I Fixed My Leaking Injector Lines

Metalhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
So... those steel injector lines that go from the pump to the injector... I managed to mess up numbers 3 and 4 while swapping my cylinder head. Number 3 didn't seal against the pump, and number 4 didn't seal against the injector.

They're flared hoses, and the ends were noticeably worn. The ~45 degree taper on them had a couple of "notches", as I would call them. I figured that since a sphere will contact a cone in a circle no matter the orientation... the hoses should have spherical ends.

So, I took them into work and a grabbed 4.063mm radius grinder, some 20µm aluminum oxide loose abrasive grit, and set about grinding a radius onto the ends which leaked. I ground them until the damage was (mostly) cleared out all across the contact zone. I followed the grinding procedure by pressure washing the ends, and sending pressurized water through the lines, from the end that was not ground. I then send compressed air through the lines, and followed that up with an acetone bath, and more compressed air. It suffices to say that no grit remained in or on the injector line.

Much to my surprise (I didn't expect this to work, the lines were garbage as far as I was concerned)... they sealed up nicely!!

If you happen to work in an optics shop and have grinders all over the place... this works quite well!

Just thought I'd share my experience.