DSG "Direct Shift Gearbox" owners data base

coldwar

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
wjdell said:
Owners of the DSG transmission, in any make or model. We encourage you to register your DSG here. Please add your transmission data in the following form. Add any comments you have to your original post - PLEASE, I am trying to keep this easy for people to scan. You can post information if its relevant to all owners. The data you put in your post should be related to, service, fluid changes, problems, and the resolutions. You can write about you personal experiences with the DSG. Please try to recruit other members to join also. We are some of the first to have F1 technology in our street car transmissions. In the end I believe this transmission will be a winner.

Thank You
WJ Dell
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DATE: April 20, 2010
Name: coldwar
Year: 2010
Make: VW
Model: Golf Wagon
Date of auto production: - " usually month and year " unless you know the day
Engine code: "in your manual"
Transmission Code: - “located in owners manual next to engine code
Date of DSG Production: - “ located on top of trans just below and beside the battery – is visible with flashlight”
Purchased, New or Used: New
Miles when purchased: 517 KM
Current miles: - 2800 KM
Area of country: - Atlantic Canada
Fuel Statistics: - Average 45 MPG Imp.

No problems so far.

metier

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta Sportswagen
DATE: 24-apr-2010
Name: metier
Make: vw
Model: jsw
Date of auto production: 2/10
Engine code: "can not find in your manual"
Transmission Code: - “located in owners manual next to engine code”
Date of DSG Production: - 09/12/09
Miles when purchased: 230
Current miles: - 1774
Area of country: - southcentral USA, - houston texas
Fuel Statistics: - 40/40/31

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
New JSW

DATE: may 12, 2010 Purchased Mar 26
Name: Kent
Make: vw
Model: jsw
Date of auto production:
Engine code: "can not find in your manual"
Transmission Code: - “located in owners manual next to engine code”
Date of DSG Production:
Miles when purchased: 150
Current miles: - 3150
Area of country: - southeast USA, - Charlotte, NC
Fuel Statistics: - Averaging 37.5 mpg

Will fill in the rest after work.

SIN-TDI

TDI
2010 Salsa Red
DATE: 6-5-10 / purchase date 5/30/10
Name: Jonathan "SIN-TDI"
Model:Jetta Tdi
Date of DSG Production: - “ located on top of trans just below and beside the battery – is visible with flashlight”
Purchased, New or Used: Purchased New
Miles when purchased: 31
Current miles: - 275
Area of country: - South East. Virginia Beach, VA
Fuel Statistics: - " best/average/worst only please " update this whenever you choose

HeAvYfUeL

Veteran Member
TDI
2009, Golf Variant, DSG
DATE: 5-June-2010
Name: HeAvYfUeL
Year: 2009
Make: Jetta
Model: Wagon
Date of auto production: 03/09
Engine code: CBEA
Miles when purchased: 280 km
Current miles: 18000 km
Area of country: Gatineau,QC
Fuel Statistics: 5.8/6.5/6.9 - 40.7/36/34.1
I will fill out the rest later this week.

No problems, knock on wood.

Last edited:

YODAUSA

TDI
looking for older one now
for everyones information. My research did discover a """""DMF RECALL""" July 2006 (Ref No 13C5) for the Golf 2.0TDI. This recall was in Australia!!!!!!! It involved 474 vehicles .

There department of infrastructure, Transportation gave me this iniformation..

Hope's this helps someone, it hasn't help me as yet.

Later John

ITDID

TDI
2006 jetta BRM engine, DSG
Year: 2006
Model: Jetta
Date of auto production: ???
Engine code: BRM
Transmission Code: - HXU
Date of DSG Production: -
Purchased, New or Used: used
Miles when purchased: 55,000
Current miles: 128,000
Area of country: - finger lakes, NY
Special note: New DSG & DMF (new p/n) at 77,000 miles due to catastrophic DMF failure (damaged bell housing).

