Intercooler Service bulletin

renegade39

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
I may have the opportunity to have this TSB covered under warranty on my wife's JSW TDI tomorrow. Will this really help or does it change any operating characteristics of the engine? I don't want someone taking the car apart for a not necessary, noneffective fix if it doesn't really do anything beneficial or if it harms the car in the long run. There are some mechanics who take short cuts and leave fasteners and parts out when they work on customers cars. I hate that. Also, when they take a jack knife and a roll of electrical tape to the wireing. Can anyone help me on this prior to Monday morning early, please? Thanks, John

Rayzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
If you read through the 100's of posts on this, you will find that the results from the upgraded intercooler is a mixed bag..some say the problem is still there.

I subscribe to the camp that says check and drain the lower intercooler hose at each oil change. It seems that there's a 50/50ish chance the upgrade helps, however I think the bigger dynamic is the weather temp and humidity for any given day your road trip happens to be combined with the low pressure EGR system.

How often have you had the problem? For me, it was once at 37K miles. I'm thinking a check and drain at every 10K will be the best approach in my case.

renegade39

TDI
ntercooler Technical Service Bulletin

Rayzer,
I live in Virginia and we have a 2012 JSW TDI and a 2012 Golf TDI. Last week it was cold and the engine destroyed itself on start up. Never had a problem with it. I don't know if I trust the dealer I bought them from to work on them anymore. I have the Golf in Richmond getting a used engine installed. The JSW has only 24,000 mile and stays inside the garage. I thought about having the TSB done on it but now I am wavering. I bought these cars from Casey VW in Newport News,Va. They have been very nice to me but once the mechanic left some of the trim off the front of the golf. It now has 87,000 miles. When they pu new tires on last year, they didn't notice the rear struts needed changing and they didn't do an alignment so the expensive new tires wore right out quickly. I hate it when mechanics botch up my cars for neglect and poor workmanship.
I may just go with having the IC hose drained at oil change. I coulld use some opinions.

SundanceGS

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition (bought back), 2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel (Totaled), 2013 Audi Q7 TDI (current)
Hello Renegade,

I had the kit installed a couple of years ago but I continue to have issues when the weather conditions are right (when it's cold and humid... or when it's very cold (less than 18 degrees F) and not as humid). I'm not saying the kit won't fix your issues but it didn't for me.

I hope it solves your problem if you decide to get it. Nothing worse than getting a "fix" and still having the original issue (or new ones).

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Renegade here's some "light" reading that may help you figure out a better solution then the TSB that has been known to still have issues with freezing up...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=428684

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=386138

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=431560

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=336270

You may also want to simply pull off the snorkel that connects the intake air-box to the front grill. This will prevent the intake of super cooled air and will instead intake warmer air from inside the engine bay. A few folks have had success with this small mod.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I may have the opportunity to have this TSB covered under warranty on my wife's JSW TDI tomorrow. Will this really help or does it change any operating characteristics of the engine? I don't want someone taking the car apart for a not necessary, noneffective fix if it doesn't really do anything beneficial or if it harms the car in the long run. There are some mechanics who take short cuts and leave fasteners and parts out when they work on customers cars. I hate that. Also, when they take a jack knife and a roll of electrical tape to the wireing. Can anyone help me on this prior to Monday morning early, please? Thanks, John
drill baby drill

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Rayzer,
I live in Virginia and we have a 2012 JSW TDI and a 2012 Golf TDI. Last week it was cold and the engine destroyed itself on start up. Never had a problem with it. I don't know if I trust the dealer I bought them from to work on them anymore. I have the Golf in Richmond getting a used engine installed. The JSW has only 24,000 mile and stays inside the garage. I thought about having the TSB done on it but now I am wavering. I bought these cars from Casey VW in Newport News,Va. They have been very nice to me but once the mechanic left some of the trim off the front of the golf. It now has 87,000 miles. When they pu new tires on last year, they didn't notice the rear struts needed changing and they didn't do an alignment so the expensive new tires wore right out quickly. I hate it when mechanics botch up my cars for neglect and poor workmanship.
I may just go with having the IC hose drained at oil change. I coulld use some opinions.
Not so sure your IC hose draining at oil change will keep the intercooler icing from happening. I fought with VW all last winter had it checked several times got the run around. Had another intercooler icing 1-1-15 at 59754, seemed to start around the same time it did last year. Removed IC hose and cleaned out 1-2-15 at 59824 miles see pics below. Made an appointment at a dealer to have it checked for intercooler icing 1-6-15 at 59944 they found moisture and gunk in system, diagnosed intercooler icing VW would not pay for the TSB work at that point so I was told. Picked up car 1-6-25 drove wife to the Dr. on Thursday 1-8-15 temp 6 deg. when we left home around 25 deg after we returned home around noon pulled the car in the garage after the 140 mile trip. Went to leave that evening, car would not start, it was hydrolocked. So only drove it around a total of 300 miles in 2 days after the IC system was cleaned out by service department and still had intercooler icing. So I feel it can happen anytime the weather condition are right or should I say wrong! LOL Car has now been towed to a different service department. So I feel drilling the small hole in the IC hose or unplugging the manifold are two options to try.

