California resident smog check

*zepman

TDI
Former 2012 Passat TDI SEL Current: 2014 e250 Bluetec
Hi guys,
Apologies if this message is in the wrong forum, i need to get my TDI smog checked, which to me seems like a joke. Do i have any recourse, or should i just bite the bullet, and stuff the state coffers ? Has anyone contacted the CA DMV regarding this and is it worth the time ?

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Consumer Reports, as mentioned by compu_85, made the incorrect assumption that they were testing the vehicle's emissions mode. The only way to test emissions mode is to replicate the EPA test procedure exactly. No combination of unplugging sensors or morse code with the accelerator pedal will do it. Any deviation from the standard test procedure will immediately return the vehicle to normal operation. The EPA has tested and confirmed this.

As for the California smog check, you'll be just fine.

*zepman

TDI
So Just my luck, took the car to the SMOG center,
First the guy asked, if the battery had been replaced, and i said yes 6 months ago. and was then told it won't pass, drive the car hard for 150 miles and bring it back as the computer is stuck, and i guess a drive cycle needs to be completed.

ugh!

anyone have any experience with this one?

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
So Just my luck, took the car to the SMOG center,
First the guy asked, if the battery had been replaced, and i said yes 6 months ago. and was then told it won't pass, drive the car hard for 150 miles and bring it back as the computer is stuck, and i guess a drive cycle needs to be completed.

ugh!

anyone have any experience with this one?
What on earth does the battery being replaced have anything to do with smog? I only say this because the dealer toasted my battery during the 40k service...

*knock knock* I have yet to received anything about smog on my 2012

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
What on earth does the battery being replaced have anything to do with smog? I only say this because the dealer toasted my battery during the 40k service...

*knock knock* I have yet to received anything about smog on my 2012
I was told that even through a check engine light has been cleared, you have to drive it 150 miles after clearing it for it to pass CA smog. In other words, you can't reset the light in the parking lot, drive into the smog place and expect to pass.

I had a glow plug changed that cleared a CIL. I drove it for 2 days - that was enough. On a side note, my 2001 NB TDI passed smog in CA even with the ABS lit up (bad sensor). The old smog test was simply visual.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I was told that even through a check engine light has been cleared, you have to drive it 150 miles after clearing it for it to pass CA smog. In other words, you can't reset the light in the parking lot, drive into the smog place and expect to pass.

ohhhhhhhhhhh thats right. I have heard something about that in the past....pretty ridiculous IMHO

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Not rediculous at all. All the readiness flags need to reset in order to pass. It took my car close to 500 miles before everything was reset last time I had a repair. You can test for readiness with any cheap OBD2 scanner before you waste your time going back for emissions testing.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Yes, the readiness flags need to reset themselves, but that is supposed to be a matter of 6-10 engine cycles, not any particular mileage.

When using an ODB-II scanner, it will show the status of the flags. I assume VCDS does as well, but I've never looked for them since I got the cable. You might try resetting the codes again, then checking the flags after a few days.

*zepman

TDI
after two visits where the drive cycle has not completed itself, mind you it's been 6K miles since the battery was replaced, i'm off to a third smog check place, fingers crossed.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I wonder if they are trying to test it as a gas car, not diesel. A coworker bought a new TDI in 03 that the dealer registered as gas because TDIs weren't allowed to be sold in NY.

Typically, two drive cycles (cold to hot to cold) should reset enough readiness monitors for any car to pass (one is allowed to be 'not ready' - at least in NY). I admit that I have never checked my Passat.

If you have problems still, find out what monitors are causing the problem.

*zepman

TDI
thanks everyone, all it took was a different smog guy... lesson learned, if you don't like what one guy says, take it to another guy.

n1acguy

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat TDI DSG SE/Sunroof
thanks everyone, all it took was a different smog guy... lesson learned, if you don't like what one guy says, take it to another guy.
FWIW, I always go to "test only" places. They aren't allowed to do or recommend repairs. They seem to be more knowledgeable in general about what the state wants when it comes to smog testing.
Their only motive is to get the thing to pass and collect their fee.
There is no incentive to try to sell you anything, and they sure as hell don't want you to need to go back and retest at a reduced fee.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
x2 on the 'test only' facilities. It's been awhile since I failed a smog test. 4 or 5 years ago on my gas truck. He also asked about the clearing of the CEL, I just cleared it one day before. But he passed me.
Do they still do free retest with fail?
Edit: if I remember correctly, he didn't charge me the first time when I failed. He told me the errors, and I went home and fixed them. He only charged me after I passed.

Last edited: