install a pass through?

1998redwagon

TDI
2013 passat 6M tungsten/cornsilk
has anyone attempted to add a pass through to an se, se w/sunroof or se w/sunroof and nav? i've searched the b7 forum to no avail.

i have a 2013 se tdi that needs a pass through so i can easily transport the kids 250cm jump skis in winter. when i pull down the center armrest in my se trim passat and feel the space where the pass through would go it seems like there is a piece of fabric, followed by some foam and then i'm guessing the black trunk carpet material. it is definitely not solid. when i look at used cars on the lot the pass through seems to be a rectangular plastic frame that is screwed to a rectangular frame internal to the 60% back seat and then the door or lid fits into that exterior plastic frame. (words fail me. pictures would be better i know.)

the dealer shows the parts which total about $200. ouch! recyclers would sell me a full back seat for ~$150 but i cannot find an sel back seat, which are the only ones with pass throughs.

as an aside i had a back seat with a pass through from a recycler for $130. drove 3 hours to get it only to find out it was an se. the fellow at the counter said he thought i meant fold down rear seat. talk about pissed - 6 hours - 1 day - wasted.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I haven't read of anyone (yet) doing what you propose, although it seems like it could be done. You obviously are already folding half the rear seat down to accommodate the skis now but need both rear seats to be usable, right?

1998redwagon

TDI
2013 passat 6M tungsten/cornsilk
Yes, it is most efficient if i can take 3 kids with me - 2 in back and 1 up front. i can stack the skis and the rest of their stuff goes in the trunk.