1992 Jetta Ecodiesel

Amsoilman

TDI
1991 Jetta Ecodiesel - sold. 1992 Jetta Ecodiesel 199.5 Jetta TDI. 2014 Touareg TDI
Hi All,
I have a 1992 Ecodiesel with only 98,777 miles. I am thinking of selling and know there are rare but dont know what's it's worth. Any help would be great Thanks

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Looks like a non sunroof car. Does it have cruise control? Does the A/C work? Any grinds shifting from 1-2?

-J

Amsoilman

TDI
1991 Jetta Ecodiesel - sold. 1992 Jetta Ecodiesel 199.5 Jetta TDI. 2014 Touareg TDI
Correct no sunroof. Has a/c but needs recharged. No grinding through gears. Runs great.
Would like to know how many were made and how many in this color.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The downside of the ECOdiesel is that the AVX trans was geared poorly and the engine gets overworked on the highway, even in 5th gear. Most of these were eventually converted to full turbo diesel with the addition of the LDA IP. The ACH trans would have been a much better choice for highway cruising but that's VW for you...lol.

If you have 5th gear that's great, some were allowed to run low on trans oil and the first to go is 5th because of its position on the 020 case.

According to VW there were 750 1991 and 47 1992 cars, that is if VW figures are to be believed. It's unlikely you will be able to find out how many were produced in a particular color though.

Based on the number of these that came out of the woodwork back around 2006 I don't believe the production numbers I quoted before but I've never been inspired enough to actually see if VW would provide anything different.

As for rarity, yes, I would say that a 92 ECOdiesel is probably rare but so is my pair of never worn Nike Air Presto from before 1989, but that doesn't really determine value. Something can be rare but if not desirable then it has limited value, like my Nike shoes.

If it was one of 3,323 original Porsche 914-6 cars that would be one thing, but it's one of 47 Jetta ECODiesel cars....so you can extrapolate from that just what rare means in this case.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. It's not like any ECOdiesel is all that desirable. In fact it wasn't all that long ago that people bought them as projects and converted them to VR6 or 1.8T etc. I'm not saying don't take a shot on BAT or something like that, you might do better than expected, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Steve

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I don't think I have ever seen one without a sunroof, the late German built A2s often had them.

But it isn't exactly like it is a collector's item. Even for me, and I am probably the biggest A2 diesel lover there is, LOL. You may get a couple grand out of it, and sadly the buyer will probably just run it straight into the ground. :(

Great cars so long as you are not in a hurry to get up to speed. I put over 400k miles on one withOUT a turbo. But once up to 80 it'll cruise along all day.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
My 92 was also a non-sunroof, non-cruise control car.

If I recall VWestlive's site, there were 47 92s sold. But that number might be skewed with 92 model year cars that were sold in 93, 94....

And I'll agree they're great little cars. :cool:

-J

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I don't think I have ever seen one without a sunroof, the late German built A2s often had them.

But it isn't exactly like it is a collector's item. Even for me, and I am probably the biggest A2 diesel lover there is, LOL. You may get a couple grand out of it, and sadly the buyer will probably just run it straight into the ground. :(

Great cars so long as you are not in a hurry to get up to speed. I put over 400k miles on one withOUT a turbo. But once up to 80 it'll cruise along all day.
The sunroof was a component of seven different option packages back in 92 so it's not surprising that a majority of the cars that came out had them. Further, VW published info says it could not be ordered separately like it could be with all Passat 92-97.

I've had three diesel powered 1986 Golfs, two that were dragged home from almost the same location in Wisconsin, one of which ended up being driven for about a decade, loved the cars. In fact Oilhammer saw one of them back sometime around 2002/3 when I drove down to St Louis.

I really do love the Mk2 cars, in fact I have a 92 Carat now that I really do like but if I kept it I'd have to convert it to tdi just to make myself happy. In fact if I did convert it I might be able to get the thing sold maybe.

Steve

EDIT: what color is that? I can't tell if it's silver or calypso? If it's the latter that would help with the sale, it's a desirable color. As a side note if it's silver that would suggest it's a 1991, not 1992.

Last edited:

Amsoilman

TDI
Thanks all for the responses. I know it's not a super valuable car but it sure is cool. It is not silver. It is that calypso color with gray interior
Just trying to get some information and possble.thoughts on value. This forum is awesome for knowledge and help thanks

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I love MK2 diesels, too. Nothing sounds quite like a IDI VW. Any interior shots? If the dash isn't cracked that's a good sign.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Dang, I had a Calypso colored ECODiesel at one point a previous owner had swapped a 16V into. I had plans to eventually put my Mk3's AHU into it and turn it back into a diesel, but sadly I never got the title and the previous owner eventually decided he wanted it back, so I sold it back for what I paid for it and moved on.

Was a super clean southern car too, with Recaros he had also put in.

To this day it still kind of feels like unfinished business... would love another calypso late mk2 to swap a TDI into.

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
obviously market specific but i have seen a trend here in the bay area. less of them for sale and junkyards and i don't see any premium on them sale wise for runners.

don't know whats going on, way less traffic on vw boards as well even trying to buy used parts from people scrapping cars that can be saved.

i like them because if the body is there you can swap out engine/tranny easy. all the other work needed is simple and cheap parts wise, cheaper to insure and register for me as well.

i had a 85 jetta i got like 10 years ago and its still in the family, it was my intro to vw diesels.

i have a 85 golf chasis now, no sunroof, and sadly i had to settle for a 4 door because it was taking me too long to find the project chasis. but i plan to drive it allot over the rabbit i have, its a bit nicer. got a diesel chasis with ac and i have an alh mtdi in it.

wanted to keep it simple and cheap to drive and extend life of new car.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
obviously market specific but i have seen a trend here in the bay area. less of them for sale and junkyards and i don't see any premium on them sale wise for runners.

don't know whats going on, way less traffic on vw boards as well even trying to buy used parts from people scrapping cars that can be saved.

i like them because if the body is there you can swap out engine/tranny easy. all the other work needed is simple and cheap parts wise, cheaper to insure and register for me as well.

i had a 85 jetta i got like 10 years ago and its still in the family, it was my intro to vw diesels.

i have a 85 golf chasis now, no sunroof, and sadly i had to settle for a 4 door because it was taking me too long to find the project chasis. but i plan to drive it allot over the rabbit i have, its a bit nicer. got a diesel chasis with ac and i have an alh mtdi in it.

wanted to keep it simple and cheap to drive and extend life of new car.
The biodiesel/WVO craze has waned quite a bit, and it wasn't as green as some people originally thought. That and it was just a lot of extra work, and with the cost of living around here, who's got the extra time to put up with the extra BS of that!

Plus, credit has once again become easy and people are getting into new cars. Fuel prices have been low enough for long enough that buying trends have skewed back towards new, large trucks and SUVs.

The small economy car is not on people's minds when fuel's cheap enough. Though around here it's not really cheap compared to the rest of the country. All relative, I suppose. Economy is doing well enough, the fuel prices here aren't hurting many people yet.

Many of the greenies are moving on to battery electric, so there's that.