Lifter tick - should I let it go? To fix or not to fix...

ClemXP

TDI
2003 ALH Jetta, 2006 BRM
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, and to the TDI world...I've owned a 97 Jetta for a month now, driven over 2k miles, and it now has 174k. Just a week ago, I noticed a rapid tick developing on the passenger side of the motor, kind of between the timing belt cover and firewall. I don't know how long it's been going on. It seems to be related to the RPM's, and comes and goes, usually gone when I rev up the engine, unloaded, in the driveway. (I dont know if it's there or not when I drive, I can't hear it, but it may be drowned out by the sound of the engine)

I hear it mostly when I'm getting in or out of the car, and based on what I can gather, it's probably a lifter.

My question is this...when I bought the car, the dealer had all the maintenance done at that time...TB, all filters, oil, water pump, probably more im forgetting. If it is a faulty lifter, how much time might I have before I should consider getting it fixed? I've heard that I should do lifters and camshaft together with TB, but since that was done 2k ago, I'm not due for a TB for 58k...can I wait that long? It's not a loud tick, and it may only happen when the car is idling and oil pressure is low, I just don't know.

I live in southern NH, so I dont know of any reputable local VW mechanics...does anybody know one near me?

Thanks in advance...I've gotten a lot of info about engine ticks off the search function, but they havent answered my specific question. BTW, I average about 52mpg! I love this car. :D

Russnut

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
If it is a lifter, you'll want to change it sooner than later. You don't have to get the timing belt changed out either. The mechanic will just lock everything in place and pull it out. I had mine done at about 185k and it was like a new car. Does it sometimes sound like someone dropped a couple marbles inside the valve cover?

ClemXP

TDI
2003 ALH Jetta, 2006 BRM
I wouldnt say marbles, more like a metallic baseball card in the spokes of a bike. You can only really hear it if you're standing behind the engine, like if you put your head on the outside of the windshield. I tried the screwdriver to the ear trick, but didnt hear any especially significant sounds coming from the valve cover, or from any of the IPs. Does anyone know of any reliable mechanics, or someone just to help diagnose this, in the southern NH area? Boston, maybe?

Any ideas what a new set of lifters/camshaft would be, with labor?

Thanks again

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
The best in your area that I know is Herm Pasker, (hermtdi) who is in Richmond, ME; about a 2 hr drive, but I'd think worth the trip.

If the lifters are making 'bow ties' (dwelling), that is a reasonable cause of noisey lifters. If not, check oil pressure.

Lifters avg. $12-14, Camshafts are around $130-140. It's about a 2 hr job.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
It might be your pump. Turn the car off while standing in front or it. As the engine quiets, you can sometimes hear the pump as it spins down. Can sound like a lifter as well.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
could also be a noisy N75 on a mk3...

those thinks tick like mad.

ClemXP

TDI
2003 ALH Jetta, 2006 BRM
i think you nailed it!

TdiRacing said:
It might be your pump. Turn the car off while standing in front or it. As the engine quiets, you can sometimes hear the pump as it spins down. Can sound like a lifter as well.
It does continue to tick as the engine shuts off, for about 1 second. It sounds like something winding down...what pump is this? Oil, water, injection??

THANK YOU

BTW, what is this N75 thing?

ClemXP

TDI
2003 ALH Jetta, 2006 BRM
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
That is a trick I'd like to see done. How long are your arms, 9 feet ?
I rigged up a dummy with marionette strings a la Weekend at Bernie's - he can turn off the car while i stand in front of it, hold my beer while I fuel up, and even hold down the vent when I'm filling up.
Great theft deterent;)

Last edited:

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I often have thought of putting a lockout switch on the IP solenoid, that way if I need to kill the engine while fiddling under the hood I could quickly. Also could be a theft deterent - pop hood, flip switch, car won't start!

ClemXP

TDI
2003 ALH Jetta, 2006 BRM
Really confused now...

Thought it was the IP, but...I was driving today and noticed that it continues to tick while coasting in gear downhill, and i thought that the injector pump wouldn't tick while coasting...can anyone confirm this? If so, what should i do next to determine if it's a lifter or the N75?
Troubleshooting is fun, and it's helping me to learn a lot fast, but i wish i could learn on somebody else's car!!!

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
ClemXP said:
I rigged up a dummy with marionette strings a la Weekend at Bernie's - he can turn off the car while i stand in front of it, hold my beer while I fuel up, and even hold down the vent when I'm filling up.
Great theft deterent;)
ahh yes... but does he shoot lightning out his...

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
ClemXP said:
Thought it was the IP, but...I was driving today and noticed that it continues to tick while coasting in gear downhill, and i thought that the injector pump wouldn't tick while coasting...can anyone confirm this? If so, what should i do next to determine if it's a lifter or the N75?
Troubleshooting is fun, and it's helping me to learn a lot fast, but i wish i could learn on somebody else's car!!!
if the engine is running it'll tick exactly like what you are describing.

if you pull the ip off and rotate it by hand it'll click. better yet... rotate the engine by hand and see if it'll make the noise.

ClemXP

TDI
2003 ALH Jetta, 2006 BRM
What is the best way to rotate the engine by hand?

And, are you saying that the IP may tick even when no fuel is being pumped? ie. when coasting in gear?

SeanP

TDI
96 Passat
There's a chance it may not be a lifter or pump. I had a 01 Passat 1.8T that I changed cyl head, TB, WP etc.....except the TB tensioner. When I put a tight new timing belt on, the old tensioner/arm was "slapping" it's stop causing a card-in-the-bike spokes sound. It only made the noise "off-idle" (not at idle) and up to 2200 rpm where then noise went away. When the engine went back to EXACTLY 2200 and below it made the noise again. I changed the tensioner and that fixed it. I could have swore it was a lifter. It actually was my neighbor who pointed out the noise source....and he's no mechanic. Go figure.
It doesn't hurt to check the tensioner. Plenty of mechanics don't replace it because "it doesn't wear out, right". Wrong. It should be on everyones list of parts to replace at a TB replacement.