Last edited:

njphil

TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg1
Date of auto production: June '06 I THINK
Purchased, New or Used: NEW
Miles when purchased: 15 or so
Current miles: 98,200
Area of country: - North East, New Jersey - Tri-State area

Never had the oil changed out, doing it soon !!!

sfpegasus

Veteran Member
TDI
none!
DATE: 07-28-2010
Name: sfpegasus
Model: Golf
Date of auto production: 11-05-2009
Engine code: CJAA
Transmission Code: LQV
Date of DSG Production: UNKNOWN
Purchased, New or Used: NEW
Miles when purchased: 8
Current miles: - 5300
Area of country: SF BAY AREA
Fuel Statistics: - 46/36/30

brenodo

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI
DATE: July 17, 2010 - date of purchase
NAME: Brendan (brenodo)
YEAR: 2010
MAKE: VW
Model: Variant 2.0 TDI
Date of auto production: June 10, 2010
Engine code: CJA
Transmission Code: LTE
Date of DSG Production: April 27, 2010
Miles When Purchased: 03 (17 after test drive)
Current Miles: 777
Area of Country: Northern, VA - USA

Last edited:

akersanth

TDI
06 Jetta TDI

Date of auto production: ???
Engine code: ???
Transmission Code: - ???
Purchased, New or Used: used
Miles when purchased: 61000
Current miles: 61500
Area of country: Mercer Co. WV

Note: I have a serious rattle at idle only in P and N but it seems to shift and pull ok. However I have never owned a car with a DSG so I have no clue if it is working properly... my dealer is going to look at it tomorrow....will VW warranty this before it goes POOF?!!!

aaron-tdi

TDI
2005.5 Jetta 1.9 TDI
oh did you get this issue figured out? I have 2005.5 73000 miles and my DMF just went out in the car and has caused damage to transmission. I was hearing noises but could not yet determine what it was before it went out. If you are hearing a rattle at idle I would seriously consider changing the DMF. I am still trying to figure out what exactly my needs done. I was having funny vibrating sounds about 1 week before it went out.

rkskeet

TDI
Moved to a 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium from a 2012 Jetta TDI Manual 6 Speed
DATE: October 30, 2010
Name: rkskeet
Model: Jetta TDI - DSG Tiptronic Trans
Date of auto production: - May 2009
Engine code: Don't Know
Miles when purchased:10 miles
Current miles: - 18,785 miles
Area of country: - Eastern USA - State College, Pa
Fuel Statistics: - Average 46 MPG City+Highway

I have question for fellow 2009 Jetta TDI owners.. 1st I must say that I have been for the most part happy with my car. No major problems, (however here comes my but statement) but since I have owned the car there is one noticeable issue. Here it is! When I come to a stop or start from a stop, the car vibrates slightly something similar to if you are driving a manual tans car and don't smoothly engage the clutch from a stop. I suspect whatever it is, is DSG related.. When decelerating from 5>0mph, the same slight shutter or vibration occurs.. I have had it back to my purchasing dealer a few times and each time the tech checks it, I am told that it is normal characteristic and part of the Automatic DSG Tiptronic operation.. Sometimes this condition is more noticeable that others and only occurs from a dead stop or decel from around 5 miles to 0.. All other gear shifting is very smooth when accelerating up or down.. I have had the DSG temp sensor changed as well as the software flash to correct the False Neutral recall condition.. I have received the extended warranty for the DSG to 100K or 10yrs... So all of that has been done and still have the same characteristic.. Just another bit of info, when I am at an idle both in D and N, the RPM is the same, slightly under 1000.. Last, this condition is present whether I am in Auto or Tip..

Other than this annoyance, the car is a lot of fun to drive..

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED SOMETHING SIMILAR? CAN YOU SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS AS IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.. IS IT ME or HAVE OTHERS HAD THE SAME ISSUE? THANKS

Last edited:

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I do too. Also, I'll bet that when you're stopped in traffic and you ease up on the brake slightly to "creep" forward as traffic moves, you will get the same clutch shudder. I too have had the sensor replaced, software flash, but I've not taken it back and have decided to wait and see what becomes of this latest campaign regarding the bushing fix and/or mega-chronic replacement. If and when it goes into effect, I will then head on in to the dealer to see what happens.

rkskeet

TDI
Moved to a 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium from a 2012 Jetta TDI Manual 6 Speed
Elfnmagik, I have seen your responses to my similar post on another forum location at this site.. Thanks for the info as it confirms that I am not the only one experiencing this. As you have mentioned, it is noticeable when I am in stop and go traffic and creep forward.. A technique I have tried recently and seems to ease the shudder, is to not partially take my foot off the brake but take it off totally and then move the the go pedal. The shudder does not seem to be as severe or present.. Not sure why that is?? Maybe there is a fair level of brake to go pedal technique one has to learn with the DSG Auto trans.. I have read the many posts regarding hesitation from a stop when moving forward. The info on that was not to jump hard on the go pedal but rather gradually apply pressure and the car moves forward smoothly without hesitation.. I learned that technique early on so maybe there are other ways to address the shudder via brake to accelerator technique? Not sure but I will try it for a while make additional posts as I learn more.. Thanks...

Last edited:

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
Rkskeet, had the symptoms you describe. I did what you do to alleviate the problem and haven't noticed it happen again in 3 years. You do have to drive this transmission differently than a regular slushbox auto. It parallels how you have to drive the diesel different than a gas engine.

zambaq

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG [the Fix is in]
Model: Jetta Sedan
Date of auto production: 10/22/08
Engine code: CBEA
Transmission Code: KQC
Date of DSG Production: 07/03/08
Miles when purchased: 94
Current miles: 9,393
Area of country: NE
Fuel Statistics: 50/35/25

Happy to have no problems to report, yet. Though obviously I haven't been piling up the miles, NYC streets take their toll.

Last edited:

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Aside from the occasional hickup, I've only had one hard upshift. (accelerating from a stop down a slight hill, very gentle throttle application, and it slammed from 2nd to 3rd I believe..)

You must learn how to drive this car with this gearbox. Treat it like a manual (it is).

One other thing worth saying that others seem to be experiencing - when shifting into D from a cold start it will make an audible "thud" and it can be felt through the car. This thud is not present once the gearbox is up to temperature. It will do this on a cold start in 10 degree F ambient, or 90 degree F ambient, albiet (slightly) more pronounced the cooler the weather.

Stacks

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
DATE:
Name: Donnie (Stacks)
Date of auto production: - Oct 05
Transmission Code: - HQN
Purchased, New or Used: USED
Miles when purchased: 68000
Current miles: - 69000
Area of country: - Northwest US
Fuel Statistics: - 40

Currently having a few issues with the car and looking here to get some guidance.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
You do have to drive this transmission differently than a regular slushbox auto. It parallels how you have to drive the diesel different than a gas engine.

I have driven my DSG now for 105k miles and I honestly don't drive any differently than I did with any other auto, or any other engine for that matter. Where are the mythbusters when you need them...?

Gigel

TDI
2.0 TDI DSG
DATE:
Name: George
Model: Passat 2.0 TDI
Date of auto production: - June 06
Engine code: BKP
Transmission Code: - HXS
Date of DSG Production: - 2006
Purchased, New or Used: USED
Miles when purchased: 112500
Current miles: - 168750
Area of country: -Denmark
Fuel Statistics: - 6,7 km/L

Hey guys... just finished reading 16 pages :)

About a few weeks ago I noticed the car will sometime start from stop with a big "klunk" noise from transmission. Then it started to make this noise also when downshifting from 3 to 2 and from 2 to 1.
I had slight rattling noise from DMF and I could see trough the starter hole that it has kinda big play.
Last week bought a "sold as new" DMF from eBay and replaced it. Now the noise from 3 down to 2 is gone but I still have the noise from 2 to 1, not as big as before.
Now I have a kind of metal on metal rubbing noise (sometimes when hot) and it gets more noisy when I switch from D to P or N.
The "klunk" noise it's not there when the gearbox is in S.
Upwards I have not noises and shifting nice.
One thing I also noticed is that if I hold the car in manual (in any speed) at a constant RPM and then floor it I can see the RPM's going VERY fast up with a few hundred RPM's then falls down at the RPM I had before reving and starts climbing normally.
Car is out of warranty and I am thinking :
Can be my flywheel (bought a model that was suppressed back in 2007) that is bad ? (looked brand new when bought).
Or should I look at a new mechatronic unit ? (new gearbox).
Any input appreciated.

Last edited:

leroyal

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Sometimes when on an upward grade the car will surge ahead ...I have to keep my foot on the brake. Also in reverse, the the tranny has slipped twice now (feels like running over a large rock)

Egroeg

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG 2012 Passat TDI SEL
DATE: 12/24/11
Name: Egroeg
Date of auto production: 9/24/2005
Transmission Code: HQN
Date of DSG Production: Will Update
Purchased: New 11/05/05
Miles when purchased: 26
Current miles:158.964
Area of country: Nor CA
Fuel Statistics: 34/42

10/31/11: Clutches started slippng, made beeline to VW dealer. Dealer installed new clutch pack and failed to discover coolant leak into DSG. When driving home transmission was better but still not right.
11/14/11 Back to dealer.
11/21/11 Dealer said new DSG is required per VWoA offered to discount what was paid for clutch replacement toward new DSG. While doing my own research (Thanks to the TDI Club Dual Mass Flywheel Thread) I decided to change my DMF.
11/22/11 While removing the DSG oil cooler to change flywheel I discovered water in the oil.
11/23/11 Oil cooler was pressure tested to 80 psi, changed flywheel and DSG oil.
12/6/11 Found oil in coolant, clutches slipping bad at this point, parked the vehicle.
12/9/11 Changed oil cooler and DSG oil, while oil cooler was still off flushed DSG with air through the oil cooler discharge about 10 times. I was able to get another quart of liquid with the air flush. Shuddering and slipping noise better than before.
12/21/11 Deadline to decide on new gearbox or credit toward new VW, I opted for new vehicle.
12/22/11 Changed DSG oil and removed oil cooler and flushed DSG with air again. While test driving a big noticable differance. Plan is to flush DSG with new oil and air again for the third time on 1/3/12. The gearbox is getting progressively better every time I've flushed it. I believe it will be restored with 1 or 2 more flushes. Cost is about $150 per flush much less than $3599.00 for new DSG w/discount option.
1/4/12 Changed DSG oil and removed oil cooler and flushed DSG with air again. While test driving a big noticable differance. Before shuddering would shake the whole car, now barely noticeable and no noise when gears shift. Plan is to flush DSG with new oil and air again for the final time on 2/3/12.

Last edited:

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
DATE: 12/30/11
Name: Whiplash Willy
Year: 2011
Model: Jetta Sedan TDI
Date of auto production: 06.11
Engine code: CJA
Transmission Code: MSV
Date of DSG Production: ?
Miles when purchased: 60
Current miles: - 5765
Area of country: - Pacific Northwest - Portland, Oregon
Fuel Statistics: - best/average/worst 35.1/33.9/32.6

*Drive Mostly in "D" Shift into M or S every day and perform hard accelerations to exercise the turbo and aid breakin

*City = 30% ; Backroads = 60% ; Highway = 10%

Notes:

-Received 37G2 Update right before it was suspended (Updated to Firmware 2705)
-Scheduled for replacement update 1/7/12
-Within the last 500 miles, the transmission now makes a slight whining noise intermittently, usually in high/er gears when at low speeds, more often when coasting or lightly accelerating

Additional Info From VCDS:

Control Module Part Number: 02E 300 057 A
Component and/or Version: GSG DSG AG6 511 2705
Software Coding: 0000020
Work Shop Code: WSC 00066
VCID: 1713104E5F16

Advanced Identification
Serial number: 00001104080941
Identification: TFK-030
Revision: 05351113
Date: 08.04.11
Manufacturer number: 0941
Test stand number: 8503
Flash Status
Programming Attempts: 3
Successful Attempts: 3
Programming Status: 00000000
Required Conditions: 00000000
Flash Tool Code: 11733 444 23069
Flash Date: 19.14.05
Software
000H
Misc.
Hardware number: 02E 927 770 AL
Lot Number: F10
Type Lock: 0003

Last edited:

Jeffreyspahn

TDI
2012 JSW Tdi
Owners of the DSG transmission, in any make or model. We encourage you to register your DSG here. Please add your transmission data in the following form. Add any comments you have to your original post - PLEASE, I am trying to keep this easy for people to scan. You can post information if its relevant to all owners. The data you put in your post should be related to, service, fluid changes, problems, and the resolutions. You can write about you personal experiences with the DSG. Please try to recruit other members to join also. We are some of the first to have F1 technology in our street car transmissions. In the end I believe this transmission will be a winner.
Thank You
WJ Dell
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DATE:6/27/2012
Name: Jeffrey Spahn
Year:2012
Make:Volkswagen
Model:Jetta Sportwagen
Purchased, New or Used:New
Miles when purchased:43
Current miles: 343 " update this whenever you chosse "
Area of country:Iowa - “ southeast USA, - Melbourne Australia "
Fuel Statistics: - " best/average/worst only please " update this whenever you choose
List dates of any problems and or resolutions. Feel free to list any input you might feel will be helpful with the DSG data base.
If you find interesting articles post the link only

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DSG fluid and filter maintenance parts needed
6 liters of DSG fluid part # G052182A2 "could be FUCHS"
1 DSG filter part # 02E305051B (now superceded by last letter C)
1 DSG filter seal part # N91084501
1 Gasket. Part # N 043 809 2.
Suggested tools
14 mm HEX for the drain/fill plug.
8 mm HEX for tube.
VAS 6262.
This tool could be substituted by buying a DSG drain plug and drilling it out. You can then insert a hose nipple into the plug threaded, or you could have it welded. I think the nipple should be the clamp type so the hose can easily be removed for the fill checking. The plug on the bottom of the DSG is 25 mm in diameter and has a 1.5 pitch. I suggest clear hose and many part stores have this. A clean pan to drain the DSG into. I say clean as a inspection of the drained fluid is a good idea as it may show signs of problems.
NOTE

Do not use funnels or hoses that have any other type of oil. Contamination! - The manual is specific about this. Additive contamination may be very harmful to your DSG. Periodic changes are smart and flushing is not reccomended because of contamination from other oil and additives.
Vag-Com is needed to get a running temperature of 35 to 45 C for refill. You could possibly use another means but I am not sure were you would put the test probe.
Its best to do this on a level hard surface. You need not remove the battery to perform the filter change. I think I would prefer to use 4 jack stands or two ramps and 2 jack stands. Keep the vehicle level, that will be critical for proper fill.
1. Remove the engine covers.
2. Disconnect the Mass Air Flow harness
3. Disconnect vent hose and air guide hose
4. Open spring clamp on air guide hose remove from tube
5. Remove filter housing
6. Remove the bottom engine cover
7. Place clean receptacle under DSG
8. Reaching under the battery unscrew filter housing and tilt slightly to empty
9. Remove filter and note is position suction collar is down
10. Remove o-ring seal
11. Install new o-ring seal with coating of fluid
12. Install new filter suction collar down and housing tighten to 15Nm to 20 Nm.
13. Install filter housing
14. Install Mass air Flow harness
15. Install air guide hose
16. Install vacuum hose
17. Connect air guide hose with spring clip
NOTE : There maybe one or two plugs depending on your production date. The rear drain plug and the front is the fill plug. If you have no drain plug than the Fill plug doubles as both. If you have only the one plug than you must remove the snorkel to drain. I suggest you catch all fluid in a clean container and measure !
18. After the fluid is completely drained replace snorkel, 3 Nm.
19. Attach VAS 6262 and pour 5.5 litres of fluid into DSG.
20. Using VAG-COM check DSG temperature.
21. Start engine - do not run engine when trans is empty !!
22. Depress brake select each position for min of 3 seconds. R-N-D-S moving selector to park and DO NOT SHUT OFF THE ENGINE.
23. After the DSG reaches the desired temperature disconnect hose from nipple or adapter coupler on VAS 6262 and allow excess to drain out. When there is only a drip promptly remove adapter and replace the check plug.
NOTE : There will be a cooling pulse every 30 seconds and this is not a indication of overfill. The system is actually idiot proof. It may be easier to cool the fluid before use. CHECK FOR LEAKS and remember clean is the WORD.
Link to the DIY, DSG oil and filter change.
NOTE - Fuch's shows the DSG interval as 60k km or 48 months - I am sure that corrosion may be a issue, and a fluids abilty to resist this is depleted over time.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1639639#post1639639

UPDATE " DMF" DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL

Vw has a new part to supercede the old flywheel. There must have been a problem. The old part is and the new - here is what the parts supplier shows
" Supersession Information Part number 03G105266AP was superseded by part number 03G105266BE."
VOA of VWG052182A2 DSG fluid
Fe Iron --------------------- 0
Al Aluminum --------------0
Cu Copper ---------------- 0
Si Silicone ---------------- 3
Na Sodium --------------- 3
Mo Molybdenum ------- 0
Mn Manganese --------- 0
B Boron ---------------- 118
Sb Antimony ------------- 1
Ca Calcium ------------- 47
P Phosphorus -------- 265
Zn Zinc --------------------- 9
Water Volume ----------- 0.00
Viscosity 100C ---------- 7.50
ISO Code ------------- 21/18/13 - should be better
4 Micron ----------------- 13,068
6 micron ----------------- 1438
10 micron ------------------ 127
14 micron -------------------- 52
21 micron -------------------- 9
38 micron --------------------- 1
70 micron --------------------- 0
100 micron ------------------- 0
TAN ------------------------- 1.00
DATE:6/27/2012
Name: Jeffrey Spahn
Year:2012
Make:Volkswagen
Model:Jetta Sportwagen
Purchased, New or Used:New
Miles when purchased:43
Current miles: 343 " update this whenever you chosse "
Area of country:Iowa - “ southeast USA, - Melbourne Australia "
List dates of any problems and or resolutions. Feel free to list any input you might feel will be helpful with the DSG data base.
If you find interesting articles post the link only

