"BPI" solar panel installation on build sheet?

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
My new 13' Golf had some paperwork in the dash that showed a few codes such as floor mats and trunk liner. I noted the code BPI labeled as solar panel installation. Google and bing searches showed nothing?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
It's too bad. I have one of the panels and I keep it in my Buick to keep the battery charged and it works great.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
My VW charger has the plug for the diag socket, which is on all the time.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
My 06 had one. Now that most of the outlets aren't live when the car is off, probably not much use any more.
My VW charger has the plug for the diag socket, which is on all the time.
VW has made two versions of the solar charger. Older ones had the "power outlet" (cigarette lighter) type plug and newer ones have an OBDII connector. I believe that all (or most) VWs come with one of these chargers from the factory to keep the battery alive during shipment. Most VW dealers have boxes of these things lying around and they get sent back to the factory for re-use. They are usually not still in the car when you take delivery. Sometimes they get sold on eBay and sometimes they are given away to customers who ask for them. These are sort of "off-inventory" parts and where they end up is a little uncertain.

Have Fun!

Don

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
A few years ago when I started in my parts department, we had a box of about 200 of these things.

I was doing everything I could to get rid of them since they were taking up valuable space in my department.

After finding "homes" for only about 20 of them, I donated the rest to a family members high school science department.

I haven't seen another since then. I don't think they leave the port anymore.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I wish I could find someone with a giant box of them laying around.. I can use as many as people are willing to send me LOL.. I'll even pay shipping..