MN Chat Thread

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Welcome lakeguy! I don't usually fillup in the Twin Cities, it's usually cheaper up here in St Cloud...so I can't really point you to any one place in the metro. The best rule of thumb is to go where a high volume of diesel fuel is sold. This usually ensures that you will have clean, high-quality fuel...and it also increases your chances of having a proper winter blend in the cold months.

Are you in the greater metro area or are you actually in Minneapolis? If you are anywhere near a Fleet Farm, they carry Diesel Gold from Flint Hills Resources in Rosemount...good stuff. I usually fillup there or at a Super America station here in Cloudytown that gets alot of truck traffic.

BP and Shell are favored on the boards, but remember that this can vary widely by region. BP and Shell stations are not all that common around here, (at least compared to say Holiday or SA) and I can think of only a handful that I would consider fueling up at.

Are you aware of the cam/lifter problems associated with the 04+ PD engines? Do you know the service history of this car? Best thing to do at this point is to run 505.01 approved oils despite what some might say.

Keep lurking, searching and asking questions. Lots of info to be found here.

:)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
vikingrob said:
Anyone going to the GTG in Kansas City next weekend?
Kind of thinking about it. Don't have any projects, but would like to meet some of the folks in person that I've come to know here at TDIClub.

lakeguy

TDI
93 Passat (RUG), 06 Beetle TDI
That's weird, I posted a reply to TDICADDGUY a few days back and there was a reply by TDI after that also. Now those two posts are gone. Did the forum server lose some data or am I dreaming about TDIs already.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Not dreaming yet. Server was out for a couple days and some data was lost. See link at the top of the page. :)

Russell G.

TDI
2001 Jetta
lakeguy said:
hi everyone,

been lurking for a while and just got a pretty good deal on a used 06 NB. i was wondering where everyone likes to fill up around the mpls area. based on other threads, it looks like BP and Shell are supposed to have good fuel but i thought i'd check around to see what everyone thought.

looking forward to a few hunderd k miles on this thing...or at least my wife will once she learns how to drive a manual. it has 30k right now so it's practically new. we're new to TDIs but have a 93 passat gasser (160k) and a couple of friends have owned TDIs for a while so we aren't that green. still, this place is a great resource and i'm hoping to make the next gtg, whenever that will be.

b
I generally try to fill up at Fleet Farm. They have Premium Gold Diesel; currently blended at 70/30 (70% #2, 30% #1) Also some Kwik Trip stores sell the same thing branded as a "Winter Blend" Kwik Trip claims it is done through additives; not blending. Also, I use a Standyne 1 shot in every other tank during Winter, and once a month during the warmer months.....whenever they happen up here on the frozen tundra. Welcome aboard!

ice climber

TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Timing Belt Change

Hi, I just bought a 01 golf with 140k on it the timing belt was last changed at 72k so I want to get this done ASAP. Does anyone have a recommendation for the Saint Paul area?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
merkerguitars is on the east side of the metro
greengeeker and MNmiser are up in North Branch (weekend appts. only I believe)
DeafBug is out in Maple Grove but I'm not sure if he has is own place to work out of right now...he may travel to you

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to Fred's. It really pays to get this job done right, so driving some distance is definitely worthwhile to ensure that the job gets done right.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
ice climber said:
Hi, I just bought a 01 golf with 140k on it the timing belt was last changed at 72k so I want to get this done ASAP. Does anyone have a recommendation for the Saint Paul area?
email me deafbug @ gmail dot com

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Russell G. said:
I generally try to fill up at Fleet Farm. They have Premium Gold Diesel; currently blended at 70/30 (70% #2, 30% #1) Also some Kwik Trip stores sell the same thing branded as a "Winter Blend" Kwik Trip claims it is done through additives; not blending.
Last year, the Fleet&Farm island said 'Koch Arctic Diesel' on it, and that is at least based on Flint-Hills marketing indeed a specially refined diesel rather than a D1/D2 blend. This year, the sign remained 'Koch Gold Diesel' and a separate paper sign stating that it is a 30/70 mixture and that an additive is recommended for extreme cold conditions.

I did notice that I managed to get 45mpg throughout the winter last year and only 43mpg this winter. Otoh, the car is about 60k miles older and the average temps, average speeds due to road conditions etc. may have changed to account for the change.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
10then34 said:
Anyone else can second that recommendation ?
Lots of positive comments about DeafBug, merkerguitars, greengeeker and MNmiser.... who are all TDI experts.

One positive comment about Metric Auto Works. No idea what parts they replaced, how much they charged, or how often they actually work on TDIs.

