FS: '13 Passat SE TDI Manual w/Upgrades $24k Indianapolis

tdinerd75

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6M
This is not a traditional ad that will yell at you. This is merely the story of my VW that I truly hope will find a good new home, where a VW TDI fan will be searching for a well maintained used car with more than what the factory offers at a big discount over new.

I am not ready to part with my rare black on cornsilk 2013 Passat SE TDI manual (as you probably know, only 1-2% of all Passats sold are TDI manuals), but my new job precludes the higher car payment, and I have student loans to pay off. Time for a lower payment. I've owned this car for just over 2 years...I got one of the first manual TDIs of the 2013 model year...and it has just over 25,xxx miles on it, which will continue to go up, as it's my daily commuter (~25 miles/day). I opted for a 6 year/75k transferable extended bumper-to-bumper warranty, and paid over $30k new, all in, not including the upgrades below.

Everyone here appreciates what TDIs can do, so I don't need to spend a bunch of time pointing out the fact that it's easy to get 50mpg on road trips (I hit 875 miles on a tank a couple of times, and still had almost 2 gallons left in the tank). I also don't need to point out that the Passat has the urea filter technology in it to clean up the exhaust, for which refills are covered under the factory paid maintance for 3 years/36,000 miles (meaning there is a year or about 10,000+ miles left, so count on your next full service to be free at the dealer). I will tell you that I followed the precautions and never shut the car off when the exhaust system was in regen mode; I've always waited for the cycle to finish before shutting it off.

You cannot get the equipment this car has from the factory! I wish you could, but you can’t. The frustrating thing to me is that VW doesn't offer a higher trim level with the manual transmission on the Passat. First and foremost I must have a manual transmission. But a close second is that I must also have a sunroof, so I had the dealer take it to the place that does all the dealer roof installs in Indianapolis (will provide paperwork; it has a lifetime warranty on parts) and paid nearly $1,200 for that. Additionally, the front end just looked so blah without the fog lights, so I ordered the OEM fog lights from a VW dealer and had my dealer install them, as well as the OEM lip spoiler. Another $1,000 for those two. Finally, no ride is complete without tint, so it has a 5% tint all the way around. In black, it looks awesome. I also had the grocery hooks installed in the trunk (I can't believe those aren't standard). My plan had been to buy 18" rims from a Passat CC or GTI when the tires were done, but unfortunately for me (but fortunately for you), the tires still measure 10/32. Lastly, it has the Monster Mat set, but not the one for the trunk.

PHOTOS: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjCaoFsR

I've had the two main services done at Falcone VW and have the records for those plus a couple of warranty repairs and one recall. I also just received a letter last week extending the warranty on the turbo to 10 years and over 100k miles, and it provides a place to transfer that warranty to the new owner, which I will do upon purchase. It has a clean CarFax to show it’s been maintained and never in any accidents, which I will provide to interested buyers. Yes, I paid the $50 to pull it.

Of course, no used car is pristine. There are a couple of surface scratches on the bumper (from Ikea trips) and one very small door ding that wouldn't even show up in the pictures I took because it's not that noticeable. One wheel has a very small (<2") curb rash along the edge. The interior is very clean, and nothing negative to note.

I have a loan on the beauty through a credit union that is regional in Indiana, and can go to a branch to finalize the transaction with you so that they have all the information to send the title to you. I'm not comfortable doing a remote transaction and/or shipping the car to you. I can pick you up from the Indianapolis International Airport if it comes to that, or I can meet you up to an hour and a half from Indy. I don’t want to sound inflexible, but I just want to keep it as simple as possible for everyone.

$24,000 O.B.O. Reply to this thread or PM me.

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Man, if I was in the market for a Passat... This would be the one. I love the idea of Manual tranny with upgrades. GLWS!

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
The car is great. However, the 2015 model Passat TDI is about 2inches wider and has a higher out put, I believe 185hp diesel engine. What is your car loan payment and how many more payments remains as well as at what interest rate.

tdinerd75

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6M
I think you're thinking of the Euro only 2015 Passat. The US Passat does get the new TDI engine for 2015, but no cosmetic changes. The Euro Passat is now on the MQB modular platform that will make the model over there bigger than the last one (which was also different from ours), but we don't get the MQB model until the 2018 model year. The new US TDI engine makes 150hp (up 10) and the same torque, and it drops one mpg in the city and gains one on the highway (30/44 vs 31/43 for mine) yielding the same 35mpg combined. Not much of a gain. It makes a much bigger difference in the Jetta, which now gets 46 on the highway. Take that Chevy Cruze TD!

