OB2 live data on Bluetooth works, but won't read for smog.

Bodg123

TDI
98 beetle tdi 104k miles. Sorry thought I had made the post on here. I fixed that.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...start-I-need-advice&p=112007809#post112007809

This first paragraph isn't important.
I had posted a few weeks bad needing help. It turned out the injection timing did in fact jump, and in the process it damaged the valves, a piston, and a rod. I traded my auto beetle tdi for the repair job. To be quite honest, he was a careless mechanic. On my drive home from hemet(50miles), the car was smoking alot(i didn't notice but a few people on the freeway were trying to tell me). However luckily she made it home and then to my surprise, diesel fuel was leaking everywhere. He forget to tighten an injector(all the way right side) and it spewed everywhere. Once i replaced the fuel return lines and drove her around the block the coolant started leaking everywhere. I gave up for a few days then took another look underneath. Again to my surprise, the coolant hose from the reservoir going to the right side of the engine was not even on at all. This got the car running no problem. Although it was giving residual smoke from the engine bay for a while but that stopped after driving for an hour and a half.
Now is where i need advice. I took the car to get smogged but they said 2 of the monitors weren't showing up and they gave me the number for the state referee. They told me there wasnt really anything they could do for me. When i called the smog place later to ask what monitors werent showing up they said it wasn't reading. I have a Bafx diagnostics interface Bluetooth reader. Before taking it to smog it was reading just fine. No CEL( it lights up when in on position). After i brought it back from the smog it kept not connecting to the ecu or connect and disconnect fast.
I replaced the 7.5a fuse for the obd and my Bluetooth reader began connecting without a problem again. So i took it back to the same smog place to see if it would read, but he was a different guy then before and was saying "its getting stuck on searching for protocol." So I'm not sure what my problem is. No CEL is on while driving, and no codes come up.
I checked all the fuses, but i didnt know what i was looking for. None of the wires were broken, but some had what looked like scratches on the metal. This is probably worth mentioning, there was some wire and metal connection under the left slot of the obd 7.5a fuse. I know the car had a EGR delete, and i believe its tuned. I checked the looped wire on the aftermarket radio and it was cut. I tried the cheap auto zone code reader and it didn't show any codes either.
What could be the culprit? I just need to get my car smogged.

Last edited:

SAABNEWBIE

TDI
1999 NEW BEETLE
I'm going through the same difficulty you are currently experiencing with the smog test. My ECU was also tuned with guess what? EGR delete. Because of the way it was implemented, and I checked in VCDS, the readiness monitor for EGR never completes (Fail). You can contact the original tuner for your ECU and ask if they can correct this. This is the easiest path.

What I'm about to do is swap over a spare ECU, which I sourced on Ebay and clone it to my vehicle. More steps are involved but I don't want to lose my "offroad" tune.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Do not go in for emissions if you have just disconnected the battery. "Readiness" for several things will not be set. If "Readiness" is not set, it just means that the car needs to experience specific driving conditions and also, no fault codes will be set. Usually, "readiness" will reset after several drive cycles.

On your scanner, there should be a screen that displays readiness status. Did you look for that screen?

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/readiness.html