2011 JSW Odometer says error

ekall

TDI
2011 Sportwagen TDI
Any errors that popup are normal. No need to take the battery off for any amount of time as you just need to disconnect it and hold the pos & neg together for a few seconds. This discharges the capacitors apparently which is the cause of the problem. Has worked every time. Just patiently waiting for it to happen again...:D

jettabuddha

TDI
2002 Wagon, 2011 Sportswagen
Any errors that popup are normal. No need to take the battery off for any amount of time as you just need to disconnect it and hold the pos & neg together for a few seconds. This discharges the capacitors apparently which is the cause of the problem. Has worked every time. Just patiently waiting for it to happen again...:D
If it happens again, I'm reminded of this posting--thank you! Because this works!!!!!!:)<3

Ausca

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2011 Golf Wagon TDI
2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI odometer stopped working

Hello,
On October 25, 2017 I went to the local VW dealer with the complaint that my 2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI odometer stopped working and flashed an "error" message while alternately showing the last odometer reading, and the trip meter had disappeared. My car is out of warranty, but since it had just had the VW Emissions fix applied I assumed this issue was related to that work, but it was not.

The local VW dealer spent an hour @ $99.00 per hour analyzing it but could not get a code reading. Then they contacted VW Technical for a reason, eventually received answer and a further 1.6 hours later got it working again with a VW fix by discharging the system capacitor. Total cost CDN $298.66.
I complained to VW Canada customer service about the cost and that there was no warranty fix or recall. VW Canada contacted the dealer and discussed my complaint. I advised VW Canada by phone and the dealer by email that I would pay $100 and expected a refund for the balance.
I have not heard from the dealer yet.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
The odometer thing happened to my 2011 jsw, and I fixed it just now with the "capacitor discharge" technique described in this thread, and it worked. By far the kookiest car repair I've ever done but I'll take it.