Pricing

04Wagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004.5 Jetta Wagon 5spd Tip, Black Leather on Spice Red.
Comparing the Canadian and US sites there seems to still be @ a $5000.00 difference between the two Countries on a loaded 2012 Passat, or am I missing something? :rolleyes:

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Options

That's pretty normal. Canada gets kinda screwed on car prices.
Canada is blessed with options unavailable south of the border.

6 spd manual with all trim levels.:eek:
Cloth interior, yep. Leatherette, yep, Leather, yep.
Sport package and technology package optional, yep.

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
That's pretty normal. Canada gets kinda screwed on car prices.
yeah, I wear tear-a-ways when I go to buy a car.

It's not just cars, there are too many items that are 40-50% price difference and our dollar is at par. I just tend to buy things in the US, ship them to one of those US Address pick-up places and go get them during a trip to the US.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Canada is blessed with options unavailable south of the border.

6 spd manual with all trim levels.:eek:
Cloth interior, yep. Leatherette, yep, Leather, yep.
Sport package and technology package optional, yep.
Sure, but option vs option, the Canadian cars are quite a bit more expensive.

04Wagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004.5 Jetta Wagon 5spd Tip, Black Leather on Spice Red.
Correct that is what I was referring to, in the past explanations were "well the US dollar is valued higher against the EURO than the Canadian dollar" so this is why and also the other was "well VW ships 15 to 20 times the amount of cars to the US so the trip across the pond is much less", once loaded on the ship it is pennies per ton so actually it should cost pretty much the same, anyway both of these are no longer factors in the 2012 Passat, makes no sense to me outside of plain old gouging because they can. :rolleyes:

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
Yup, in Ontario it is 13% so my tax on the one I bought last night was 4600.
However, I willingly (gulp) pay taxes to have the society that we do (ok, I would like it less but I'm reasonable).

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
cars cost less in Canada

Canadians were not complaining in 2002 when cars were cheaper in Canada.

and from 2003 in USA Today
Tue May 6, 7:26 AM ET USA Today

Whether it's a plain Ford or a rare Cadillac, cars and trucks sold in the USA by most automakers are priced higher than virtually identical vehicles sold in Canada. Now automakers are punishing car dealers and U.S. customers who buy Canadian cars, even though it's legal to do so.

The number of Canadian vehicles brought into the USA by registered importers ballooned to 211,797 in 2002, up from 14,052 in 1996, 14 times as many, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites), which tracks and regulates auto imports.

Those numbers may seem small when compared with the nearly 17 million new cars and trucks sold in the USA last year. But at over 200,000 annually, Canadian imports represent the equivalent of two shifts of annual production at a typical auto plant.

The issue has grown increasingly contentious, with no end in sight. In the last year, automakers have attempted to crack down on sellers and buyers. In turn, the automakers have been sued on behalf of buyers. If the automakers can't stop the import numbers from growing, they face yet another erosion of profit, already dragged down by the high incentives that have propped up U.S. sales.

Automakers call the price differential ''pricing to the market.'' They say they price cars lower in Canada -- anywhere from 1% to 40% -- because wages and economic conditions are below those in the USA, and taxes are higher. It's what the market will bear, they say.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Comparing the Canadian and US sites there seems to still be @ a $5000.00 difference between the two Countries on a loaded 2012 Passat, or am I missing something? :rolleyes:
As well passat should not have the 6.1 % duty charged on my Golf as it built in NA. Prices should be much closer. VW taking advantage because they can....I guess we cant complain....go on the Australian VW site....Holy smokin....but it is clearly unfair and our Freight charges to toronto should be cheaper than freight to California from Tenessee ... should they not?? Nope we get ripped by all the import manufacturers. Domestics are more in line. VW, MB, Audi, Volvo, and BMW are big offenders. Shame on you. And we dont get free maintenance either. Guess our warranty a bit longer....meh...