Also, I'm not interested in turning over payments to a new owner, and I'd rather not disclose all the details of my loan, as they are impertinent to any sale. The price is OBO, as I do have a little wiggle room. The dealer won't give me more value for the sunroof and fog lights, so I thought I'd give the VW fans a shot.

Thanks for your posts.

Last edited:

tdinerd75

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6M
I should also clarify that I have no problem dealing with an out of state buyer. I just won't accept an online payment and ship it sight unseen. I'm happy to answer questions, schedule a test drive, do a FaceTime call while driving it if someone wants to see that. I'm tech savvy and happy to jump through a few of those types of hoops for the interested buyer.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup (1.6 IDI), 1990 Corrado TDI, 2010 Audi A5
I had absolutely no issue getting a manual Passat TDI. I have a hard time believing they're really that rare.

tdinerd75

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6M
I hope I'm not being lumped into a category of "stealers." When I bought the car, most people were waiting months to get their hands on one; my dealer was able to steal it from another dealer who hadn't found a buyer yet because it was still on the truck. My dealer had to wait until he got a TDI SEL in because that's all the other dealer would take in trade. I only waited two weeks to get it, so I was lucky two years ago.

Approximately 20% of Passats sold are diesels, and I read that a VW exec said the manual uptake rate was about 5% of those. That's 1% of all Passats. VW sold 109,652 Passats in 2013, which means about 1,100 manual TDI models. Demand is down these days, so I'm sure there are a few manual models sitting on lots.

I'm neither uninformed nor dishonest. The manual Passat is a rare car. Rarity doesn't mean you can't find one; it means there aren't many out there. Not all of us are crazy enough to demand a stick with our family sedans. But there are forums for those of us who are. Ha.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Manual uptake is less than 10% of all vehicles and dropping across the board but is likely higher in diesels. You can claim you're not uninformed but you should probably substantiate those values (aside from the 109k Passat sales pulled from Wikipedia) - your estimate seems low.

Last edited:

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
If you know the right folks they are not that rare.....The "stealers" want you to believe they are rare......So they can increase the "toll"....
:rolleyes:

Is that a shot @ me? Being in the car business I've certainly been called much worse than that :D. I go to 5 car auctions a week and also used the Manhiem (OVE), Adesa and Auction Pipeline websites to hunt for a 12 Passat SE 6 speed with out of warranty mileage.

Searching the country with OVE.com - there is ONE (1) Passat NMS 6 speed w/ 19K miles - more than I want to spend on one. If that is not rare, not sure what is. I have nothing to gain for stating this, I was buying one for myself to drive. I am sure you can find 6 Speed Passats for sale on dealer lots, but I was not looking to pay retail.

A 200 mile search on autotrader.com comes back with NONE.

Verilux101

TDI
2013 Passat, 6M
The car is great. However, the 2015 model Passat TDI is about 2inches wider and has a higher out put, I believe 185hp diesel engine. What is your car loan payment and how many more payments remains as well as at what interest rate.
The only thing correct in your post is that this car is great. Everything else is wrong, completely wrong.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Searching the country with OVE.com - there is ONE (1) Passat NMS 6 speed w/ 19K miles - more than I want to spend on one. If that is not rare, not sure what is. I have nothing to gain for stating this, I was buying one for myself to drive. I am sure you can find 6 Speed Passats for sale on dealer lots, but I was not looking to pay retail.

A 200 mile search on autotrader.com comes back with NONE.
If you're looking for Passat's with an absurd metric (like having exactly 19k miles) - sure, they're rare. :confused:

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Don't want to rain on the parade here, but the price seems a little steep for the current market conditions for Passats, only because a new TDI SE manual can be had for well under $23k. Then add the fog lights and sunroof and you're pretty close to the price being offered. It might be hard to find the black/cornsilk combo, but there are two cars in my local area, black/black combo and a white/cornsilk combo. VW is throwing incentive money at dealers to get rid of 2014 inventory, TDI or not. You can get over $5k off sticker now if you go in to a dealer prepared, especially in the Charlotte, NC area.

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Gentlemen,

The man is offering a car for sale. If you want to buy the car, by all means ask him questions. But why do you want to troll his for sale ad? If you don't want to buy - why not just move on and take the discussion some place else?

Now, I will take my own suggestion and just move on.

LSYJ

TDI
99 Jetta 5spd 285k
Damn if this is for sale by some chance after the first of the year ill be all over it.

MikeB4

TDI
1997 Passat TDI Sedan, Candy White
That's beautiful! And, it's in my town, too! Unfortunately, my employment situation makes me a seller right now and not a buyer as well . . . :-(