Trusted source for gti steering wheel airbag?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Pretty much just as the subject says...

I recently purchased a gti steering wheel, but it didn't come with a airbag. I'm leary of buying one off ebay without knowing for sure the seller is legit. Tried calling two dealerships and they both want Vin numbers before they will give a price (I understand the reasons why so I'm not complaining).

In case anyone is wondering, the airbag in the Golf wheel is NOT compatible with the gti wheel.

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Hey, in case you didn't know, there are MANY airbags that fit the GTI steering wheel.

2010-2014 Golf without the multi-function steering wheel
2010-2015 Tiguan without multi-function
Any GLI/GTI/Golf R airbag
2010-2014 Jetta without multi-function OR without volume control

Sometimes people like to charge more because its a "GTI" airbag when in reality, it's the same as many other VWs.

Try Autohaas in NJ or check the VW classifieds on vortex

ex: this is the same airbag

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Hey, in case you didn't know, there are MANY airbags that fit the GTI steering wheel.

2010-2014 Golf without the multi-function steering wheel
2010-2015 Tiguan without multi-function
Any GLI/GTI/Golf R airbag
2010-2014 Jetta without multi-function OR without volume control

Sometimes people like to charge more because its a "GTI" airbag when in reality, it's the same as many other VWs.

Try Autohaas in NJ or check the VW classifieds on vortex.
Thanks!
I knew that there were a few other cars that I could get them for. I was simply specific on gti steering wheel because everyone knows what I'm talking about.

The whole reason I am looking for a legitimate seller is so I have paperwork to back up the fact that it's a airbag that leaves no worries about it. I would hate to think what might happen in a accident if I bought from a unethical seller.

There's also a issue with buying from a junkyard where the front bags didn't go off but we're exposed to water from a fire truck or rainstorm while the windows were open. These conditions can cause internal issues to the airbag and may not correctly deploy during a accident.

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Yeah I hear you on your concerns. I thought I remember Autohaas getting a Jetta that was rear ended. That might be a good bet!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks for the heads up on the jetta. I may call them about that one. I'm still open to other suggestions include though.
Thanks!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
So to update this I picked up a airbag at the dealership because peace of mind is priceless...
In case anyone wants/needs the part number for the correct airbag:
5k0880201ac81u

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
airbags are cool, but nothing beats a good seatbelt.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
airbags are cool, but nothing beats a good seatbelt.
Agreed! But they work hand in hand to help prevent injuries.:cool:

Still haven't gotten it installed yet. I'll likely have the time and sunlight needed this Saturday...

And yes I know...

They will be here soon nuff :cool:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
As promised here are the pictures...

I found out that the steering wheel was off a few degrees to the left AFTER the airbag/wheel was fully installed. :eek:
Had to pull it all back off and go to the next notch clockwise (right)
This is how the marks looked when the wheel was

INCORRECTLY installed:

Note that the mark on the steering column is closer to the right side of the mark on the steering wheel. From my findings the mark on the column has to be closer to the left side of the mark on the steering wheel.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
So because I didn't take a picture of the wheel correctly installed I photo shopped the photo above to show what a correctly installed wheel looks like. (Again, note the marks on the wheel and column).

CORRECTLY INSTALLED

Last edited:

UATDI

TDI
'13 Golf 6MT
So to update this I picked up a airbag at the dealership because peace of mind is priceless...
In case anyone wants/needs the part number for the correct airbag:
5k0880201ac81u
Was it significantly more expensive to go through the dealer? I am looking for an airbag now and I share your sentiment that it's nerve wracking to buy an airbag off of eBay when you do not know the seller is legitimate. It's just one of those items you want to make sure works right. That said, it sounds like going the dealer route can cost considerably more.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Yes it wasn't cheap, but the peace of mind IMHO was worth it.
I've been trying to sell my old steering wheel and airbag to try to recoup some of the cost. But I have a feeling that most folks see the for sale ad and think the same things we are thinking.

UATDI

TDI
'13 Golf 6MT
Yeah I know what you mean, I am leaning towards paying more for the peace of mind as well and I'll probably go with either Keffer VW or my local dealer depending on what they quote me. GLWS your old wheel and bag, I'll be in the same boat soon enough. Regardless, I am super excited for the golf r wheel!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Yeah I know what you mean, I am leaning towards paying more for the peace of mind as well and I'll probably go with either Keffer VW or my local dealer depending on what they quote me. GLWS your old wheel and bag, I'll be in the same boat soon enough. Regardless, I am super excited for the golf r wheel!
Golf R wheel huh? I'd be very interested to see that when you're done :cool:

***Take note when installing the wheel posts 9 & 10 above.***

UATDI

TDI
'13 Golf 6MT
Golf R wheel huh? I'd be very interested to see that when you're done :cool:
***Take note when installing the wheel posts 9 & 10 above.***
Sounds good, I'll post it up when I have it all installed eventually. Thanks for the tip regarding wheel install; my stock wheel has always been just slightly off-center, I wonder if it's due to the same issue you ran into when installing your new wheel.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Sounds good, I'll post it up when I have it all installed eventually. Thanks for the tip regarding wheel install; my stock wheel has always been just slightly off-center, I wonder if it's due to the same issue you ran into when installing your new wheel.
I doubt it was improperly installed from the factory. Chances are much better that you simply need an alignment. When I had the wheel improperly installed the car would drive straight with the wheel in the position that was it was in on post #9 above.

UATDI

TDI
'13 Golf 6MT
I doubt it was improperly installed from the factory. Chances are much better that you simply need an alignment. When I had the wheel improperly installed the car would drive straight with the wheel in the position that was it was in on post #9 above.
I don't think it's an alignment issue, it's been like that since the day I got the car new and it's like yours where it drives straight ahead with the wheel just slightly off-center. It doesn't pull to the side or anything, and it's so slight I hardly notice so it has never bothered me really. I will say it's much less off-center than the picture of your wheel, but its definitely a little off. I guess I'll find out when the time comes to put on the new wheel.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I don't think it's an alignment issue, it's been like that since the day I got the car new and it's like yours where it drives straight ahead with the wheel just slightly off-center. It doesn't pull to the side or anything, and it's so slight I hardly notice so it has never bothered me really. I will say it's much less off-center than the picture of your wheel, but its definitely a little off. I guess I'll find out when the time comes to put on the new wheel.
Here's what my wheel looked like driving straight ahead when it was installed in the incorrect position:

To me that's more then a "little" off.
Depending on warranty and such you may want to take it to the dealership to see if it's the wheel or the alignment at fault.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Sooo....
Come to find out My tips regarding the steering wheel position was a bit off after talking with a master VW technician at a local dealership. the line on the steering column must line up exactly with the one on the steering wheel.

I found this out after I needed to return the airbag because one of the clips on the back of it broke off... I spoke to the parts department there and they agreed to do a warranty exchange on the airbag. The only way that they would warranty the airbag however is having a tech install the airbag. I was able to work out a fair deal with the service manager for about 1 hour rate with a friends and family discount.

Last edited: