2014 sportwagon tdi problems

Lou E

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Not to beat a dead horse on the Rain-X thing but my wife's Bluetec GLK has had the sensor replaced twice, it's a one year old car and dealer said if the car comes in with rain-x in the tank again they won't replace it.

Needless to say, we only use cheap blue fluid on our vehicles now!

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon
Wow! 2010 JSW, 85,000 miles and I have only used Rain X. No problems at all....unless the low washer bulb is burned out.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
The hordes of TDI owners across Canada (and Vermont, NH and Maine) would probably disagree with you. Only thing is that these take longer to warm up in the winter, why there is the aux heater on Canadian models. Been around -20 C here last few weeks, no issues whatsoever. Don't see any on the side of the road either so don't know where you get this 'info' from...

Sorry to hear about your problems, our 2013 has been flawless (knocking on wood). Sounds like the dealer you are going to is clueless, might be time to bring it somewhere else for service (does not excuse the problems you are having). Bet you they are using Rain-X and don't know that it kills the sensor.
I concur. Our 2013 wagon has also been flawless except for the exhaust flap module needing replacement under warranty, and VW has extended the warranty to 193k km for that part. We've never had cold starting problems.

My 2011 as well is running very well in the cold weather we've been having. I've had the IC water/ice problem with it (but not the 2013) but not lately. Sometimes it's been parked outside at -20C and colder and always starts even if I forget to plug it in. In the really cold stuff it'll *****, moan and clatter briefly on startup, and one drives off gently in those situations.

Otherwise yes they are slow to heat up even in cold weather; the frost heater helps tremendously for that, as do the heated seats :p

But there's no really big issues. Heck even our old B5.5 Passat, 2005 with 275k km, has no issues with the cold. It has NO block heater and lives outside. Starts no problem in the cold though it is really smoky and clattery until it gets going.

There's no point in trying to warm these cars up at idle. At idle they definitely won't warm up, they're too efficient and not enough waste heat. They needs to have some load to warm up. Just start, and as soon as the idle smooths out a bit, drive off gently until the temp gauge moves off the peg. Then you're good to go.

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Been plenty cold and snowy where I am this winter-- and last winter as well- and I have not had any issue with the car starting in cold weather (actual -10 deg F, as opposed to fake wind chill temps). I leave it in the ACC position until the glow plug light goes out, and then crank it, and it starts within 2 cranks even on the coldest day.

I have no block heater. I drive off within 45 seconds of starting the engine, and drive gently until the temp gauge starts moving. I don't get good heat until the engine is working, and on the really cold days I take a different route that goes up a steep hill, which gives me heat within 5 minutes of starting the engine, which is faster than our gasoline guzzling Explorer. Before those five minutes, the seat heater more than suffices. (Usually I forget I put it on until my rear end starts to sizzle.)

The single and only cold weather issue I have had, now through nearly 2 winters, is that the car is a little low and bottoms out more easily than other vehicles. With that single exception, this is as good a cold weather car that I have ever had.

With respect to the Rain-X, this is an issue with any vehicle, VW or otherwise, that uses the type of sensor in our car. It is not a float in the tank, that triggers the light when it goes low. It uses an electrode to pass a small current through the liquid in the reservoir. Because washer fluid has salts dissolved into it to lower the freezing point, it is an electrolyte, and conducts the current. When the level of the liquid goes below the sensor, the liquid cannot conduct the current, opening the circuit and tripping the sensor.

Rain-X contains certain dissolved chemicals that lubricate the windshield. They are kind of like wax. Last year Rain-X changed the formula for its orange fluid-- the bottles say "NEW FORMULA!" They changed the formula by adding more of those lubricant compounds. The problem is that the lubricants precipitate out of the fluid, and coat the inside of the reservoir. When this stuff coats the sensor, the light current is blocked and the circuit is always open even if the reservoir is full.

I saw the reservoir come out of my TDI when this happened to me, and sure enough it looked like it had a coating of petroleum jelly across the bottom. This happened about a week after using the "New" formula for the first time. Afterward, my neighbor "rescued" my case of Rain-X fluid, and used it in his Dodge truck, and after another week was in need of a new washer fluid sensor.

Use the blue stuff. It does not matter if you have used Rain-X for years, because the Rain-X you used for all of that time is not the same stuff they are selling now.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Why do people use RainX? The regular washing stuff works fine, and it only takes a few minutes to clean the windows using any brand of window cleaner.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Use the blue stuff. It does not matter if you have used Rain-X for years, because the Rain-X you used for all of that time is not the same stuff they are selling now.
Actually, none of the washer fluid is the same as it was. They used to be heavy in glycol and worked well at lower temps. Also worked at light defrosting. The fluids now are higher in alcohol and not as lubricating. Also, the alcohol based fluid will not help with defrosting, but will instead make it freeze harder. It's all in lowering volatile organic compounds in most things.