www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old August 25th, 2016, 18:22   #376
captain

Fuel Economy: 49 and 40 mpg

2013, drove my 2001 Jetta TDI (5 speed) from Raleigh, NC to San Antonio Texas. Our son was having his 4th surgery down there (the other 3, my wife flew with him down there and rented a car). We made a quick trip over to NM to Roswell and Carlsbad Caverns. Trip was great. Want to believe we only filled up 6 times on the whole trip but it was probably 7. Something like 4600 miles.

Seeing how successful that was, in 2015 my wife and our oldest son drove her 2002 Jetta TDI (auto) from Raleigh to Los Angeles to visit with family. They went west on I-80 and came back on I-40. Somewhere around 6000 miles.

For both trips, the Jettas did quite well without problems. Not bad as they were both around 180-200k miles.
'75 Built CJ-5 360/T18a/D300 on 36" TSLs
captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 19:04   #377
AmandaSch
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
We just clicked over 10k miles on a road trip that started in Southeast Kentucky to Alaska and back down through the Rocky Mountains. We finished up in Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole, etc., today (July 25th) and headed east to Douglas, Wyoming. We plan to hit Crazy Horse, Rushmore and the Badlands tomorrow and then head for home... expecting to go beyond 11k miles in about 31 days!

EDIT: The road trip was finished on July 29th ... 31 days and 11,860 miles!~ (ALH 84 Vanagon)
My family took a trip to the parks in '92 and now I'm wanting to go back on another trip myself out to Yellowstone and possibly some others, hoping my friends in Nashville would want to do that.
AmandaSch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 06:27   #378
Skydvr
Veteran Member

My trip was about 8,500 miles in three weeks through 21 states. I really only explored 13-14 states, the rest I pretty much just passed through. The last 3,000 miles was covered in 3.5 days. No time to check stuff out on the way home.

Didn't get to check out Yellowstone, but did check out Zion, Death Valley, Yosemite, Lake Mead, Redwood Forrest, Navaho Monument, Rio Grande, and a bunch of smaller free parks. When I was at the Grand Canyon was the day before the free access weekend, but didn't feel like paying $30 to access so I didn't make it into the actual park. I caught Zion, Death Valley, and Yosemite during the free weekend, so buying a pass was going to end up costing $30 for half a day in one park.

Three weeks to explore the country definitely wasn't enough time.
If you are traveling with others and head straight to the parks driving in shifts, you would have plenty of time if you are only hitting a few of them up, but I spent a lot of time exploring and stopping to photograph on my way out to the West Coast.
Skydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 23:05   #379
RedDeer49

Last week I bought my 2005 Passat TDI wagon in Denver and drove it back to California. A beautiful drive on Interstate 70 through the Rockies. Then crossed the wide open desert valleys and mountain passes of Utah. Then more desert on Hiway 50 through Nevada. Very scenic, but I was really glad to see green again when I got to the east side of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Most of the drive was above 5500 ft elevation ( high desert ). No any traffic, so I drove 80 mph most of the time. Travelled 1200 miles in two days, very comfortable in the VW seats and quiet cabin.
RedDeer49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 04:05   #380
theprimer

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDeer49 View Post
Last week I bought my 2005 Passat TDI wagon in Denver and drove it back to California. A beautiful drive on Interstate 70 through the Rockies. Then crossed the wide open desert valleys and mountain passes of Utah. Then more desert on Hiway 50 through Nevada. Very scenic, but I was really glad to see green again when I got to the east side of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Most of the drive was above 5500 ft elevation ( high desert ). No any traffic, so I drove 80 mph most of the time. Travelled 1200 miles in two days, very comfortable in the VW seats and quiet cabin.
Oh you're kidding? This sounds glorious I saw this region maybe 15 years ago, but would love travel it on my own.
theprimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 09:08   #381
paulschmid07

Our favorite is a trip to Portland, Oregon area to see the wifes family. We live in East Central Illinois so thats about 7,000k round trip. We've done it 3 times now and have the timing down to a science, 36-40hr drive total, with minimal stopping for food/bathroom we can do it in just over two days. Pull an all nighter the first night, drive 24hrs and then stop to sleep. That first night isn't too bad to stay awake and sleep in the car but night two is rough and not worth it or safe to drive straight through. So we stay somewhere in Utah/Idaho and finish the last stint fully rested.

We've totaled expenses and we spend less in diesel than we do in food while driving!

Family thinks were nuts for driving a "old" car that far but they don't know the TDI will outlast their new plastic crap. And we spend 20-25% of the cost of plane tickets and get there only about a day later!

One year we drove from Illinois to LA to visit my sister, then up the coast to Oregon and back to Illinois. Put just over 10,000k on the old jetta that trip. The drive up Pacific Coast Highway in Northern California was awesome. Winding and slow progress but great scenery right on the coast! With all the curves its 40-45mph on much of RT1/101 there, the TDI got the best mileage we've ever had on that stretch just idling in 5th. I think we got just over 55mpg if I remember right.

This past Christmas on the way back from Oregon, it was so cold through Wyoming area we were scared to stop anywhere and shut the car off. It cold starts really good, but I don't even know anything about 25-30 below zero! It was so cold, if we ran the heater on high it would bring the engine temp down even at highway speeds.
paulschmid07 is offline   Reply With Quote