Fans running after car is turned off?

EnigmaMan

TDI
2011 Jetta
I drive ~170 miles / day to/from work. Last night when I got off the interstate I drove about a mile @ 45mph and pulled into a store lot I sat and let the engine run for about a min or two to let the turbo cool down before shutting it off.

When I turned off the car the fans sounded like they were running on high and I went into the store.. about 5-7 mins later I came back out and the fans were still running on high.. Is this normal or should I have cooled off the engine longer?

Please note, its still 75*-80*+ here in south FL right now in the middle of December! (if anybody has any extra snow to donate, send it our way! we are in a severe snow drought! :D)

Even though I've been told I "don't need a turbo timer" I'm seriously thinking about figuring out how to install one for turbo longevity.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
You have been on this site for over two months and you haven't found out about the fans running at shut down due to the normal regen cycle? Seriously, you need to spend some time reading here so you can learn about your car.

EnigmaMan

TDI
2011 Jetta
I thought it was part of the regen process, but that is the first time it has ever done this so I figured I would ask. 99% of my driving is on the interstate.

Forgive me for being a N00b..

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I drive ~170 miles / day to/from work. Last night when I got off the interstate I drove about a mile @ 45mph and pulled into a store lot I sat and let the engine run for about a min or two to let the turbo cool down before shutting it off.
When I turned off the car the fans sounded like they were running on high and I went into the store.. about 5-7 mins later I came back out and the fans were still running on high.. Is this normal or should I have cooled off the engine longer?
Please note, its still 75*-80*+ here in south FL right now in the middle of December! (if anybody has any extra snow to donate, send it our way! we are in a severe snow drought! :D)
Even though I've been told I "don't need a turbo timer" I'm seriously thinking about figuring out how to install one for turbo longevity.
You shut down during an active regen. Nothing to worry about.

As for a turbo timer, don't waste your money. Whoever's been telling you that you don't need one is absolutely correct. Spend the money on something else.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
All I can say is VW dealers do a sh^tty job of orienting new buyers with their cars........

kassel

TDI
(2) 2011 Jetta TDI - DSG / 06.5 JETTA SE DSG
Like Plus 3 Golfer said - do a search and read on fans running. You'll find a ton of information here. Keep posting the questions that's what this is all about. If folks didn't ask questions then this forum would be useless.

New member or not, your questions are valid and welcome so keep them coming.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Like Plus 3 Golfer said - do a search and read on fans running. You'll find a ton of information here. Keep posting the questions that's what this is all about. If folks didn't ask questions then this forum would be useless.

If the question has been answered many times before, it would be better to look for it first, then ask about details or clarification within an existing thread.

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Continue to seek information -- it will eventually appear.

Fm > EnigmaMan
.....When I turned off the car the fans sounded like they were running on high and I went into the store.. about 5-7 mins later I came back out and the fans were still running on high.. Is this normal or should I have cooled off the engine longer? .....​
Here is some information on the subject: I can't give credit, as I've forgotten from where I got it.

But --- Four types of Regens (Regenerations):

Passive
Active
Distance ( Every 450>620 Miles )
Customer Initiated
Service

On 2009-2011 VW Common Rail (CR) engines, extended idling is likely to cause excessive soot loading of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), there are numerous and extensive threads on the DPF, search for them, excessive idling is also discussed in your owner's manual, clearly states, "start and go". But to summarize, our new "Clean Diesel" engines employ a filtering mechanism as part of the emission system. The DPF is designed to operate at road speeds, the DPF must periodically 'burn off' the collected soot, the process is called 'DPF Regeneration', the types are categorized below by how much soot loading the ECM detects (As measured in grams):

<18 grams - "Passive" Regeneration

18-24 grams - "Active" Regeneration is triggered (ECM initiates post combustion fuel injection to raise exhaust temps)

24-40 grams - "Customer Initiated" Regeneration (Diesel Particle Filter Indicator Lamp in the instrument panel will light up. Car should be driven at extended highway speed)

40-45grams - "Service" Regenerations (Diesel Particle Filter Indicator Lamp and Glow Plug Indicator Lamp will light up simultaneously. Car should be taken to dealer immediately)

>45grams - DPF replacement

"Distance" Regeneration: is a distance-dependent regeneration of the particulate filter. The Engine Control Module initiates an active regeneration automatically if during the last 466 to 621 miles (750 to 1000 km) of travel no successful regeneration has taken place, regardless of the load condition in the diesel particulate filter. Distance regeneration serves as additional safeguard to minimize the load condition of the diesel particulate filter.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

Actually, if the forum consisted only of questions it would be useless. If it only had answers then it would still have value...

New and unique questions have value. A well informed and knowledgable member with a new and unique question is valued above gold and jewels! :)

Bill

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Good info > Luke <

Here is an interesting PDF pretty much describing same thing. Thanks to MacBuckeye for posting this in the DPF data page in the emissions sub-forum.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/4323/VW_DPF_Regen_System_Info.pdf

It says it in the article, but > Luke < said it too (as well as all over the forum), but don't let these engines sit and idle for long extended periods. This goes for warmup where extra fuel is introduced to aid warm-up of the oxidation catalyst and DPF to get the to operating temp faster.

Kind of OT if referring to OP, but figure it is good info if others are searching through the forums.

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
...............don't let these engines sit and idle for long extended periods.
This goes for warmup, where extra fuel is introduced to aid warm-up of the oxidation catalyst and DPF to get to operating temp faster..........
Super reminder/reinforcement........

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
The only reason I let mine sit and idle is to clear the "fog" that comes in on the inside of the windows as soon as it is started. Took about 5 minutes this morning for the aux heaters to clear it off. Engine temp was at about 100 deg F by that time.

bluelineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT
I've read from multiple gurus here that about 30 seconds is sufficient for the turbo to cool down. Also, if you are going slow in a residential neighborhood, this cools it down too (after driving higher speeds).

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
I've read from multiple gurus here that about 30 seconds is sufficient for the turbo to cool down. Also, if you are going slow in a residential neighborhood, this cools it down too (after driving higher speeds).
As always, these reminders/alerts continue to keep us on our toes, relative to our first diesel.