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
I like Metric because they were able to diagnose my Balance Shaft problem and the ability to work with my schedule. They were recommended by a fellow on a European website that also owned a Passat. He said they charge less than the dealerships. The majority of their business is with Audis and Volkswagens.

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Route 66 said:
I like Metric because they were able to diagnose my Balance Shaft problem and the ability to work with my schedule. They were recommended by a fellow on a European website that also owned a Passat. He said they charge less than the dealerships. The majority of their business is with Audis and Volkswagens.
They gave me a quote for belt, idlers and water pump which was in line with other specialty shops I have talked to. Contrary to popular belief, changing a TB is not rocket surgery.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
10then34 said:
They gave me a quote for belt, idlers and water pump which was in line with other specialty shops I have talked to. Contrary to popular belief, changing a TB is not rocket surgery.
You're right, it's not. As long as proper tools and procedures are used, it is quite easy. The problem comes in when a shop tries to change them like they would a gasser engine...which actually happens quite frequently. Doesn't usually end well.

They might be fine...they might not. But we have guys here locally who KNOW TDI's in and out and who work solely on them.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
First of all, hopefully Losha's car will be back up to full strength again very soon, if it isn't already. As some may have heard, he had an incident with a deer on the way home from the recent Kansas City GTG.

Second, does anyone else from MN and nearby plan to drive to the Fest this time around?

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
Fest trip

I am going to Fest this year but because of the added distance and only having the same amount of time off. We are flying this time. Plus family is coming and plan to visit the DC area while I am doing TDI things.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
I'm going to mn tomorrow morning and will be there till tuesday, so if any of want to gtg or need help with TDI let me know. I will have VCDS with me too, so can scan for codes.

vikingrob
My Golf still resting on driveway from long hard trip from Kansas. I haven't even touched it since the trip, been very busy working on other cars, also don't have bumper for it. When come back from mn will start bringing into shape, replacing fender, headlight, hood, fixing support & etc.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Losha,

It's Lent. Your car is like Jesus. It is taking a lot of beating lately. Someday soon it will die and rise up on the 3rd day. Right now your car thinks it is Saturday for a long time. It is waiting for its Easter.

Brad
:cool:

biggrey

TDI
99.5 Golf
Question: Is it OK to drive with a check engine light on? Cant get to Merker until next week. The engine seems ok (makes the same power), dont know if its making any unusual noises (this is my first TDI, 99.5 Golf) 'cause there are so many.....all strange.

biggrey

TDI
99.5 Golf
No flashing, on steadily. It came on after I tried to start it, that is I turned the key (after the glowplug symbol went out), it turned over, sounded like it started, I released the key, it didnt run (pilot error?). Turned the key off then the engine started and ran fine. Except for the check engine light (MIL?).

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
biggrey said:
No flashing, on steadily. It came on after I tried to start it, that is I turned the key (after the glowplug symbol went out), it turned over, sounded like it started, I released the key, it didnt run (pilot error?). Turned the key off then the engine started and ran fine. Except for the check engine light (MIL?).
The light may stop coming on after X number of restarts. Or it may stay on until the problem is resolved.

Either way, it's not a real concern. My MIL has been on for most of the last two years, and will stay on until I get the glow plug problem sorted out.

To ensure that you don't have a serious problem, you should probably get it scanned. VAG-COM is best, a free check at AutoZone will work if you don't have any option.

biggrey

TDI
99.5 Golf
TornadoRed said:
The light may stop coming on after X number of restarts. Or it may stay on until the problem is resolved.

Either way, it's not a real concern. My MIL has been on for most of the last two years, and will stay on until I get the glow plug problem sorted out.

To ensure that you don't have a serious problem, you should probably get it scanned. VAG-COM is best, a free check at AutoZone will work if you don't have any option.
Thanks. I will have Merker look at it next week. The car seems in good shape, just a few little problems. DieselGeek skid plate going on next week, then shocks........then....

biggrey

TDI
99.5 Golf
TornadoRed said:

Thx for the AutoZone tip. It was a p1402 or EGR. I know the hoses around the EGR valve are frayed, but after it was scanned, when I left the AutoZone, the code went away (BTW, the AutoZone guy said they werent allowed to clear the codes).... I dont think the egr valve is plugged with carbon, I know theres a repair/replace fix for that valve (99.5 Golf, ALH engine?). At any rate it will be in Merkers hands next week. At least I can drive and with the snow coming......

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Generally, a steady on MIL is a "emissions fault", blinking is something worse.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
hi, sorry to jump in on a conversation. I'm new to this website, so I thought I would introduce myself the the fellow minnesota people. I'm located in New Brighton, drive a 2006 Jetta TDI. Look forward to talking with some of you.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Welcome Kriesel, All MN/WI/Dakota people are welcome to chime in, that's what we are here for.