2010 Jetta TDI 16" Tire and Wheel Upgrade To 17" Michelin Primacy MXM4

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Since my 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan has only 2200 miles I really can't compare any loss/gain in fuel economy when upgrading my 16" wheel/tire from the factory Bioline/Hankook. I would appreciate any comments from people who made this change and have more of a fuel economy baseline to work from.

Performance wise the my new combo is big upgrade especially in stopping distance, something critical in Dallas area driving. Michelin touts around a 20 foot decrease in stopping distance with comparable premium tires.

Tires are very quiet at highway speeds and stable with heavy rains with cross winds.

A recently completed 500 mile road trip netted around 37mpg, avg speed 75mph, mix of cross winds and rain.

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
It makes it more difficult to really see/tell, unless/until one does A/B tests with them. Over time/(the real variable are the miles) there can be a lot that influences. People normally report a loss. That loss has normally been a range of 3-7 mpg. They also report less compliant ride

So for example, while you give the data for a 500 mile road trip giving 37 mpg @ 75 miles per hour, what did you get with the other set (wheel and tire combination, etc.) under similar conditions ?

My 09 TDI, DSG is probably the closest to yours. @ that (those) speed (s) I would expect a range of 45-47 mpg (16 in biolines with bridgestone EL 400's) So right there, we are talking 8 to 10 mpg.

Last edited:

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
It makes it more difficult to really see/tell, unless/until one does A/B tests with them. Over time/(the real variable are the miles) there can be a lot that influences. People normally report a loss. That loss has normally been a range of 3-7 mpg. They also report less compliant ride

So for example, while you give the data for a 500 mile road trip giving 37 mpg @ 75 miles per hour, what did you get with the other set (wheel and tire combination, etc.) under similar conditions ?

My 09 TDI, DSG is probably the closest to yours. @ that (those) speed (s) I would expect a range of 45-47 mpg (16 in biolines with bridgestone EL 400's) So right there, we are talking 8 to 10 mpg.
I don't have any highway experience, only the 47mpg -65mph trip home from the dealer on a clear day with no wind.

I also average around 37mpg for most of my daily driving around a mostly stop and go urban environment.