2004 VW TDI GOLF GL 5-spd. manual, 4-door hatchback, 270,700 mi. $2500, Saluda, NC

LeBude

TDI
2003 TDI 5MT JW GLS Blu/Gry (270K; SOLD 2020); 2004 TDI Golf GL 5MT Black (270K; SOLD 2019); 2013 JSW TDI SE 6 MT (SOLD 107k; 2020); 2015 TDI Golf GLS 6 MT; 2014 TDI JSW 6MT Blue 68K
SOLD for $2000 10/2/2019: $2500 VW 2004 GOLF GL TDI Manual 5 spd transmission BEW engine, 4-door hatchback, Saluda, NC. Original Owner, 270,7XX miles.

VIN:9BWFR61J644030067
Photos at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FE-CBF4APudv7ueLS6l9cY-0vUavH1bW?usp=sharing

There are no modifications to this car other than removing the EGR, and magnets to hold the glove compartment closed.

Approximately 160,000 mi were my 42-mile roundtrip daily highway commute for 15 years. Selling because I just upgraded to a 2015 Golf TDI SEL. Most of the easy work (oil changes, brakes, axles) was accomplished by me and the hard stuff (timing belts, cam shaft replacement kit, suspension, clutch, EGR delete) was done by Daniel Grindstaff at Appalachian Diesel Works in Leicester, NC, Deal/Harmony Motors Asheville, NC, or German Imports Kannapolis, NC. I have some of the receipts but not all of them. Two control arm bushings were replaced recently and all filters and oil are fresh at 270,700 mi. Clean title in hand.

Recently accomplished
Meyle HD Audi TT style control arm bushings x 2 270,643
Oil, oil filter and fuel filter changed 270,643
New dogbone mount 2019
LUK 17 050 DMF and clutch kit replaced June 2017 240K
Timing belt replaced 2017 240K, OEM from IDParts (80K kit) next change at 300K.
Brake fluid replaced 2017 240K
Rear brakes
Front brakes
Michelin defenders with plenty of meat left.
EGR deleted in 2014 (NC is exempt from emissions, check your state)
Camshaft replacement kit OEM IDparts June 2016 210K
New both axles (Raxles) and C.V. joints replaced April 2014

Older accomplishments
Replaced camshaft position sensor 2014
Replaced in-tank fuel lift pump 2014
Entire front and rear suspension replaced June 2011 with stock OEM from IDPARTS.com. Two control arm bushings replaced recently (see above)
Alternator pulley replaced 2014 179,536 mi.
Head replaced in 2005 under warranty
Glow plugs switched to metal in 2007ish under warranty or recall, but then switched back to ceramic also under warranty or recall.

Problems
It has not had a belly pan of any sort for two or three years. Just taking it on and off for repairs as well as 15 years of driving wore all the plastic around the screws, etc., there were not enough holes to hold it on anymore and I did not purchase any replacements.

Two accidents. One (2005) the back taillight and bumper busted as someone swerved to miss me while on side of road, their insurance covered it. Two (2017) Co-worker scraped the driver’s side door in our parking lot. Company insurance covered it. Replacement work did a ****ty job of painting a red door cover they put on, and I did an even ****ter job of spray painting over their ****ty job when it peeled in a few places. In reality, combined with the window and locking problems on that door, the entire door should be replaced. There are paint dings, sap, and other scratches on the car from use over the past 15 years. No rust anywhere else. The driver's side door sticks when opening sometimes when pull the handle, but if you lean into it and press while pulling handle it opens.

The gray cloth interior is poor up front and poorer in back. I am actively trying to get stains out, but they are in there deep. One back seat is not able to be laid forward because its stuck. The driver side window button and the unlock button work intermittently. The upholstery hangs down from the ceiling and the glove compartment is shut with magnets and Velcro. Parking brake tends to stick on the driver side rear tire, so I don’t use it as much anymore, just park it in gear. CIL is on currently and always on for glow plugs it seems. Forgive the cheesy hubcaps and engine compartment washing, I paid someone to make her look fancy. She is solid, and runs smooth.

Last edited:

LeBude

TDI
2003 TDI 5MT JW GLS Blu/Gry (270K; SOLD 2020); 2004 TDI Golf GL 5MT Black (270K; SOLD 2019); 2013 JSW TDI SE 6 MT (SOLD 107k; 2020); 2015 TDI Golf GLS 6 MT; 2014 TDI JSW 6MT Blue 68K
This old girl has been SOLD for $2000. The gentleman was in the military and has a 60 mile daily commute. He came to pick it with a trailer and some old big boy diesel pick up truck. He didn't realize I was the original owner (must not have read the CL ad closely). He started it, felt the oil from the disptick for what, I don't know, looked underneath, kept putting it in reverse because he said it goes out. He was surpised when I told him I changed the clutch two years ago, so that shouldn't be a problem. He barely made it down the street fast enough to put it into 5th when he looked over and said this is a great car. He immediately drove back to the parking lot near my house and loaded it up. I did tear up a little when I walked home. Met my wife with that car, went on dates, brought my dog to the vet for the last time with that car, and took many many trips. It was worth a lot more than $2000, but no one else seemed to think that. Take care of her, Bro!