Air conditioner does not work on high air blower setting

Gaggu P

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat B5.5 BHW
i know a friend who's a mechanic he says this happens a lot in cars and shops charge you **** loads of money for something thats a very cheap fix except in this case the first few settings wouldn't work and the last one (highest) did work, it was a spring / switch type thing right behind the dial that you use to set the blower to low / high thats broken..very cheap fix..dont get fooled ..

hopefully someone else here can give you more insight on it..and hopefully thats the only problem..

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
More details please. For example does the fan run, but just not cool on high or is it the fan that does not run on high? Will it run in heat?

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I'd suspect the most common of headaches in the blower system... under the squirrel cage blower is a resistor pack that is the fan speed control. That is your likely problem

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
But the resistor pack would only be used for the lower speeds. I don't see how it would be the problem for the high speed setting?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
One old cutlass I used to own had a problem like this. There was a seperate fuse for the high setting on the fan. The guy even told me it was impossible to remove the fuse. Just save time and cut it out and replace with another removable fuse holder and fuse. Worked like a charm. Maybe VW has something like that too.

Wayne Boudreau

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI Sedan and 2003 Jetta GLX Wagon
Ok thanks for the replies. the fan does not work on low setting 1, 2, 3 but the highest setting no 4 it works but the air conditioner light goes off as soon as you turn it on high.? that's the light on the ac on off switch push button. The fab on low the air vreated while driving will give some cool air so I know the ac is working and every so ofyen I will give the fan a shove to high but the cool air does not last since the ac turns off???

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Wayne Boudreau said:
Ok thanks for the replies. the fan does not work on low setting 1, 2, 3 but the highest setting no 4 it works but the air conditioner light goes off as soon as you turn it on high.? that's the light on the ac on off switch push button. The fab on low the air vreated while driving will give some cool air so I know the ac is working and every so ofyen I will give the fan a shove to high but the cool air does not last since the ac turns off???
Well you clearly need to replace the resister package. Sorry I don't know how hard it is to replace on your car. [Well actually I am glad I have not had a reason to know ;) ]

I don't have any guess about the rest of your problem.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Wayne Boudreau said:
Ok thanks for the replies. the fan does not work on low setting 1, 2, 3 but the highest setting no 4 it works but the air conditioner light goes off as soon as you turn it on high.? ...??
I wonder if it may be causing a slight reduction in voltage (poor connection somewhere) and that is causing the A/C to go out. Can you measure the voltage to the A/C while you turn the fan on high?

Wayne Boudreau

Veteran Member
TDI
I also tried the fan on heat setting the first 3 settings do not work only the highest I will check the connections on the dash switch but does anyone know of a way to test the resistor pack off the vehicle?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Wayne Boudreau said:
Ok, quick lesson on VW A/C controls. The power signal to the ECM and fan module (both which have a say in engaging the a/c compressor or not) comes from the blower motor circut. That way the compressor won't engage if the blower fan is turned off (bad things for a/c freon pressures:eek:).

Fan not working on 1, 2 or 3 but works on 4 = resistor pack is source of problem. High speed (4) is the only speed that does not use a resistor. As for why the light goes out when the fan comes on - I would guess there is a ground problem either for the blower fan or the a/c light.

UPDATE: Depending on which resistor in the pack blew - the a/c circut will not be supplied with power. The light in the button and the signal to the ECM/Fan module comes off the low speed (1) circut between the blower switch and the resistor pack. For the blower fan to work on high (4) only the las resistor would be blown. So soon as you turn the switch to 4 you effectively complete the circut to the blower fan and cut the circut to the a/c.

Remember this is the same as diag over the phone:). A GUESS AT BEST!

Jason

PS; I can post a page out of the wiring diagram if it helps.

Wayne Boudreau

Veteran Member
TDI
Being the vw diesel cheapo that I am, I found the resistor pack under the glove compartment. I also have another jetta 2001 the swapped part (resister pack) it worked.
There is a thermal fuse 151 c accross the resistor terminals. This fuse has a blue end but a 131 degree c black end will do just fine as well. This was the problem . The dealer and aftermarket sells these the resistor packs for approx 70.00 can; to buy the thermal fuse is 3.59 at The Source (Radio Shack) do not use a hot soldering iron to install use cold or liquid solder and presto air conditioner and fan now works on ever setting. Total cost 3.59 Can (Hours spent on internet priceless)
I appreciate your replies if anyone needs more info or photos don't hesitate to drop me a line...

Last edited:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
In order to get to the resistor pack there's a lot of little screws to take out. One is hidden under the center console that holds the glove box in place. Usually people seem to break that one off, not knowing it's there. The glove box then comes off. There are about 6 screws that hold the glove box. inside and underneath. Then there are some buttons that hold a plastic insulation/ drain for the air conditioner. When that is out of the way there are two screws that hold the blower up in place. The resistor pack is at the bottom of the blower housing.

I personally think it's in a very poor place, as the resistor pack may get cooled by incoming air, but it ends up getting rusted out, especially if the air conditioner drain gets clogged.

If you need, I can send some pics from the Bentley that covers it.

Wayne Boudreau

Veteran Member
TDI
I was able to locate the resistor pack under the glove compartment. Being the cheapo that I am, the thermal fuse on the resistor was gone . I was able to test this since I own another (2001) jetta the after market part was min 70.00 Can. I thought this to be robbery so I replaced the thermal resistor The Source (Radio Shack) $3.59 this solved the problem. Atten: do not solder this new part on, use liquid solder. Now it's all working again part 3.59 ; time spent on internet doing research priceless. Contact me if you need photos or info.

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Franko6 said:
In order to get to the resistor pack there's a lot of little screws to take out. One is hidden under the center console that holds the glove box in place. Usually people seem to break that one off, not knowing it's there. The glove box then comes off. There are about 6 screws that hold the glove box. inside and underneath. Then there are some buttons that hold a plastic insulation/ drain for the air conditioner. When that is out of the way there are two screws that hold the blower up in place. The resistor pack is at the bottom of the blower housing.

I personally think it's in a very poor place, as the resistor pack may get cooled by incoming air, but it ends up getting rusted out, especially if the air conditioner drain gets clogged.

If you need, I can send some pics from the Bentley that covers it.
__. Frank, this info is incorrect for the A4 models. You only have to pull the molded foam insulation out of the way, pull two 6mm-headed screws and the resistor pack will drop out (you also have to unplug the electrical connector, of course). What you have described is correct for changing the blower motor. But the resistor pack itself alone is a 5-minute job.