The image below is all the gunk that came out of the IC hose pushing a paper towel thru it one time 1-2-15

Last edited:

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP

The image below is all the gunk that came out of the IC hose pushing a paper towel thru it one time 1-2-15

I had the same issue, but it was not that bad as your ic hose. I cleaned them out. So it's far, it's been good!

renegade39

TDI
Guys, thanks for the replys and info. Guess we will forgo the TSB. My wife has lost confidence in the dealer we bought the two new cars from, Casey VW in Newport News,Va. Guess we will find a new service department somewhere else. Reading here indicates the brake fliud should have been changed at 30,000 miles. My golf tdi has over 86,000 miles and I am fairly certain the dealer did not change the brake fluid among other things.

LaTuFu

TDI
2010 JSW, 2005 Passat Wagon BHW
renegade39, I would recommend checking with Brown's VW in Richmond, if you want a dealership relationship. I know that's the opposite end of the Neck for you, and might be a little longer trip than running down to the beach. On the other hand, 360 through Tappahanock is a much prettier drive than 64. (It's easily as pretty as 17, I suppose)

Also, generally speaking, I have found that you are always better off being "forewarned and forearmed" with information when going in for service with any dealership, regardless of make.

I always read owner forums for every car I've ever owned. You have to do the "grain of salt" method of reading. Just because 4 different guys posted about the flux capacitor clogging on their car on the 5th Tuesday of next month doesn't necessarily mean your car will have the same problem. But you will definitely find out if there are systemic issues like the IC icing.

Going in to the dealer prepared with a little knowledge makes it easier to work with the Service Writer. Most of them, believe it or not, are not experts on fixing cars, and many times they are new to VWs and especially the particulars of dealing with TDIs. Because of this, they won't necessarily know that there is a TSB available or whether or not your vehicle is covered by a particular recall notice.

As for things like strut replacements, sometimes it is more of a case of "they don't know what they don't know." If you haven't complained of a problem with the suspension, and there is nothing on the ticket that tells the tech to inspect the struts, they generally won't do that. Most service visits are expensive enough that they are not going to "freelance" into work they were not asked to do. That puts them at risk of not getting paid, or worse, they make a mistake and mess up something--that they weren't supposed to be working on anyway--and now they're on the hook to make it right.

Can't really excuse the "leaving parts off" aspect of it. I have had my fair share of that done as well, it is very aggravating. I had that happen to me with a MKIV Jetta. The tech left the belly pan off of the car after an oil change. My dealership techs decided it was much easier for them to work on if they didn't have to keep removing this "unnecessary" (to them) piece of equip. I wound up making them replace it at their cost, and would have to look under the car after every visit to make sure they put it back on. I've also had screwdrivers left in the engine compartment, and other careless mistakes. Fortunately, however, the service has always been good other than these mistakes, and none of their mistakes were anything that resulted in a mechanical problem on the cars. They've never given me any trouble when I have to go back and get them to make things right.

Last edited:

JungleFBS

Account disabled, user request
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Guys, thanks for the replys and info. Guess we will forgo the TSB. My wife has lost confidence in the dealer we bought the two new cars from, Casey VW in Newport News,Va. Guess we will find a new service department somewhere else. Reading here indicates the brake fliud should have been changed at 30,000 miles. My golf tdi has over 86,000 miles and I am fairly certain the dealer did not change the brake fluid among other things.

If you read all the icing threads no one has indicated that the TSB does any harm to the vehicle just that it doesn't always work as intended and that VW doesn't seem to be in a hurry to offer a permanent solution to the problem. You are better off getting it done when offered because it does help some of the time, just not all, and to a lesser extent so VW can't deny any additional work down the road if you haven't had it installed. My icing tows were 70k in between.

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
If you read all the icing threads no one has indicated that the TSB does any harm to the vehicle just that it doesn't always work as intended and that VW doesn't seem to be in a hurry to offer a permanent solution to the problem. You are better off getting it done when offered because it does help some of the time, just not all, and to a lesser extent so VW can't deny any additional work down the road if you haven't had it installed. My icing tows were 70k in between.
I agree if they offer to do the install under the TSB I would have it done. For the reason mentioned above! I think I would want a service department that is knowledgeable with the job needed done.

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
I had mine done on Friday. Main reason was to have it on my record, in case of future issues.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Also see

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=431560

Drilling a drain hole in the Intercooler plumbing.

This we be my next step.

If I wasn't still under warranty, I would have drilled already.

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe from the EGR. That is normal.

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Yup! Before that egr clogged up the intake manifold. Now that pos system gunks up everything. Great engineering there. Then theres the dpf. It's designed to eventually clog up too from all that ash that has nowhere to go. Best bet to get rid of it all before it becomes a money pit.

renegade39

TDI
The dealership , West Broad Street VW iv Richmond has installed the used engine in my 2102 Golf TDI. The old engine was about to shake itself out of the car. I removed the pan from the old MK Vi today engine and found the bolt that holds the sproket broken at its head, leaving the sprocket to wobble on the oil pump shaft. The chain was still on it and it is possible the pump worked enough to prevent the engine from making toast of itself, though I doubt that the way it was shaking. Tomorrow, I will remove the rod and main bearing caps and the crankshaft for inspection and will post my findings. I still believe the engine had hydrostatic lock. VWoA declined any help on costs because the mechanic at the dealership told them the noise came from the botttom of the engine. I will find out tomorrow if the crank is OK. Maybe I will even remove the rods and pistons to see if a rod is bent. Later, I will remove the head. There is a lot of crap to remove from this souped up little engine. More sensors than a Saturn V......... John