www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old February 14th, 2017, 12:33   #1
BAZ3713

TDI(s): GT TDI
Default Front tyres

Hey everyone, was wondering if any 1 had some advice on what tyres would be best for my golf 2.0 GT tdi, I bought the car with 16k on it and VW put 2 new front tyres on the car for me and they only lasted 10k, I then put toyo proxes on the car at 26k and now it has just turned 31k and they only have 4mm left, I dnt drive fast and my commute everyday is mostly motorway miles, the tyres are wearing 100% evenly.
Is this because the tyres i am buying or is it just a the type of car. What mileage are all you guys getting and is there any specific tyres i should buy.
Thanks barry. 👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAZ3713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 04:36   #2
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40s~50s~KBB $24,150 ~ F. B. Retail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZ3713 View Post
Hey everyone, was wondering if any 1 had some advice on what tyres would be best for my golf 2.0 GT tdi, I bought the car with 16k on it and VW put 2 new front tyres on the car for me and they only lasted 10k, I then put toyo proxes on the car at 26k and now it has just turned 31k and they only have 4mm left, I dnt drive fast and my commute everyday is mostly motorway miles, the tyres are wearing 100% evenly.

Is this because the tyres i am buying or is it just a the type of car. What mileage are all you guys getting and is there any specific tyres i should buy.
Thanks barry. 👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Something is wrong with this picture ~~ don't know what

Are you saying 5,000 miles on your TOYO tire are about shot?

I'm no fan of TOYO ~~ I'm still on my Original VW tires, as I only have a few miles.

Wish I could say something helpful.
2015vwgolfdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 09:00   #3
snoopy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/48/40

Even though your tires are wearing evenly, 5,000 miles on a set of tires is not right.

Michelin and Continental tires have always been good for me. Both manufacturers offer (in the US at least) a harder compound for longer tire life. I can get 70,000 miles out of a set of Michelin Defender tires without compromising my driving style...
Old February 17th, 2017, 08:27   #4
big_red

Your alignment is probably out of whack if your tires are wearing that quickly. I would get it checked before putting on new tires.
big_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 15:37   #5
Steve-o
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/42/32

Toyo slaps "Proxes" on its tires like Samsung uses "Galaxy" -- the brand covers lots of different tires with different purposes. Knowing which specific model would help, but it would have to be one of the all-out performance models being driven hard to give you just 5000 ticks (Glasgow -- km?).

The other posters are right -- get your vehicle to a shop that's known for doing alignments (this likely will not be the dealer) and have them check it out. Wouldn't hurt to make sure the tires are in balance, either, though you likely would feel severe imbalances through the steering wheel.

I get 30-40,000 miles per set of summer or winter tires. 5,000? It's not the car's design -- it's something else.