Fuel pump upgrade needed with turbo upgrade? (AHU)

mk3tdi1996

Veteran Member
TDI
MK3 Golf 1.9TDi (AHU)
Hello,

Gonna be fitting a pd150 turbo, manifold and all the other bits needed. I'd like to know if I should upgrade the fuel pump to deal with the extra power/fuel required?

If so, what are my options?

Thanks guys! :)

Jack

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Well no. Just get R520 or larger and you can max out your power with VB. You wont get much more from upgraded pump with so small turbo.

mk3tdi1996

Veteran Member
TDI
MK3 Golf 1.9TDi (AHU)
hatemi said:
Well no. Just get R520 or larger and you can max out your power with VB. You wont get much more from upgraded pump with so small turbo.
What's this R520 you speak of?...

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
the r520 is what i have with the vb tubro . its a bosio race nozzle for your injectors. .260 which is more than you,ll ever need with vnt 17s hybrid or otherwise. i changed from pp520 to r520s with same 22 psi tune just a bit more fuel and the difference was night and day. then i upgraded to a 24 psi tune which is where all the problems started . leaker head gasket pipes blowing off . at least now i have a ported head out of the whole expeirience:rolleyes:

mk3tdi1996

Veteran Member
TDI
MK3 Golf 1.9TDi (AHU)
cog said:
the r520 is what i have with the vb tubro . its a bosio race nozzle for your injectors. .260 which is more than you,ll ever need with vnt 17s hybrid or otherwise. i changed from pp520 to r520s with same 22 psi tune just a bit more fuel and the difference was night and day. then i upgraded to a 24 psi tune which is where all the problems started . leaker head gasket pipes blowing off . at least now i have a ported head out of the whole expeirience:rolleyes:

I have the pp520's - these R520 are different how? I don't know what you mean by 22psi tune either...

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
basically the r520s are .260mm size holes and the pp520s are .214mm which in fueling terms is huge . the race 520s are cabable of fueling well over 200whp+
where as the pp520s max out at 170bhp so basically you will struggle to get the best out of the vb turbo with small nozzles . 22 psi is just the boost level that is stock for the vb turbo but even then the pp520s couldnt make any smoke at that boost which means i was still under fueling. so if i were to riase the boost anymore i wouldnt feel any benefit unless i upgraded the injectors. you could upgrade the fuel pump instead . but its very tricky to tune with small nozzles like the pp520s and usually advised to go with pp764s+ and 11mm pump . i can honestly say that i dont need an 11mm pump with the setup i have a lift pump will be very helpfull but for the outlay the 11mm pump is just not worth it at this stage . better spending extra cash on a 17/22 hybrid than an 11mm pump at present.
im currebtly running 24 psi on vb turbo r520s and it really flies absolutly rockets from 50 -well over 100mph with ease. its more than you need for a daily driver. although mine does have allot of other mods which do help . ;)

mk3tdi1996

Veteran Member
TDI
MK3 Golf 1.9TDi (AHU)
okay cool man, cheers for the info!

I'm looking at getting the PD150 turbo, it's the GT1749VB right? does it NEED to be the VB?

Where did you source your r520's?

Tell me about this lift pump...

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
o.k yes the 1749vb turbo from the pd150 is better and maintaining a safer higher boost than the 1749va from the pd130 . something to do with a titanium compressor wheel i think just a stronger turbo with a bit more boost.
the pd 130 va turbo is only considered half an upgrade over the stock turbo.
the pd150 vb turbo is only small still really so the turbo swap isnt really worth doing unless you go for the vb .
the r520s you can get from kerma tdi . id parts or bleached bora . it works out a good bit cheaper than getting them from a uk supplier even with import costs.
the lift pump basically helps draw more fuel at higher rpms as the stock intank one really struggles to get the fuel after 4krpm . the lift pump helps you really accelerate hard all the way to redline. although i must admit switching to r520s from pp520s on the vb turbo also helped allot at higher rpms even with a smoke free tune.

do you have a beefier clutch in mind as you will need one if you haven,t already

mk3tdi1996

Veteran Member
TDI
MK3 Golf 1.9TDi (AHU)
I've fitted a G60 flywheel and L.U.K clutch too so yea we all good in that department. So only the VB then? I've been chattin to a fella who says i can take the PD150 turbo/manifold and a few other bits and make it work really well after a remap - are there any other turbo options or is this my best bet?

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
mk3tdi1996 said:
I've fitted a G60 flywheel and L.U.K clutch too so yea we all good in that department. So only the VB then? I've been chattin to a fella who says i can take the PD150 turbo/manifold and a few other bits and make it work really well after a remap - are there any other turbo options or is this my best bet?
this is a really good turbo for a daily driver that happens to be also very fast .
the other option is to hybrid it or by a 17/22 the 17/22 is the same just with a bigger exhuast wheel . spool up time is even quicker . just it costs more so its up to you. after that your options get harder to install vnt 2056 is a popular turbo but then it becomes a bit more of a weekend track car than a daily driver.
17/22 or vb turbo are the best option for daily driver cars. i love my vb . i also have the bigger tip and pd 150 inlet on mine

mk3tdi1996

Veteran Member
TDI
MK3 Golf 1.9TDi (AHU)
cog said:
this is a really good turbo for a daily driver that happens to be also very fast .
the other option is to hybrid it or by a 17/22 the 17/22 is the same just with a bigger exhuast wheel . spool up time is even quicker . just it costs more so its up to you. after that your options get harder to install vnt 2056 is a popular turbo but then it becomes a bit more of a weekend track car than a daily driver.
17/22 or vb turbo are the best option for daily driver cars. i love my vb . i also have the bigger tip and pd 150 inlet on mine

Cheers dude! - what's this 17/22 ?

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
its just the smae as a 17vb but with an exhuast wheel the same same as a vnt 22 . i think . anyway it has a 52mm exhaust wheel which is allot bigger than the vb . so it spools as quick as a 17 but boosts like a bigger turbo.
its a tried and tested hybrid turbo that works it just cost you more obviously.
the vb i have still works ver well indeed with the right mods but i do wish id have gone for the 17/22 now i know how much ive spent anyway.
you might be o.k with that l.u.k clutch some have been o.k running decent hp . but others have burnt them up with just chip and injectors . but dont change anything until you have to . i just think if youre planning on vb or 17/22 with r520s then you may need something a little beefier in there

Last edited:

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
The 17/22 has the compressor wheel from 22v and the turbine is stock VB ;)

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
cog said:
vnt 2056 is a popular turbo but then it becomes a bit more of a weekend track car than a daily driver.
Ain't nothin wrong with daily driving the 2056v. Boost comes on just fine and it's gettin' in it's groove finally; I've finally done a 40mpg tank on this fat wagon. In my driving conditions, I'm happy with that. If I ever decide to go 65 or so on the freeway, I may hit 50.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
im just going on my own experiences as i felt a lag even going from the stock turbo to the 17 so from stock to 2056 you would feel a big gap. but you do get used to driving with more boost and higher up the rev range as you mods these cars more and more so i guess i would quite like a 2056 muself in the near future . but for instance i can blow away a subaru while im waiting for him to come on boost by then im past 100mph and backing off before anyone realises i was running out of steam . just depends on what kind of driving and whether you spend allot of time in town areas or on highways to which turbo would suit. but im all ready now with full breathing mods and ported head arp studs big clutch and injectors . the logical step now would be a 2056:)

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
You're right mate, about getting used to the higher band, I'll give you that. But it's also not doin horrible down low.

In my situation, the wastegated turbo (gt15) didn't come on the same way the gt1749va (vnt15) would have. So the "lag" experience was so similar that the gains from the gt2056 and early boost because of the VNT caused there to be no perceivable gap.

I'm a bit heavy (the car not me, I'm 10 1/2 stones), so I'm not one to do so well off the line.

You are wrong on one thing though; your car is begging for a gtb2256vk, but it's also going to beg for some new rods =)

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
I'm sorry mate.

Turbo
Get your GT1749VB, you'll be very happy with it. (you didn't say your intention for power, so this is a fine choice as long as you got the fitment and all that worked out.)
Nozzles
Get the R520's from Boraparts.com if the pound is doing well versus the dollar. Or find it locally if you can Ryanp is a good resource.
IP
Keep your injection pump the same, there's no need for the 11mm unless you want it. You need to modify your bracket to accept an 11mm pump. Tune
Choose who you like, my biased preference is Malone Tuning/Aligator. He can send chips in the mail. VWMikel's got the goods too.

mk3tdi1996

Veteran Member
TDI
MK3 Golf 1.9TDi (AHU)
kooyajerms said:
I'm sorry mate.

Turbo
Get your GT1749VB, you'll be very happy with it. (you didn't say your intention for power, so this is a fine choice as long as you got the fitment and all that worked out.)
Nozzles
Get the R520's from Boraparts.com if the pound is doing well versus the dollar. Or find it locally if you can Ryanp is a good resource.
IP
Keep your injection pump the same, there's no need for the 11mm unless you want it. You need to modify your bracket to accept an 11mm pump. Tune
Choose who you like, my biased preference is Malone Tuning/Aligator. He can send chips in the mail. VWMikel's got the goods too.

Thanks for the straight forward answer :)

Does this turbo not do very well power-wise?

Jack

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
does fine depending on what you want . with 17vb fmic , tune and r520s you will looking at a garaunteed 180-185bhp . as ive known plenty of cars with pp764s . after that you can port the head like i had or put on an 11mm pump . i know that mark malone had a car which gave and extra 15bhp when the 11mm pump was added with the r520s . but for the outlay. if you want more than 180bhp i would suggest you look at a bigger turbo like the 17/22 or the 17/56 vt3 hybrids . but although i wish id gone for the bigger turbo when id bought mine i still love my vb and it still can embarrass a lot of hot hatches and fast petrol cars.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
mk3tdi1996 said:
Thanks for the straight forward answer :)

Does this turbo not do very well power-wise?

Jack

See, you still didn't state what power you want. :confused:

Yes the 17 does very well power-wise, so does the 17/22, so does the 2056, so does the 2256vk, and so on... The question is, how much power?

If you have the ability to make these turbos fit on your ahu, you can have t any of them. But since you have everything for the vnt17 already (I'm guessing a custom manifold or rear motor mount) go for it.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
i can put you in touch with a guy in the UK that wants to sell his new R520's and a VB turbo!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
PM Cawmere on here! tell him i sent you.

Cheers

Ryan

cawmere

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia MK1 1.9TDI ASV
Cheers Ryan,

Mk3tdi1996, as Ryan said I have a PD150 turbo (bought from Ryan) which I never got round to installing and brand new sealed R520 nozzles. PM me if I can help you :)

Last edited:

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
It will not bolt on at all. You need seperate AFN manifold, turbine housing from 1756VK and an adapterplate.