Power steering leak 2002 TDI Jetta

nukemech

TDI
2002 Jetta,
Have power steering leak in steering rack. Do they have steering rack replacement seal kits or does the rack require replacement?Would be nice to fix the issue without dropping the subframe.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
It's not hard to rebuild them. Yes there are kits for new seals and whatnot. Has to be removed though. That's the hard part. Gata drop the subframe.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Interesting, seems I remember the rack on my old 99.5 was easy, don't recall removing anything but the rack, tie rods, fluid lines. A good rebuild kit may be tough to find, but would be all that's needed. The whole rack is not terribly expensive.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
im not 100% on the DIY on these for these cars, i think you dont have to remove the subframe, just drop it down a bit

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
On an 02 the subframe has to come off.