What is your best junk yard find?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Carried a hood atop of my 1988 Chrysler Laser. Also found an A/C condenser to replace the leaky one on the same car. I converted the A/C from R12 to R34.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Trip to JY today scored me the cup holder center console (one small break easy to fix) and the 02J shifter. A few other miscellaneous things I needed and a couple extra tool finds. With a 40% off day at the pick-a-part, I paid $89.
“I got to say today was a good day!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I paid $89.
ouch?

Mine was a snap-on li-ion 3/8" impact.
was in an airbox, of course I was friends with the owner of that yard, so I knew it was one of his. Gave it to him with a 'make sure and beat the new guy good for this one'

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
ouch?

Mine was a snap-on li-ion 3/8" impact.

was in an airbox, of course I was friends with the owner of that yard, so I knew it was one of his. Gave it to him with a 'make sure and beat the new guy good for this one'
That's an expensive tool

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I need to get to a yard soon. Got notification of an Audi TT coming to my local yard. Pic shows it still has the nice pedal covers. Been wanting some of those for a while
Brake calipers and all that would be nice too!

Last edited:

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
I need to get to a yard soon. Got notification of an Audi TT coming to my local yard. Pic shows it still has the nice pedal covers. Been wanting some of those for a while
Brake calipers and all that would be nice too!

A Audi TT!
I’d been stripping that boy down- lots of goodies!

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
Right!?
What other parts have you guys gotten out of a TT for an MK4? I’m so new at this stuff still

Not a part to swap, but if it's a roadster the Central Electric Module by the back window fetches $$$. If its a soft top its a gamble because the top leaks on them and could be why its junked.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Right!?
What other parts have you guys gotten out of a TT for an MK4? I’m so new at this stuff still
The pic shows it's a manual, so is it a 5 speed or a 6 speed?

If 5 speed, FWD? or quattro?

Either way the front brakes would be bigger, but would require the spindles, etc.

You'd want the LCA's and ball joints.

It's it's quattro, I might be interested in some of the rear stuff if it's in good condition trade or cash can work, just let me know what it has and how it looks.

If it's a 6 speed and in good shape, you might want to pull the rack as it has a sportier set-up than the normal MKIV.

Typically, I've only seen FWD TT's and typically AT's, so at least this is a manual.

If the radio is OEM and has the SAT button, grab it if you can find the code.

The vents pull out, pretty easy and can fetch $25-30 each.

Email directly if you want more info.

Good luck.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
The vents pull out, pretty easy and can fetch $25-30 each.
Site says it’s a Quattro. Haven’t seen it yet though. Might head out there tomorrow.
I'm looking at getting the vents and possibly the shifter boot and knob, and the cluster. Not sure what else from the interior I could grab and make a $1 or 2 from it.

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Get the rear brakes! Be sure to get the calipers AND the carriers.
Should be 256mm x 20mm vented rear rotors. The front upgrade is
ez, VR6 et al fronts are easily found, the Quattro rears are harder to find.

I've done front and back, a terrific upgrade IMO.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Site says it’s a Quattro. Haven’t seen it yet though. Might head out there tomorrow.
I'm looking at getting the vents and possibly the shifter boot and knob, and the cluster. Not sure what else from the interior I could grab and make a $1 or 2 from it.
If the glove box is good, that can sell, but shipping is a hassle.

I’d be interested in the ebrake handle if it’s decent.

Is it a coupe or roadster?

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
You guys are going to hate me for this but today I drove home a 2005 A4 1.8T Quattro. The price was "Ernie would you be interested in this car? We will give it to you. My son doesn't want it any more and it's been sitting around here for a few years." I figured it might be needing a fair bit of work and I haven't hooked up my VCDS yet..... It needs some brake work.(low pedal) and there are a few codes. I think I found my fun car!

Does this qualify as a junk yard find? If so I did alright!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
You guys are going to hate me for this but today I drove home a 2005 A4 1.8T Quattro. The price was "Ernie would you be interested in this car? We will give it to you. My son doesn't want it any more and it's been sitting around here for a few years." I figured it might be needing a fair bit of work and I haven't hooked up my VCDS yet..... It needs some brake work.(low pedal) and there are a few codes. I think I found my fun car!

Does this qualify as a junk yard find? If so I did alright!

You drove it home???!!!!!!!!!!!!! Find of the year Ernie!

