www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old January 11th, 2006, 07:38   #1
Turbo D
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/47/41
Default Volvo 240 with VW 1.9 TD

Hi All, I came across this company called, "the green car company" on craigslist the other day. I found a TDI for sale and they had a link to their company. They sell used diesel cars and also sell Bio at the dealership in Kirkland WA. Anyway they are taking orders for restored Volvo 240 wagons retrofitted with VW 1.9 turbo diesel engines (don't know if they are TDI or IDI). They are reasonably priced at $11K to $14K with a 2 year warrenty to boot. They are getting 30-35 MPG with an automatic trans.

Here is the link: http://www.greencarco.com/

Anyone in Kirland are been to the dealership? I have a gas powered 240 wagon and wished it had the power and mileage of my TDI. Seems interesting so I thought I would pass it along.
Turbo D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:25   #2
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Hmm... if it's not a TDI, I'd be worried that they'd be too gutless. The stock engines for the diesel 240s are the D24 (2.4L inline 6 derived from the 1.6L inline 4 from the A1 and A2 Rabbit/Golf/Jetta diesels) and the D24T (the turbo version of the D24). (Well, OK, I'm sure it could beat the D24, but from what I've heard, that was a VERY gutless engine.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton Sinclair
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:12   #3
jck66
Veteran Member

I'd guess it's an IDI, since they mention "adding an intercooler". A TDI would already have one, wouldn't it?
jck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 16:49   #4
christi
Veteran Member

was the 2.4 sold in the US ?
i always liked the noise they make and the turbo would be okay wouldn't it ?
in europe that engine is also in the LT van
and how about the 5 cyl Audi diesel engine ? the old idi would be an easy swap too I guess
http://www.christiantena.net
christi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 16:53   #5
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Yeah, the D24 and D24T were available here.

Not at all common, I've never seen one in person, and only seen pics of one online (a D24 240 sedan on eBay, IIRC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton Sinclair
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 09:32   #6
mgwerks
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/47/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by christi
was the 2.4 sold in the US ?
i always liked the noise they make and the turbo would be okay wouldn't it ?
in europe that engine is also in the LT van
and how about the 5 cyl Audi diesel engine ? the old idi would be an easy swap too I guess
Yep. It was a pretty solid if uninspiring car. I had a customer with a 240D that came to us because of our VW strength. Sure looked funny with a belt on both ends of the cam!

"Oso Négro" - an Anthracite black 99 NB TDI - 232,000 miles as of 4/1/09
"Thud" - Arctic white 2000 F-350 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke diesel, Crew Cab Long bed - 201,000 miles as of 4/1/09
mgwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:35   #7
v8volvo
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Wow...VERY COOL! Wonder if they could build one with a stick shift (love that Volvo M46 4speed+OD). If they actually come through with this we will sell the Passat in a second for one of these.

v8volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:22   #8
christi
Veteran Member

I think volvos were sold in Europe with 6 cyl VW diesel and manual transmission so it can be done, and probably quite easily
http://www.christiantena.net
christi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 13:49   #9
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow Volvo diesels 1.6 , 2.0 , & 2.4 L VW diesel transplants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo D
Hi All, I came across this company called, "the green car company" on craigslist the other day. I found a TDI for sale and they had a link to their company. They sell used diesel cars and also sell Bio at the dealership in Kirkland WA. Anyway they are taking orders for restored Volvo 240 wagons retrofitted with VW 1.9 turbo diesel engines (don't know if they are TDI or IDI). They are reasonably priced at $11K to $14K with a 2 year warrenty to boot. They are getting 30-35 MPG with an automatic trans.

Here is the link: http://www.greencarco.com/

Anyone in Kirland are been to the dealership? I have a gas powered 240 wagon and wished it had the power and mileage of my TDI. Seems interesting so I thought I would pass it along.
If it is a 1.9 L IDI more than likely its' a Canadian transplant from a Jetta or Golf or maybe a Passat . I have that same engine transplanted into my 85 Jetta TD . It's fast but mpgs are not as good as the origional 1.6 TD .

If it is a factory engine in a 240 series it could be a 2.0 L 5 cyl. TD . Volvo also used a 2.4 L non-turbo diesel in the that car . I can't recall but I think Volvo also used the 1.6 TD in that model .

I owned a 245 wagon with the automatic trans and the 6 cyl. diesel . I also had a couple of friends that had the same set up with 5 spds .

Volvo used the 5 & 6 cyl TDs in the 700 series . 740 & 760 TDs . The 5 spd models got between 35 & 40 mpgs . Autos were rated 28 in "D" mode & high 30s to low 40s in "E"- mode ( Coasting mode ) .

All the Volvo diesel engines are VW / Audi transplants .

While the automatics had that funny automsitc with the E-mode for coasting in city driving . In the E-mode the car went into "N" when ever you let up on the throttle , then shifted back into the appropriat gear for what ever speed you were traveling at the time . In E-mode if you drove correctly operating the throttle with skill coasting whenever possible you could get 40+ mpg US driving around town .

If you drove around in normal "D" drive 28 mpgs on the button were the norm . I owned a many of these in VWs , Audis & Volvos over the years with "E" - mode equipted auto trans and learned a lot about saving fuel in city driving .

Skills I still use to this day to get better mpgs in my city driving as compared to my highway driving . I always get 3 to 5 mpgs more in city driving than on the highway in all my cars .

I attribute my higher mpgs in city driving directly to learning how to drive it correctly the way it was designed to be driven in that crazy E-mode equipted automatic transmission .
rotarykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 15:15   #10
v8volvo
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

The 1.6 four and the 2.0 five never went in Volvos. Also the swap will be more complicated than you guys (and maybe GreenCarCo also) realize, since the Audi diesels (2.0 five and 2.4L six) use a completely different bellhousing bolt pattern than the VW 4-cylinders, even though the internals are mostly the same. Also those engines have the injection pump driven off a second spur belt on the back of the head. I don't think Volvos had the E-mode--wasn't that just VWs and Audis? I thought the Volvo used the same old Volvo AW55 tranny as the gassers (bulletproof, by the way).

v8volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 06:29   #11
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo
The 1.6 four and the 2.0 five never went in Volvos. Also the swap will be more complicated than you guys (and maybe GreenCarCo also) realize, since the Audi diesels (2.0 five and 2.4L six) use a completely different bellhousing bolt pattern than the VW 4-cylinders, even though the internals are mostly the same. Also those engines have the injection pump driven off a second spur belt on the back of the head. I don't think Volvos had the E-mode--wasn't that just VWs and Audis? I thought the Volvo used the same old Volvo AW55 tranny as the gassers (bulletproof, by the way).
740 had the 5 cyl TD and auto with the E-mode , I owned 2 of them .
760 had the 6 cyl. TD I had 1 of these

240 had the non td 6 cyl I only had 1 of these , I was around a bunch of the 245 wagons .
rotarykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 14:51   #12
vwestlife
Veteran Member

The standard 6-cylinder D24 diesel, as found in the Volvo 240/260 series from 1980 to 1984 in the USA, had 82 HP @ 4800 rpm and 103 lb-ft torque @ 2800 rpm and was pretty gutless, especially with the automatic, but could give 40 MPG with moderate-speed highway driving.

The 6-cylinder D24T turbodiesel, as found in the 740/760 series from 1983 to 1986 in the USA, had 106 HP @ 4800 RPM and 140 lb-ft @ 2400 RPM and was a much more satsifying car to drive. A standard 90 HP TDI, or a 1.9L TD with intercooler (also 90 HP, but less torque than the TDI) would have similar performance, but wouldn't be as smooth as the big six.

Volvo continued using D24-series diesels in Europe until the early '90s, and the best of them was the intercooled D24TIC, with 127 HP @ 4650 RPM and 184 lb-ft torque @ 2400 RPM, using a Garrett T03 turbocharger. It would take a TDI with upgraded chip and injectors to reach this performance level.

A better choice would be the 2.5L European 5-cylinder TDI, which was used in Audis in the early to mid '90s, before the V6 TDI was introduced. In its best factory tune it delivered 140 HP; I'm not sure about its torque rating. Besides, a little 1.9L 4-cylinder VW diesel would look lost under the hood of a Swedish brick; if you've ever seen the D24, it's a LOOONG inline 6-cylinder block, and is funny to see in operation with belts spinning on both the front and rear sides of it!

For posterity's sake, here's the original press release for the Volvo D24 diesel, and also a rather optimistic ad:

Old January 14th, 2006, 16:11   #13
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 3.3 Mi/kWh

Hmm, that made too cheaply comment... I assume that was directed at GM? If it was driected at VW how ironic would that be!

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 32,000 miles.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG. Sold to JDSwann's Brother.
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 18:18   #14
vwestlife
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85
Hmm, that made too cheaply comment... I assume that was directed at GM? If it was driected at VW how ironic would that be!
Definitely GM. But to be honest, all gas-engine-based diesels -- including VW -- suffered from reliability problems in the late '70s and early '80s. The "clean-sheet" diesels from Mercedes and Peugeot were clearly superior during this era. GM made major improvements to their 5.7L diesel in 1981, and their smaller V6 diesel (used in their midsized FWD cars like the Olds Ciera) was a much better engine to begin with, but by then their reputation was already ruined.
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:28   #15
cmitchell
Veteran Member

The http://www.greencarco.com/ site says they are using 1.9 VW engines (with an added intercooler) that they are importing from Germany. Now if they would only consider doing this with a manual tranny car...

2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed black / black leather
2013 Subaru Outback Limited Cypress Green (Wife's)
1983 Isuzu P'up 4X4 diesel 4 speed
cmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote