high pitch noise

Roy Basch

I've noticed a continuous high pitch noise, heard best during idle. Today I realised that it stops when I press the clutch. Does this sound like clutch problem?

------------------

Roy Basch
96 Passat TDI

M

mickey

When you disengage the clutch the input shaft of the transmission stops spinning. Perhaps there is a bearing in the tranny that is whining a bit. It's probably nothing to worry about (and there's nothing you can do about it anyway) so I'd just drive on. At 60K it might not be a bad idea to replace the gear oil, but I doubt it will help. The stock VW stuff is great. RedLine makes excellent gear lube. Whatever you use, make sure it's synthetic and make sure it has the MT-1 rating. (GL-5, without the MT-1 rating, might eat your synchros. If it has BOTH ratings it's OK for a manual tranny.)

-mickey

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
Hi Ray,

Although it sounds like the obvious choice I think it's unlikely to be a clutch problem. The release bearings rarely fail these days and that's the wrong noise anyway. It might help if we know some more. How loud is the noise and how far down to you have to press the clutch before the noise stops? And how many miles do you have on your car?

Oops, Just saw it was 60k, and saw mickey's post. He always beats me to the punch, I must be getting slow on the keyboard. I'm thinking of retiring
(He's probably right about the noise unless it's loud btw)

[This message has been edited by Brodie (edited October 28, 2000).]

Roy Basch

Brodie- I only have to press the clutch about 1/2 in. to stop the noise. My work pager just went off
and it's almost as loud as the pager.

Mickey- I saw one of your prior posts on the tranny fluid and plan on buying some Redline. Tonight I bleed the brakes/clutch and put in some new Delvac1. I'll plan on changing the tranny fluid and maybe ordering a bypass filter next week.

Thanks

------------------

Roy Basch
96 Passat TDI

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
Roy,

Change of diagnosis now!

The fact that you only have to put some weight on the pedal to stop the noise means that it probably IS to do with the release bearing/pressure plate contact. It doesn't necessarily mean that the bearing is worn out and needs urgent attention. It may be just a resonance set up by say dry pins on the release bearing carrier. I'd do nothing for now and see how it goes. If it gets any worse though you'll have to replace the clutch

There is one other very unlikely possibility. If the thrust washers on the crankshaft get worn the crank then has too much endfloat which can cause noises. And if it gets really bad it can cause difficulty selecting gears from rest. I haven't this happen for years so I doubt very much if this is your problem.

[This message has been edited by Brodie (edited October 28, 2000).]

Roy Basch

Brodie,

I haven't experienced difficulty in gear selection. I'll try changing the fluid and wait and see. Thanks for the info.

------------------

Roy Basch
96 Passat TDI

Littlegator

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Green
Are you able to hear your turbo and are sure it isn't that?

About the only time that I am able to hear the turbo is going through a tunnel and it sounds like a dentists drill at low RPM. I know others hear it at other times. And some hear voices, but that is an unrelated problem.