What size socket for oil filter?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
FlyTDI Guy said:
Should be 74mm though many would say 76mm.
Most use a 76 mm, 14 flute oil filter wrench... If you ever get down to the U.S., an AutoZone "B" cap wrench is about $5... If there's a Lordco store near you, it's p/n 70783... about C$8...

Yuri

PS: as far as putting it on too tight... I could swear that the squirrels sneak in there when I'm not looking and tighten it down...

cdods

TDI
2004 Golf
I just use a cheap strap wrench, available at crappy tire amongst many other places. Even though I tighten by hand, I can never get it off without the strap wrench.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I've had problems with the plastic ones (especially the loose fitting 76mm) getting half cocked on the flats when you put any force on them. They end up sticking in the socket and can be a bear to dislodge. I just do mine hand tight now when re-installing and make sure it's seated 100%. Even then, by oil change time, I may have to crack it w/the wrench. Getting the 'real deal' Assenmacher metal wrench solved all the plastic o-sized wrench problems. Specs are 74.5mm x 14 flats and it was only about $15. Money well spent in my book...

anahata

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF GLS, 4dr, silver, 5sp,
ymz said:
Most use a 76 mm, 14 flute oil filter wrench... If you ever get down to the U.S., an AutoZone "B" cap wrench is about $5... If there's a Lordco store near you, it's p/n 70783... about C$8...

Yuri

PS: as far as putting it on too tight... I could swear that the squirrels sneak in there when I'm not looking and tighten it down...
This one is steel and will likely never fail me. I actually use a torque wrench to be sure I don't over tighten it. (my hand can provide more than enough force!)