ropniak

TDI
New Jetta 2005 Silver
DATE: 7/15/2012
Name: Ropniak

Year: 2005.5
Make: Vw
Date of auto production: - Apri 2005
Engine code: Brm
Transmission Code: - DSG
Date of DSG Production: - Purchased, New or Used:
Current miles: - 101546
Area of country: - southeast USA
Fuel Statistics: - 42.5 avg

Transmission oil never replaced as per the VW service department. (seal unit) No issues at all. Car been driven thru the Deals Gap "Dragon tail" NC twice.
On the other hand I can feel the DMF vibrates occasionally..

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
DATE: 7/15/2012
Name: Ropniak

Year: 2005.5
Make: Vw
Date of auto production: - Apri 2005
Engine code: Brm
Transmission Code: - DSG
Date of DSG Production: - Purchased, New or Used:
Current miles: - 101546
Fuel Statistics: - 42.5 avg

Transmission oil never replaced as per the VW service department. (seal unit) No issues at all. Car been driven thru the Deals Gap "Dragon tail" NC twice.
On the other hand I can feel the DMF vibrates occasionally..
As usual the dealer is wrong. DSG is not sealed and has service intervals of every 40,000 miles.

TDI
2010 JSW
When car is warm, reverse won't engage

2010 VW Jetta sportswagon TDI auto (DSG)
at about 45k, noticed for first time that, when car is warm, and gearbox has been doing a lot of shifting, reverse won't engage. When I try to put car in reverse, I hear a "click, click, click," as it tries to engage the reverse gear. Only thing that works is to turn off engine, then turn on again. Once I do that, it engages reverse. Almost like it's re-setting the transmission. Car now has 50k, and this has occurred at least a dozen times in the last 5k.

D

dlm308rem

Dsg

DATE: 8/16/2012
Name: DLM308REM
Model: JETTA TDI
Date of auto production: - 01-06
Purchased, New or Used: Used
Miles when purchased: 74500
Current miles: - 90200

Fuel Statistics: - 42 average @ 75mph

Lets see, DSG Service at dealer 40,250m, DMF failure at 74,500m, (the seller actually paid for the repair) DSG Service at 74,500m, Alt. Pulley failure at 76,000m. Now for the fun stuff, the dsg is fun to drive. I generally drive 28m one way to work and it is highway. I leave the drive and go to D until the last 1 mile of the drive, at which point I go to the tip + - and downshift while merging from one interstate to the another, I generally get down to 3rd and stand on the throttle til 4k on the tach shift to forth, sometimes 5th (traffic Pending) and then downshift to a stop at the exit. Manually shift first, second gear into the parking deck, this is where it gets bad. I open the gate at the deck with my card, go thru gate and shift to second, on the uphill ramps going to the 4th floor of the deck I throttle up to about 3k in 2nd gear, this is when the transmission starts shuddering and bucking. It almost feels like tire spin or ESP kicking in, but it is not. I noticed that in 3rd gear while under steady throttle up it started jerking and bucking also. Now I am mad. I had heard that VW had extended the warranty on the dsg to 100,000 miles, so I called a dealer and ran the vin, of course mine is not covered WHY??????? Nobody knows. He states that it sounds like the Control valve is going bad, Great at a mear XXX$$$$ we can fix it. I say never mind, I then start researching this issue and find it a very common issue and sometime a Tranny recalibrating will fix the issue, so having a vag-com unit, I ran the procedure listed on the Ross-tech site.. However some of the steps said to click on the go button and nothing seemed to happen, so I just proceeded to the next step and when complete ran the vehicle as per the specs, 5min in 2nd gear and 5min and 3rd, This seems to have taken the shudder out of 3rd gear but second is still jerky all though a little less violent downshifts are much smoother. A very Disgruntled Stupid Gringo (DSG).

Last edited: