Coolant Leak 97 Passat TDI

bmixon

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
While driving home yesterday my Coolant/Temperature light came on (red). When I got home I checked the expansion tank and it was below the minimum mark. I started looking for a leak and found a leak noted in the photo below (see red arrow for leak). It appears to be coming from the O ring where the coolant flange meets the engine. The Temperature gauge on the dash stayed at 190. Assuming that it is the O ring does anyone have the part number for this O ring. Refilled expansion tank with distilled water and G12 Fluid and light went out but leak is still present. Thanks

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
You'll need to replace that whole part with the three hose connections, called the coolant flange. It's plastic, and cracks over time. The part # for the flange is 028 121 133 assuming the 97 is the same as a 96. It should come with it's own gasket. Otherwise, I have a part # for a water flange O-ring as 037 121 687. You might want to replace the temp sensor while you're in there, too. I just did this on my car to stop an annoying leak.

bmixon

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
sfierz said:
You'll need to replace that whole part with the three hose connections, called the coolant flange. It's plastic, and cracks over time. The part # for the flange is 028 121 133 assuming the 97 is the same as a 96. It should come with it's own gasket. Otherwise, I have a part # for a water flange O-ring as 037 121 687. You might want to replace the temp sensor while you're in there, too. I just did this on my car to stop an annoying leak.
Sfierz: Thanks for the information. I should have posted this thread in the B4 forum but I was tired at the time. I went back to the B4 forum and did a search and found the information you noted above. I was surprized to find that the coolant flange was plastic. I order the part number from the VW dealer and will installed it this weekend. I already had the temp sensor sitting on a shelf so I will installed that at the same time. Thanks again