High mileage CR - post it up!

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Well, the wagon came in again @ 417789 miles. Had burnt/worn starter solenoid contacts and turbo actuator diaphrame ruptured. After a couple parts and chaffed wiring behind the oil filter housing it left to go work some more.

Jason
I'm in love with this car lol

My car keeps throwing the p0401 code, not sure what to do :(

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Get your DPF replaced under warranty. Or, do a DPF delete.
124,000 miles on the car, no warranty anymore.

I want to do a delete, but I live in NY and the chance of passing inspection with the tune doesn't seem to be certain. I'm getting sick of dealing with this already. I love the car and want to drive it for years to come. Just don't want to have to keep going through this.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
124,000 miles on the car, no warranty anymore.
I want to do a delete, but I live in NY and the chance of passing inspection with the tune doesn't seem to be certain. I'm getting sick of dealing with this already. I love the car and want to drive it for years to come. Just don't want to have to keep going through this.
Might be worth a chance to see if the dealer will help with the cost. If they can do it for under $1k I'd go that route...
How stringent is NY with the inspections?

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Like some others, I don't feel I match up to the pilot car mileage in the OP. However, I'm at 148,000 on my 2010 JSW. I'm running original brakes, DPF, turbo. It drives like new as well and cleans up really nice. I bought the car in late 2011 with 22k on the clock.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Might be worth a chance to see if the dealer will help with the cost. If they can do it for under $1k I'd go that route...
How stringent is NY with the inspections?
Not sure, all I have heard about is readiness, readiness, readiness lol

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Get your DPF replaced under warranty. Or, do a DPF delete.
I'm at 192k, and dealers wanted like $4k just in parts for dpf and cat

I'm highly considering replumbing it with some easy flow exhaust and going Malone.... Only $1200 in parts and flash. And I can turn wrenches myself. Since its manual no dsg headache costs, and makes stage 2 cheap

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
And the higher cost, in your case, is just because a one year only model that needs the whole system replaced to make it like the later models. I wonder if you could just buy the DPF and have a muffler shop cut it in? The main difference was the one piece DPF/NOx cat the later models are sold as two piece.

Too bad after market parts suppliers haven't jumped in on this.

Jason

Cary G

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr.
I'm at 240,000 km. I have the DPF delete with malone stage 1 and complete Rawtek 3" exhaust system.
so far i have changed my timing belt and water pump, both front bearings and both rear rotors and brake pads.
Car is running great except that my AC is dead now. I'm havung trouble locating the problem to get the system going again.
Other than the AC, the car is running great, especially with the malone and Rawtek mods.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
The actual DPF delete is not easy by any means. If you don't have a lift then good luck.
I have a pit with an overhead hoist, and I'm still too lazy to do it. Ha. I was eyeballing it when I had the gearbox out.

nakkers

TDI
2014 Golf Wagen TDI DSG CL
2013 Sportwagon with 80,000 kms since September 7, 2013. Other than regular service requirements, has been very reliable and a great car.

It's a company provided car so, I'm limited to what I can order through the leasing company. Comfortline trim with no upgrades other than allowing bluetooth for cell phone connection. If I play my cards right, I can sometimes sneak in some minor upgrades like window tint etc.

Things I've noticed.

The Bad? Fuel cap sitting against the paint every fill up. Meh.

Rear bumper paint fade looks like it's a 10 year old Hyundai.

Front driver storage is very limited.

The good?

Drives and feels just like new. No creaks or rattles.

Still comfortable.

Fuel consumption.

I'd buy one.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The Bad? Fuel cap sitting against the paint every fill up. Meh.
Donno if its the same as the golf but my 2011 golf has notches in the fuel cap that you can set the cap on the top of the fuel door while filling... It kinda works okay if you're careful with the nozzle.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I'm at 240,000 km. I have the DPF delete with malone stage 1 and complete Rawtek 3" exhaust system.
so far i have changed my timing belt and water pump, both front bearings and both rear rotors and brake pads.
Car is running great except that my AC is dead now. I'm havung trouble locating the problem to get the system going again.
Other than the AC, the car is running great, especially with the malone and Rawtek mods.
planning on passing Ontario missions with this set up?

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
none (formerly 2010 JSW DSG)
I'm at 192k, and dealers wanted like $4k just in parts for dpf and cat

I'm highly considering replumbing it with some easy flow exhaust and going Malone.... Only $1200 in parts and flash. And I can turn wrenches myself. Since its manual no dsg headache costs, and makes stage 2 cheap
If your dealer is quoting $4000 just for parts he's taking you for a ride or simply has no idea what he's talking about. Check around. Had my DPF, cat, pipes, gaskets and hardware done for less than $2400, parts AND labor. Parts were about $1400 and labor $890 (10 hours), with tax came to just under $2400.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
If your dealer is quoting $4000 just for parts he's taking you for a ride or simply has no idea what he's talking about. Check around. Had my DPF, cat, pipes, gaskets and hardware done for less than $2400, parts AND labor. Parts were about $1400 and labor $890 (10 hours), with tax came to just under $2400.
Then even at that great deal, not installing another headache is still half that price.

Cary G

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr.
"planning on passing Ontario missions with this set up?"

I'll worry about that in 2017.....i think that will be the time that it will need it's first test( the frist 6 years you don't need one....so on the 7th year i'll need one. Also i am planning to hopefully use my car for 8 years( by then the mileage will be about 720,000 km). The car might last that long or might not. The cost of maintenance will dictate that.
"

nakkers

TDI
2014 Golf Wagen TDI DSG CL
Donno if its the same as the golf but my 2011 golf has notches in the fuel cap that you can set the cap on the top of the fuel door while filling... It kinda works okay if you're careful with the nozzle.
Thanks ATR. One more thing off the bad list.....

Cheers.

tadurkee

Veteran Member
TDI
none (formerly 2010 JSW DSG)
tadurkee---jason_ has a 2009 and at some point in 2010 VW changed the system slightly to make it so not all pieces within the system have to changed at the same time if one fails. It is more expensive the first go round with problems to get the redesigned system put in place initially.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/d...ter-dpf-faq-repair-cleaning-and-pictures-tdi/
Thanks for the explanation. Didn't see that Jason has a 2009 and didn't realize the cost to replace his dpf would be so much higher than a 2010. Quite costly indeed. Glad I have a 2010 and sorry, Jason, that you have an expensive decision to make either way.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Thanks for the explanation. Didn't see that Jason has a 2009 and didn't realize the cost to replace his dpf would be so much higher than a 2010. Quite costly indeed. Glad I have a 2010 and sorry, Jason, that you have an expensive decision to make either way.
Going delete and Malone. Hands down. More torque, no more headache to clog, and cheaper then oem.

No inspection here.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
He is back 443,771 miles and still going strong. Throttle body acting up caused a stall/no start. Similar to anti-shudder valve getting stuck. Has had EGR flow faults for a short while so hopefully no DPF or EGR filter damage.

My car seems young at 144K miles ;)

Jason

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
He is back 443,771 miles and still going strong. Throttle body acting up caused a stall/no start. Similar to anti-shudder valve getting stuck. Has had EGR flow faults for a short while so hopefully no DPF or EGR filter damage.

My car seems young at 144K miles ;)

Jason
Man, that's a lot of miles already on that 2013 beetle.;)

angelman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sportswagon tdi
My wife's 2009 JSQ has 120k on it. Been very happy with the car so far. We had the metal shavings issue a year back which VW fixed for free thank goodness. Other than that not much to report. We had to replace the cruise control switch a couple of years ago. That said this week electrics all went wonky. Or rather door latches failed to lock, trunk latch broke (just stopped working at least), battery needs replacing and air bag light came on. Dealer quoted $1300 to replace whole air bag. I asked them to look again and they said they thought it was just the sensor (surely air bag shouldn't fail after just 5 years). My wife used to put a heavy backpack on the front passenger seat which maybe threw off the air bag sensor?
Dealer says front sway bar will need replacing soon, does that sound likely? What would cause that to fail (harsh driving, poor quality parts?) Sounds like it might be an expensive fix.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
The way the bushings are made onto the bar they cannot be replaced. At least some sway bars now require the whole bar in order to replace the bushings.

@angleman - either that car has been riden hard and put away wet (now a lot of deferred maintenance) or that shop is trying really hard to make their buck off you.

Jason