www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old February 14th, 2017, 08:24   #8911
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
All that in one breath kind of amazed me.
He just wanted to be your friend.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 04:49   #8912
Old Navy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28 mpg on PU, 33 on Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
He just wanted to be your friend.
Maybe.

Earlier this month I had a lady in TDI Jetta pass me then slow down slower then my CC setting when she passed so I changed lanes to pass and she sped up and at about 90mph she flipped me the bird and let me pass. Then earlier this week a guy in Jetta wagon do the pass me and slow down forcing me to again to either slow down or pass, and since it was divided 4 lane with little traffic again I went to other lane to pass and this time let my ECO Diesel badge stay by his window. Thing was he would not look and when I honked he still didn't look but also slowed down and dropped way back so I went on my way.

I guess my "Don't Tread On Me" snake decal scared him or he had no Idea I was diesel even though I had a diesel additive bumper sticker on my bumper.

Guess I was either considered Redneck Trump supporter (true) because of truck, and what appears to be the Gadson Flag, but is US Navy pennant flown on all US Navy Ships starting again in 2001 after 9-11-01 attack.

2014 Dodge 1500 V6 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab Cherry Red Metallic 28 mpg plus. Grandpa's ride.
Old Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 07:15   #8913
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post

Guess I was either considered Redneck Trump supporter (true) because of truck, and what appears to be the Gadson Flag, but is US Navy pennant flown on all US Navy Ships starting again in 2001 after 9-11-01 attack.
I thought it was being used as the U.S. Naval Jack at the ship's bow when in port. Is it being flown while underway also?

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about:

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)

Last edited by romad; February 16th, 2017 at 07:18. Reason: Added image of U.S. Naval Jack
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 03:02   #8914
Old Navy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28 mpg on PU, 33 on Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
I thought it was being used as the U.S. Naval Jack at the ship's bow when in port. Is it being flown while underway also?

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about:
Yes the Jack is flown from yard arm underway. It's an old tradition dating back to 1700's British Navy and their flying the Union Jack in port at the bow and underway at yardarm. Lot of our military customs come from British.

2014 Dodge 1500 V6 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab Cherry Red Metallic 28 mpg plus. Grandpa's ride.

Last edited by Old Navy; February 17th, 2017 at 03:06.
Old Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 05:31   #8915
TDI Owner/Operator

Took a medium length road trip on Sunday. Didn't need fuel - was planning to fill up after I got back home. Most stations are around $2.55-2.65 per gallon on average by home. My usual station on way to work is $2.45 per gallon. On my trip saw $2.35 - not bad at all but then on other side of that town saw $2.28 - hmmm. About ten miles down the road now $2.18 - now thinking about filling up but kept going. A few more miles it was $2.09 so I swung in and filled up. Only took just under five gallons. Next station was $2.65! After that prices were running $2.35 to $2.55 so made the right decision when to stop for fuel.
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 06:39   #8916
makattack
Veteran Member

It's school vacation week in my area. Right at the start of the weekend, I was near my favorite / lowest cost fueling station (Irving in Norwood, MA) and decided to top off. There was a line of cars waiting for the gas pumps, but I was able to pull right up to the diesel island which had no one there. I guess a few people in line thought they could do the same to keep me company, seeing my VW GSW all by its lonesome self.

I spent the whole time filling up reminding them that their SUVs/cars took gas, not diesel.
Old February 24th, 2017, 11:48   #8917
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

I was at HAFNERS (it kicks as the other guy would always post) in Hudson NH....
And a woman was parked at the middle diesel pump/k1 kerosene pump/leaded off road race fuel pump...
Having an issue....
In a minivan.... Alternately trying all 3....Trying to make them fit...
So I mentioned to her that gasoline is the at either end of the islands...
So she said in broken English.."I new here...Not know what I need"...Course the mini van had regular NH plates, and was Not a Rental....But heck... Maybe a friends....
So after seeing it took her about 4 minutes to move ahead 3 feet...I sent to get in line on the other side...
I finely got too pull up to the diesel on that side....Be the gal had just started pumping gas...
A box truck pulled up on the other side...And I let the guys know it might be a while....Told them the story...
I finished....Washed my windows...
And the gal on the far side had decided to clean out crumbs under her mini van seats....As I was leaving...The box truck was switching sides as I pulled out....
ZippyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 15:05   #8918
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
I was at HAFNERS (it kicks as the other guy would always post) in Hudson NH....
And a woman was parked at the middle diesel pump/k1 kerosene pump/leaded off road race fuel pump...
Having an issue....
In a minivan.... Alternately trying all 3....Trying to make them fit...
So I mentioned to her that gasoline is the at either end of the islands...
So she said in broken English.."I new here...Not know what I need"...Course the mini van had regular NH plates, and was Not a Rental....But heck... Maybe a friends....
So after seeing it took her about 4 minutes to move ahead 3 feet...I sent to get in line on the other side...
I finely got too pull up to the diesel on that side....Be the gal had just started pumping gas...
A box truck pulled up on the other side...And I let the guys know it might be a while....Told them the story...
I finished....Washed my windows...
And the gal on the far side had decided to clean out crumbs under her mini van seats....As I was leaving...The box truck was switching sides as I pulled out....
Haffner's "It Kicks!" is part of the name of the station and that's why I always mention it. I don't know about their gasoline but their diesel fuel is good and it's a high turnover station. I've never had an issue in over 10 years of fueling up there with my logging around 1k miles/week.
http://www.haffners.com/

