long it'll last.
2013 JSW 02Q - Malone Stage 3, CR170, rawtek 3" straight pipe, PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front fogs, Bosal towhitch, Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, Sachs racing clutch, Peloquin LSD, dieselgeek shortshifter, CP3
2004 Golf GLS 02J - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, darkside 2.5" downpipe/intercooler/TIP MFA cluster swap
2003 Jetta GLS 01M - EGR cooler delete, Melett VNT17, Darkside SMIC. Future Ute/02J project
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2020, 17:06   #59
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Not exactly tdi related, but I got my "new" 1600cc dune buggy running great today. Some crap had plugged the fuel inlet on the carb. I haven't had this much fun with a vehicle in a long time. Took me a while to figure out reverse- not sure why, my more modern VW's require pushing down on the gear knob to engage reverse too.
turbobrick240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2020, 18:04   #60
BMAN
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: BMAN

Painted my calipers and installed my new BBS wheels
BMAN is offline   Reply With Quote