VW Motorsport.

Sooty

Veteran Member
I’ve been down at GTI International today (back again tomorrow), VW Motorsport are running an ESP demo with two Polo’s on a wet course – really shows off the system well.

The guys running the demo are part of the VW race team, the 240hp R-TDI will be down tomorrow – it was racing today at Oulton park.

I had a great chat to the team manager, the engine is based on the 110hp engine, with custom air-box with K&N filter, KV turbo. 150PD inlet manifold and intercooler with all new air plumbing. Tweaked fuel pump, complete with large injectors. ECU is managed by a custom fuel and boost mapping produced by Superchips, compression ratio has also been lowered.

He said the main problem is ‘air management’, ‘getting it in quickly enough’ and ‘getting it around the system at a suitable temperature’

We got talking about the new PD’s and he said that they can’t at the moment get much more out of them safely, that’s why they don’t race them, it appears that the unit injectors die if pushed too hard!
An interesting thing they are working on for track use is a custom program for the ESP system, they are again working with Superchips to develop a system that still applies the brakes as required but that doesn’t interfere with the engine power so much in order to give a controlled power slide!

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
man! take some pics and post em here!!!
man i wish i could see the tdi race cars up close and sneak around a little...
later
Deo
\x/ hillfolk!

tdi rs

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 16v tdi
I didnt see you there sooty,i tried to get the works car to race me but it was only allowed to race another racer and no one else,did you see it go up the sprint? it did a 0.60 in 6.75sec,so as you can imagine i wanted to race that car!! but on my runs the best i got got was a 5.96 to 60 and a 14.5 quarter

Sooty

Veteran Member
Just got back from day two.

Some of you may be aware that WV Cup Racing in the UK recently allowed diesels to compete against the RSI Beatles and VR6 Powered Vento’s (Jetta’s to you lot, who can't spell colour)

Well today they had the TDI Golf as promised and they added an RSI Beetle, they allowed them to race head to head on the drag strip (according to the commentary for the first time).
I’m sure I don’t need to say which won, the reaction of all the petrol heads around at the time was outstanding.

Today they used the ‘clean’ version of tuning, which didn’t give off any soot, none at all, nfortunately it only produces 200hp & 260lb in this form.

Sorry I didn’t have my camera with me (trying to save a little weight in the car) but I know for a fact that it was captured on video because I’ve already seen the replay
check this site out in a few days by which time it should have been uploaded. While you are there check out the Audi with an 0-60 of 2.4x seconds (sorry can’t remember the exact time)

Sooty

Veteran Member
I saw them run twice, the first time I was at the finish line, the second at the start.

Great times mate, how bad was the soot? I saw your car the once, but couldn't see you nearby.
I made some test runs without the chips and with the original injectors back in, in order to see what the other mods would have, as you can guess the times didn't impress too many people. My other runs went OK, all around the low 7's and mid 15's. I had some fun on the tyre test, I was running the standard chips & injectors and on three starts I got about 10 ft before a wall of soot came out the back,in previous talks I believe you you put it down to oil surge to the tappets

S

SkyPup

Good Golly Miss Molly, can't wait for the pics of this smokeout!

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
anyone else experience difficulty getting the various vids to play? whenever i would merely position the mouse pointer anywhere near that upper block of choices, the whole upper 20% of the screen would disappear. (yes, i have RealPlayer, etc. already loaded).
maybe it's my EGR/ECU interface containment module?

pity.

Sooty

Veteran Member
I’m not aware of any problems I can still play any of the vids, and have checked from a few machines now, sounds like it’s maybe a problem with your machine I’m afraid.

I wouldn’t worry too much for the moment, as he hasn’t uploaded them yet anyway – not sure what the delay is about. I’ll let you all know when they are up and ready.

godlike242

Veteran Member
Originally posted by gardentender:
anyone else experience difficulty getting the various vids to play? whenever i would merely position the mouse pointer anywhere near that upper block of choices, the whole upper 20% of the screen would disappear. (yes, i have RealPlayer, etc. already loaded).
maybe it's my EGR/ECU interface containment module?

pity.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">naw.. the problem is that Real Player is just lame.

fred_dibnah

Veteran Member
TDI
cooperbobtail
Hows this for an idea?
Y'know That TDI has the don't forget logo on the side?
TDIRS was thinkin of "so is mine" written on the side of his.

We laughed ourselves silly

Do you think VW would get the joke ?

fred_dibnah

Veteran Member
TDI
cooperbobtail
Hows this for an idea?
Y'know That TDI has the don't forget logo on the side?
TDIRS was thinkin of "so is mine" written on the side of his.

We laughed ourselves silly

Do you think VW would get the joke ?