DING DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Well got the instrument cluster and the headlamp switch. If I would have known (or checked these messages before) I could have grabbed the e-brake. The pedal covers and foot rest were gone except for the accel pedal. Glove box was broken. It was probably locked before and someone tried to pry it open and peeled the cover off. Bummer
Wanted to get the newer silver MK4 cluster for my Jetta but a quick forum read said it was not doable. Will have to keep researching that.
Anyway, I miss going to yard but after only 4 months after breaking my leg, walking this much got tiring.

I did see a almost brand new looking MK5 Jetta with leather seats that were just a hair shy of perfect. If I could use those in my car without too much trouble, I may have spent the time to grab them but then again, I didn’t have permission for it haha

Last edited:

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
You drove it home???!!!!!!!!!!!!! Find of the year Ernie!

DING DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER
There was talk of it needing a clutch or a cv shaft. I haven't looked into that yet and won't get to it for a while. (First we will get the manual transmission into my 2001.) It worked good when we drove it home. There is some clicking coming from the rear. We'll see. I looked online and the car is worth between $3-4K CAD around here.

It only has about 214000 km / 133,000 miles. I'm kind of in a bit of disbelief here but the owner didn't want to spend the time or money to fix it up.

imbrian

TDI
03 jetta wagon
not in a salvage yard but under a tree in the corner of a yard, half-buried in the fenceline and half-buried in pine needles was a golf.....come and get it it's yours/Clist. didnt really want a golf but it had new snow tires and good rims from the pics, so......

grab my guy w/trailer(he's ase master in most makes) and go check it out before we drive to get the trailer. 4" standing water in the driver footwell.......told it ran when parked 18mo prior.....cleaned batt terminals, starter conn., took a hammer and crowbar to the alt pulley to turn the engine a bit, twenty minutes later im driving it home.

7mo later, about 7hundo poorer, she's zipping me along as my main whip to give the wagon a breather before Tbelt time.

replaced all susp, brakes, lots of cabin work, new windshield......had a broken coil on driver front and broken coil on pass rear....??......a shovel load of dirt in the front of the oil pan gaurd between the block(she took a dive into a ditch methinks)

all parts, wndshld, reg/insp, and 60usd to my guy for coming with me brings me to around 8hundo for a 02 2.0 auto, 150k, minimal rust.......runs like a stinkin champ.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
not in a salvage yard but under a tree in the corner of a yard, half-buried in the fenceline and half-buried in pine needles was a golf............runs like a stinkin champ.
I will be keeping an eye out amongst old trees and fences. Great score!!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
not in a salvage yard but under a tree in the corner of a yard, half-buried in the fenceline and half-buried in pine needles was a golf.....come and get it it's yours/Clist. didnt really want a golf but it had new snow tires and good rims from the pics, so......

grab my guy w/trailer(he's ase master in most makes) and go check it out before we drive to get the trailer. 4" standing water in the driver footwell.......told it ran when parked 18mo prior.....cleaned batt terminals, starter conn., took a hammer and crowbar to the alt pulley to turn the engine a bit, twenty minutes later im driving it home.

7mo later, about 7hundo poorer, she's zipping me along as my main whip to give the wagon a breather before Tbelt time.

replaced all susp, brakes, lots of cabin work, new windshield......had a broken coil on driver front and broken coil on pass rear....??......a shovel load of dirt in the front of the oil pan gaurd between the block(she took a dive into a ditch methinks)

all parts, wndshld, reg/insp, and 60usd to my guy for coming with me brings me to around 8hundo for a 02 2.0 auto, 150k, minimal rust.......runs like a stinkin champ.

Lol, maybe youse guys should start a "Free Car" thread.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Free car?
I went to look at a volvo 745GLE TD that allegedly had failed to start in the driveway, thought it dropped the T-belt, been parked for several years. When I got there, it had 'TurboDiesel' on rear hatch, 3 pedals, leather... unicorn car. When I opened the hood, the head & a bunch of accessories was missing. Can't rebuild a head that is not there. I said some bad words, and the owner said "what would it take to make you happy?" "Gimme a hundo for wasting a day to drive here for nothing."
She gave me a hundo, title and keys.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Free car?
I went to look at a volvo 745GLE TD that allegedly had failed to start in the driveway, thought it dropped the T-belt, been parked for several years. When I got there, it had 'TurboDiesel' on rear hatch, 3 pedals, leather... unicorn car. When I opened the hood, the head & a bunch of accessories was missing. Can't rebuild a head that is not there. I said some bad words, and the owner said "what would it take to make you happy?" "Gimme a hundo for wasting a day to drive here for nothing."
She gave me a hundo, title and keys.

Free vs. making money? Making money hands down but I’ll take free any other day of the week!