I learned through casual chatting with a manager there that they get 6000 gallons of diesel delivered every 3 days to keep up with diesel demand and to avoid running out. They sell around 2000 gallons of diesel per day. Several local trucking companies have contracts with this station and they all fuel up there. While it's not a truck stop, a lot of trucks fuel up there and the diesel fuel is among the freshest in the area due to the high turnover.

Why DIESEL is better:
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/efficiency.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/performance.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2014.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2016.html

Last edited by n1das; February 24th, 2017 at 16:25.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 19:13   #8919
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
Haffner's "It Kicks!" is part of the name of the station and that's why I always mention it.
That's like Dodge's down here. The full name is Dodge's Fried Chicken. Because who doesn't associate cheap unleaded with fried chicken?

Over time I have a tendency to keep tacking on things… until eventually I'm referring to it as Dodge's Fried Chicken, Pizza, Tax Prep and Lawnmower Repair.
Old February 25th, 2017, 13:28   #8920
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Peep the signature

Went to my favorite station to fill up yesterday. They were having trouble with the gasoline pumps and only 2 were working but the standalone diesel pump was fine. Rolled up and started to fill. Two gassers got in line behind me. I thought about telling them this was the "special good stuff" but thought better of it and played the good neighbor. The confused look on their face when I told them it was diesel was hilarious and sad. It's amazing how clueless people are about their vehicles.
Old February 26th, 2017, 11:30   #8921
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
That's like Dodge's down here. The full name is Dodge's Fried Chicken. Because who doesn't associate cheap unleaded with fried chicken?
Over time I have a tendency to keep tacking on things… until eventually I'm referring to it as Dodge's Fried Chicken, Pizza, Tax Prep and Lawnmower Repair.
LOL, I used to shop at WAL-MART before it became WAL*MART. I now shop at Walmart*.

Why DIESEL is better:

Last edited by n1das; February 26th, 2017 at 11:42.
Old February 26th, 2017, 11:37   #8922
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptcrnch View Post
Went to my favorite station to fill up yesterday. They were having trouble with the gasoline pumps and only 2 were working but the standalone diesel pump was fine. Rolled up and started to fill. Two gassers got in line behind me. I thought about telling them this was the "special good stuff" but thought better of it and played the good neighbor. The confused look on their face when I told them it was diesel was hilarious and sad. It's amazing how clueless people are about their vehicles.
I've sort of had that happen several years ago at Haffner's ("It Kicks!") in Hudson NH when the station was busy and all pumps were working. The diesel pumps are in the middle of the pump islands and with the gas pumps at the ends. I was filling my 05 PD JWagen up at one of the diesel pumps and the station had a line of cars waiting for every gas pump. I was lucky to get to the diesel pump before it got really busy. A lady in a gasser manages to squeeze in behind me and waited while I fueld up. She was busy on her smartphone and not noticing that I was at a DIESEL pump. I thought about saying something but didn't. When I finally left, as I was pulling away I saw her pull up to the diesel pump and she gave me a priceless Whiskey Tango Foxtrot look and then a look of anger as she pulled away and had to get in line with the gassers.

Why DIESEL is better:

Last edited by n1das; February 26th, 2017 at 11:40.
Old February 26th, 2017, 14:46   #8923
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
LOL, I used to shop at WAL-MART before it became WAL*MART. I now shop at Walmart*.
I really hate Walmart's logo. It looks like a puckering anus. Which is appropriate because I always feel screwed when I shop there. (Also, once I tell people that, they can't unsee it.)

Their Murphy USA gas stations are only marginally better. A lot of them claim to have "the fastest pumps in town" which causes issues when I'm trying to top off tank. Their diesel nozzles and hoses are unusually stiff, too. The joints aren't flexible at all.
Old February 26th, 2017, 19:48   #8924
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

I've always told my daughters that Walmart should have Dante's warning over their doors. "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"

As far as the Murphys fuel, I've never run it in my CR TDI because I always got worse mileage in my 2000 beetle.
Old February 27th, 2017, 00:36   #8925
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
I've always told my daughters that Walmart should have Dante's warning over their doors. "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"

As far as the Murphys fuel, I've never run it in my CR TDI because I always got worse mileage in my 2000 beetle.
Do the pumps there have stickers saying "up to 5% bio"? Most of the Murphy diesel pumps here say that and my mileage takes a small hit when I fill there. I just figured it was a penalty for using bio - none of it has ever given me good mileage.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk