1997 B4 Sedan for sale, lots of upgrades

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Yes, I am selling my B4 Sedan. It's a 1997 with 453,704 miles on it. Now before you say that's high miles, this has been very well taken care of, with regular proper oil changes using the correct oil and larger filter. All the fluids are correct and all parts replaced were done so with good ones, no cheap Chinese junk. I am selling it because I do not have the time to spend fixing it, and I am keeping the B4V. I cannot keep both cars.

It is the non-sunroof version, and the clearcoat is peeling. It has some rust, but the floorboards were very recently replaced and sealed.

It has a Franko6 refurbished head with stage 2 cam, ARP head studs, and South Bend Stage 3 (now 2E) clutch with plenty of life left. It has PP520 injectors and I swapped on a resealed AHU (ribbed) pump with 230K on it. It has the original turbo. The EGR cooler was removed since the EGR is turned off with the tune. It has a windage tray installed when I put in the new oil and vacuum pumps. The interior of the engine looked fine while I was in there.

The exhaust is 2 1/4" straight through all the way back with no mufflers, but the 2.5" diesel cat keeps things quiet. The flex pipe was recently replaced with a stainless one, and all have flanges so they can be unbolted.

The motor mounts are in good shape and are the hydraulic ones. They were OEM and not Chinese.

The interior is now black instead of the original beige, and the headliner is in fine shape. The drivers seat has some wear on it.

The cluster has some bleeding on the clock but I have an odometer corrected MFA cluster that will go with the car, to include the MFA stalk should you wish to complete the swap.

The control arm bushings were replaced with Audi TT and they are in good shape, along with new anti-swaybar bushings. The rear axle beam bushings are also in good shape and were replaced a few years ago.

It does need a rear caliper but I have one that can go with the car. The parking brake cables were replaced and work fine.

The wheels are 15" aluminum but the tires aren't in very good shape. I can probably rustle up some stock 14" steel wheels for it as well.

It has the stock suspension under it, although not original to the car.

The computer is the FA with Malone chips in it, I think they are stage 3.

It has a 1.25" trailer hitch on it but it has been welded once since it broke while I was in Canada. The Thule roof racks go with it.

It has the 1995 headlight switch, so you have 3 options for lights, and the fog light switch. The fog lights do not work because the bulbs burned out. They never worked well anyway so I never fixed them. The headlights are stock with the 9005 bulbs in the high and low beam sockets. I installed the correct socket to allow this, and the low beams stay on with the high beams so you get more light but not enough to be annoying.

The AC does not work due to the condenser having a hole in it. I live in Maine and have never needed AC so I never bothered to fix it.

Feel free to ask questions. I have a TON of pictures of pretty much everything done to the car, and most of it I posted on here.

And now the bad. I loaned the car to my father to get a bike rack while I was on-call and could not go myself, and it came back running rough. I tried swapping injectors since the balance is way out, but no change. It had oil in the intercooler but it was not due to the turbo (which is why the original is back on it). I do not know why it run rough, but it starts instantly and runs OK, but I would not dare drive it anywhere. As such, I am including another motor and complete swap (everything still attached to the subframe) with 235,360 miles on it that I drove around myself before pulling from the car.

Asking $1,500.

The sedan:

And here is the motor that goes with it:

Last edited:

apaustin

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat wagon, 96 B4V, 95 glx v6/96 tdi conversion, 97 b4v
Mark, if you want a pair of nice seats, they're in my shed. Yours if you visit Maryland.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Thanks. I can't believe it either since the rust was taken care of and there are TONS of new and upgraded parts on it. I'm not sure what I'll do with it come spring.

kemalik84

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg TDI, B4 97, 96B4V, MK5 TDI Jetta, Vanagon(non-TDI) soon to be converted
hi is this still available
text me 856-220-7265

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
Abacus is as good as they come, so this car is a great deal for someone!