VW move to Common Rail

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
The same mag ("Breaking News" section) talks about Honda's coming to North America with its CR DI engine (now only in Europe).

Looks like VW is going to have some competition in the passenger car diesel segment in a few years.

Bruce

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
Knew that had to happen...when they announced that the PD was history and that there would be no TDI for 07 in the US then the only logical conclusion was that they were going to go with a current technology that can already meet the new EPA numbers....and that's common rail. I believe the MB common rail v6 diesel is already EPA ready for 07.

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
brewer13210 said:
Let's hope that it's a very early 2008 model...mid 2007 would be nice.

Todd
Yes, I agree. My daughter will be in the market for a new car by then and she seems to like the TDI, after she has seen my mpg on my '06 Jetta.

pugman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SW, 2003, Reflex Silver
blaz said:
Looks like VW is going to have some competition in the passenger car diesel segment in a few years.

Bruce
I would like to see Peugeot come back with some of their wonderful diesels! I still have one and the ride and handling are the most impressive that I have seen. With them being one of Europe's largest producers of small diesels, I cannot imagine them ignoring as large a market as North America for much longer.

Once they come back I fear VW will have some real competition.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
pugman said:
With them being one of Europe's largest producers of small diesels, I cannot imagine them ignoring as large a market as North America for much longer.
Well...

Ford seems to have ignored the NA market, their HOME MARKET for quite a while... and they use the PSA Peugeot Citroen HDI diesel...

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
I had a feeling this was the way things would shape up. no TDI's in '07, then CR TDI's in '08. The article references TDI as being "turbo diesel injection" am I incorrect, I always thought TDI standed for "Turbocharged Direct Injection" in which case whichever technology VW went with TDI would still apply because the fuel is being directly injected. (I'm open for being wrong though)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
The PD is at the end of its emission's design lifecycle.

I think the majority of new diesels sold here in NAmerica will have to be common rail + piezo injector systems which offer up to 5 injection events per power stroke*! Talk about control :)

*not to be confused with Ford diesel trucks.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BTW, the newest Jettas/Golfs/Passats are 170hp with this configuration :eek: Does that work for anybody :D

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
dieseldorf: That's not CR, though. That's piezo-actuated PD. ;)

And, it's a 2.0L engine, not a 1.9.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
these are a couple of nice articles:

toofr, are you sure about the PD design??

--Plenty of push at low revs: One of the most important characteristics of the new V6 TDI is the power it develops at low engine speeds. This is one of the special attractions of the TDI and differentiates it clearly from all 6-cylinder petrol engines of similar capacity. Even at 220 km/h this engine is still running at less than 4000 rpm. At motorway speeds of 130 km/h and in sixth gear it turns over at a gentle 2200 rpm. On a country road at 100 km/h and also in sixth gear the engine speed goes down to 1700 rpm. Because of the high torque at low revs, the six-speed automatic gearbox can extremely often be left in top gear without any risk of stalling or dropping into the turbo lag zone – since there is none.

--Compact and light: The Phaeton's new V6 TDI engine is extremely compact, with a length of only 440 mm. A 90° V-angle is the distinguishing feature of the highly rigid but still very light cylinder crankcase; it is cast in vermicular graphite cast iron, which delivers all the rigidity of grey cast iron at 15 percent less weight. This engine weighs a mere 220 kilos, the distance between cylinder centres is 90 mm and its compression ratio is 17:1.

--Runs as quietly as a petrol engine: The 24 valves of this 6-cylinder engine are actuated by low-friction roller finger followers with hydraulic valve-play compensation, a technique that, like the piezo technology, contributes to reducing consumption and exhaust emissions substantially. The engine's acoustics and quiet-running characteristics are also outstanding and are certainly comparable to those of a 6-cylinder petrol engine. Combined with the new common rail system and the highly rigid construction of the cylinder crankshaft housing, the use of roller finger followers also reduces motor noise levels perceptibly. In detail, together with the stress-free and almost play-free camshaft drive gears, they make it possible to reduce the mechanical noise of the valve drive – a fundamental prerequisite for the excellent quiet-running properties of the V6 TDI 3.0, which bear comparison with those of a 6-cylinder petrol engine.

--1600 bar injection pressure: A state-of-the-art common rail system, the Bosch CRIP II+, is responsible for fuel-air mixing. It consists of a high-pressure pump, which can produce an injection pressure of up to 1600 bar, one distribution rail per cylinder bank, the low-pressure system with a fuel pump and a filter, the piezo injectors and an electronic control unit complete with sensors. This is a very high injection pressure for a common rail engine and means that the fuel can be sprayed more finely, which also makes for the best possible mixture and for more efficient combustion. The results can be felt and measured: output (in kW or h.p.) and torque (in Nm) rise just as significantly as consumption and exhaust emissions fall.

--Piezo technology instead of magnetic valves: One key function within this newly designed common rail system is taken over by the piezo injectors. The background to this is that, up to now, electronically controlled magnetic valves have been used in the injectors to control the timing and the duration of injection into each cylinder. The job of the magnetic valves is now handled in the V6 TDI 3.0 and, for the first time ever, by the piezo inline injectors, which operate far faster.

In these new injectors, the injection valves are in turn controlled by units referred to as piezo actuators. Each of these consists of piezo crystals that change their structure and enlarge under electrical voltage. This results in a minimal geometrical change that, with the assistance of a hydraulic element, mechanically actuates the aperture of the injection nozzle needle.

--Faster and lighter: Piezo technology has a large number of practical advantages to offer. The electronically controlled piezo actuator switches five times more quickly that a conventional magnetic valve. Because it is integrated directly into the injector, the movement is transferred directly to the nozzle needle without any mechanical element or any friction, and the moving mass of the nozzle needle has been reduced by 75 percent, from 16 to only 4 grams. Compared with magnetic valves, piezo technology also delivers double the nozzle needle speed. The actual injection goes through a 7-hole nozzle; it contributes to homogenous fuel distribution in the combustion chamber and to reducing emissions by achieving more efficient combustion.

--Four injections in each stroke: Because of these technical conditions it is possible to vary the number of injection cycles in order ideally to match the immediate operating conditions. In the case of the new V6 TDI 3.0, Volkswagen uses up to four injections per working stroke: in addition to the main injection there is a double pre-injection in the low rev range and a single one at medium revs, and there is also a single post-injection at engine speeds up to about 2500 rpm. This sequence of injections guarantees on the one hand the best possible emissions behaviour and on the other hand “softer” combustion, which results in extremely agreeable engine noise levels. The V6 TDI 3.0 can claim a leading position in this respect, and in the passenger compartment of the Phaeton it will hardly be perceived as a diesel engine; on the contrary, the engine noise levels and quiet-running properties are exactly the same as those of a 6-cylinder petrol engine.

--Centrally integrated turbocharger, two intercoolers: In the interests of making the most economical use of space, the turbocharger is located centrally within the V-angle of the engine. In order to achieve the best possible efficiency from the turbocharger, the temperature of the intake air is effectively lowered through two parallel intercoolers with a minimal loss in pressure. The variable turbine geometry of the exhaust turbocharger is controlled in the new V6 TDI 3.0 by aunit referred to as an electric actuator, which enables the guide blades to be set more quickly and precisely. At low engine speeds in particular this results in a faster build-up of turbocharger pressure and thus contributes to a significantly better response behaviour. This direct implementation of acceleration commands is effectively supported by the optimised shapes of the compressor and turbocharger fans.

--Variable intake: There are also three infinitely variable swirl flaps integrated directly into the air intake with which the air movement can be adjusted to suit the immediate engine speed and load. The background to this is that a high degree of swirl at a low engine load optimises combustion just as, conversely, low swirl does at a high motor load. This means in practice that a closed channel at a low load increases the swirl whilst an open channel at a high load make it possible to fill the cylinders to a high level.

--Exhaust gas recirculation: The emissions of the V6 TDI are almost entirely reduced back at the combustion stage. Any exhaust gases that are left are rendered harmless in the next stage. One example is exhaust gas recirculation. The exhaust manifold is designed with double walls and is air-gap insulated, so that the exhaust gases can be sent for treatment without any appreciable heat loss. Effective cooling is necessary, on the other hand, for the actual exhaust recirculation so that, for instance, the emissions of NOx and particles can be effectively reduced. The exhaust gas therefore passes through an exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) cooler with a water through-flow; this is controlled in relation to temperature and load and located in the internal V-angle of the engine, thus achieving an optimum economy of space. In the cold-start phase, however, the exhaust gases “squeeze through” via a bypass channel ahead of the cooler so that the catalytic converters can work more quickly at their ideal operating temperature. Once the engine and the catalytic converters have warmed up the exhaust gas comes directly back into the area of the EGR cooler.

--Catalytic converter and DPF: The exhaust gas is cleaned by a pre-converter located close to the engine (and near to the turbocharger) and the main catalytic converter in the under-floor. Soot particles are then screened out by a diesel particle filter (DPF), a standard feature on the Phaeton V6 TDI 3.0.

Diesel particle filters generally serve the purpose of picking up and eliminating diesel soot before it can be sent out into the environment with the exhaust gases. A system is in use on the Phaeton V6 TDI 3.0 that uses the latest state-of-the-art technology. It is called the “Catalysed Soot Filter” (CSF) and uses a filter coating containing stainless steel that works in two different ways: passive regeneration, in which the soot accumulating in the catalytic converter is converted slowly and gently into CO2, a process that occurs at temperatures between 350 °C and 500 °C and runs continually without any special effort, mainly on long stretches of motorway driving; and active regeneration, during longer period of operation on low load such as in big cities, when the exhaust temperature is actively raised to about 600 °C every 1000 to 1200 kilometres for additional filter regeneration. The particulates accumulating in the filter are burnt off at this temperature.

--Motor management: All these processes have to be perfectly controlled and monitored. In the Phaeton V6 TDI 3.0 this task is handled by the highly efficient Bosch EDC 16 engine management system, which co-ordinates the fuel quantities and the start of fuel injection, the turbo-charger pressure and the exhaust recycling. The electronic system in the Phaeton also provides for a push-button engine start and thus for the use of the optional keyless access unlocking and starting system. To ensure that this start-up works as quickly in the winter as it does in the summer, the engine also has a high-speed pre-heating system with ceramic glow plugs.

VW to Switch to Common-Rail Diesel Technology from PD-TDI

December 13, 2005

Common rail technology differs in that fuel is delivered to all cylinders through a fuel rail that is pressurized by one single pump, with highly precise computer-controlled injectors. Common rail engines are capable of producing multi-phase injections (capable of injecting before and after combustion) for even greater efficiency, performance, refinement and drastically reduced emissions. In case you werent aware, two common-rail diesel engines currently sold in North America are found in the Jeep Liberty CRD, introduced for the 2005 model year, and the Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Cummins pickup which debuted in model year 2003 and updated again as a 2004.5 model... i.e. this is not a revolutionary concept.

Another factor involved in cutting emissions, particulate filters, can be fitted to common-rail diesel-powered vehicles, but they cannot be fitted to unit-injection diesel vehicles. The reason, unsurprisingly, has to do with common-rail technology and its ability to inject fuel during the post-combustion phase. The small secondary burst of fuel allows the temperature of exhaust fumes to rise, allowing for the filtration of emissions-causing particles. Particle filters are able to remove up to 80 percent of particulate emissions and would certainly help VW sneak by lofty tailpipe regulations.

While VW has stuck it out with PD-injection, Audi, by comparison, offers common rail technology on its luxury models. You may have heard the term piezo injector mentioned in reference to diesel-powered A6 and A8 models. Piezo, Greek for "squeeze" are amongst the newest generation diesel injectors available, and capable of delivering fuel even more precisely and at higher pressure than the direct injectors previously used by VWs TDI engines. And when combined with particle filters, vehicles equipped produce carbon dioxide ratings that are significantly lower than those of regular gasoline engines. Combine this with the improved off-the-line performance of torquey diesel engines, reduced fuel consumption and refinement thats on par with regular gasoline engines, and there is no wonder why diesels are so popular in places where fuel quality is clean enough to make use of them.
To you and I, theres one more advantage of switching over to direct injection; price. PD-TDI motors require one unit injector per cylinder, which quickly adds up on the bottom line. By switching to common rail, prices should fall, helping ease the burden of opting for diesel at purchase.

Recently, VW announced that it would be postponing the TDI version of the latest Passat indefinitely. While the new Jetta diesel, only one cubic foot smaller than the outgoing Passat, offers something to these disenfranchised diesel buyers for the interim, VW may change its mind sooner than later, given the news of the switchover, and might also open the door to more powerful diesel for entry level vehicles.

Hopefully VWs commitment to diesel technology will be enough to continue developing and producing diesel technology for years to come. The adaptation of the common rail fuel delivery system should solve the forthcoming issue of meeting global emissions regulations. It should also help emissions pressure, allowing diesels to be sold in North America, and open the doors to a few states which have currently banned diesels - California, Maine, and Wisconsin, to name a few.

bugget

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS 2000
... one distribution rail per cylinder bank, the low-pressure system with a fuel pump and a filter, the piezo injectors and an electronic control unit complete with sensors.

I'm a bit over my head here I would guess but this makes it sound like it is talking about the common rail design with piezo injectors.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
pugman said:
I would like to see Peugeot come back with some of their wonderful diesels! I still have one and the ride and handling are the most impressive that I have seen. With them being one of Europe's largest producers of small diesels, I cannot imagine them ignoring as large a market as North America for much longer.

The workers at Peugeot are too busy convincing people NOT to buy Peugeots, thus pretty much dooming all involved.
http://news.morningstar.com/news/DJ/M05/D18/200605181304DOWJONESDJONLINE000919.html?Cat=Durables

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
competion- bring it on

pugman said:

I doubt it.after all peugot is french. americans won't go for it. and besides, competion will make everyone better. so bring on the Hondas and Pewgeuts.

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS 1.9TDi; 2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDi
bhtooefr said:
The 3.0 V6 is a common rail...

The 2.0 I4 is not... it's being referred to as PPD-TDI (Piezo-Pumpe-Duese)...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2612644

Volkswagen Driver magazine, notes in their Issue 72, May 2006, page 14, that the Golf GT will soon be offered in the UK with the 170 PS 2.0 16-valve TDi-PDE. The piezo-electric injectors, first fitted to the 3.0-litre V6 TDi, give this engine increase power over previous versions.

170 PS @ 4,200 rpm

258 lb ft @ 1,750 - 2,500 rpm

DPF is fitted as standard.

Overall mileage is 46.3 mpg [imperial]
CO2 @ 165 g/km
0-60 in 8.2
Top speed 137 mph

Volkswagen Driver states this motor was to be introduce last November in the Passat, but Production Capacity delays rather than technical difficulties delayed the introduction.

The Golf GT can also be ordered with the 170 PS TSi motor too and is featured in greater detail in this issue of Volkswagen Driver.

TDForNow

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI GLS Wagon; 52k, '85 Quantum TD; 487k
bhtooefr said:
The 3.0 V6 is a common rail...

The 2.0 I4 is not... it's being referred to as PPD-TDI (Piezo-Pumpe-Duese)...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2612644
Spot on.

Volkswagen is to abandon its Pumpe Düse single-injector technology and join the common-rail club, but the company insists that its single-injector technology will stay in use until 2012. The first Volkswagen engine to switch from unit injection to common-rail will be the five-cylinder 2.5-litre unit fitted to the European Crafter van. The first common-rail vehicle for the US market will be the new Jetta in 2008.
:cool:

And having stated that, this looks promising:

A Canadian spokesman told us that there would be no new diesel engine for the Passat in North America until a common-rail unit became available.
;)

Bring the Polo over and between VW and Audi, this would be a good line up: 1.4L (est)129hp, 2.0L I-4 170hp, 2.5L V-5 (est)200hp, 3.0L V-6 225hp, 4.0L V-8 335hp, 5.0L (est) 445hp V-10

Talk about a parade of power!!:D :D

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
VW or Honda?

Who thinks that Honda and Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler will be first to market with 07 emissions legal diesels? I bet Honda is going to beat VW to market in 07.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Oberkanone said:
Who thinks that Honda and Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler will be first to market with 07 emissions legal diesels? I bet Honda is going to beat VW to market in 07.
It wouldn't surprise me. VW is kinda lame at times when it comes to marketing and bringing over the right products to the USA.

TDIdragon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI-PD Manual
I don't care who brings it. I just want to see some competition, some options, and some advancements. The auto industry needs to meet the challenges of fuel economy, emissions, safety, value, and cost. VW and Honda both have the capability. I just hope they take to action.

Step up to the plate and consumers will reward you (I know I will).

pugman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SW, 2003, Reflex Silver
Gothmolly said:
The workers at Peugeot are too busy convincing people NOT to buy Peugeots, thus pretty much dooming all involved.
http://news.morningstar.com/news/DJ/M05/D18/200605181304DOWJONESDJONLINE000919.html?Cat=Durables
It's not just Peugoet that are closing plants in England, GM is as well and the unions are all up in arms!

"Like other major carmakers, Peugoet is moving production from Western to Eastern Europe in an attempt to lower costs. The entire car industry is facing overcapacity and rising raw material, energy and labor costs."

The North American market is not the only one facing shutdowns.

TDForNow

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI GLS Wagon; 52k, '85 Quantum TD; 487k
donDavide said:
It wouldn't surprise me. VW is kinda lame at times when it comes to marketing and bringing over the right products to the USA.
KINDA?!!

It took many years for VW (oA?) to realize that SUV's were popular here. But they caught the down-swing.....yea!!

The Passat has ALWAYS been available with a diesel in other markets, but here, only in the last 3 years of the B-1, first 4 years of the B-2, skipped the B-3 altogether, last 2 years of the B-4, again skipped, the B-5, last 2 years of the B-5.5 and an almost defininite NO with the B-6.

With exception of the '80's, they were sold out to boot!

What about the (lack of) availabilty of 4Motion?

OK I'll stop ranting.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
2500 bar Common rail "HADI" injector!!! Release date 2008 :D

The system works with a two-step pressure generation. A high-pressure pump builds up
a pressure of up to 1,100 bar in the rail. The injection pressure is then raised hydraulically to a
maximum of 2,500 bar in the injectors. The injection curve can be optimally adjusted to requirements
at any given operating point of the engine with two solenoid valves in the injector.​

The HADI drop in that eliminates modification of the current 3rd generation Common rail engine yet provides the increase in pressure from 1600 bar to 2500 bar!

OH! and by the way it helps diesel engines meet the massively strict Tier II bin 5 emissions requirements required after 2007 :D

Last edited: