TDI Turbo Siren + Tick

FarzadMK5

TDI
Golf V 2004 TDI
Hello forum.

I bought a golf MK5 for like two months ago, and since then there has been a siren and a ticking from the turbo. The reason why i am sure it's from the turbo, is because i have had it jacked up.

The car is a VW Golf MK5 from 04' 1,9 TDI. The car is chipped from 105 hp to aprox. 150 hp by the previous owner.

The ticking isn't always there, it's there when it's under heavy pressure (Pedal all the way down) It sounds something like a plastic bag in a ventilator, but also kind of metallic.

The siren is always the, when i push the gas pedal and release.

I have searched the interent thin, and found nothing.. I found a couple of topics on this forum, but the solutions didn't work for me..

I have tried opening the EGR valve and pipe for leaks but nothing found. I cleaned them as i had opened it.

This is driving me nuts. Some people says its normal, others say it's dying..

Any help will be appreciated! :)

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Hello forum.
I bought a golf MK5 for like two months ago, and since then there has been a siren and a ticking from the turbo. The reason why i am sure it's from the turbo, is because i have had it jacked up.
The car is a VW Golf MK5 from 04' 1,9 TDI. The car is chipped from 105 hp to aprox. 150 hp by the previous owner.
The ticking isn't always there, it's there when it's under heavy pressure (Pedal all the way down) It sounds something like a plastic bag in a ventilator, but also kind of metallic.
The siren is always the, when i push the gas pedal and release.
I have searched the interent thin, and found nothing.. I found a couple of topics on this forum, but the solutions didn't work for me..
I have tried opening the EGR valve and pipe for leaks but nothing found. I cleaned them as i had opened it.
This is driving me nuts. Some people says its normal, others say it's dying..
Any help will be appreciated! :)
Silly question but how's the oil level?

Blackjedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5 speed 1.9 alh tdi
Drive untill you see smoke, stop when you see flames.
Seriously though is there a way you could post a video? What do you mean there is a siren sound from the turbo? Ticking from the turbo? That sounds very odd, are you sure the ticking isn't coming from the exhaust manifold?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The "siren" sound is, most likely, the turbo telling you to stop driving the car. Remove the hose from the turbo inlet and check for shaft play.

FarzadMK5

TDI
Golf V 2004 TDI
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gIjfY8-4Ta8

This is a video i found on YT. Exactly same Sound.

Its hard to record a video with The ticking Sound, as The Sound from The engine would Sound louder. But Exactly as you put a can between your bike and bike ture when you we're a kid, to produce motor sounds.., just more metallic.

The Oil level is perfect.

Last edited:

Blackjedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5 speed 1.9 alh tdi
Shaft play? Can you please go in details?
Shaft play is when the intake or exhaust side of the turbo shaft moves a good amount. Normaly the turbo shaft shouldn't move to moving a very tiny anount. You can take off the intake or exhaust side of the turbo inlets/outlets and wiggle the shaft, if it moves a decent amount it is shot.

FarzadMK5

TDI
Golf V 2004 TDI
So if i take the black pipe on the turbo out, and try to move the shaft inside, its broken or?

D24T

TDI
2001 Jetta
Take off the plastic (rubber?) pipe coming from the air filter, but right at the turbo. You should be able to grab the end of the shaft with two fingers and try to wiggle it. Careful not to introduce dirt into it, and be gentle on the blades. Normally there should be no noticable end play (in-and-out), and maybe just enough side-to-side to even be noticeable (think 0.002", room for oil).

But no - if the shaft was broken, you would probably have more issues. Typically this will inject engine oil into your intake piping or exhaust piping.

Spenser

FarzadMK5

TDI
Golf V 2004 TDI
Take off the plastic (rubber?) pipe coming from the air filter, but right at the turbo. You should be able to grab the end of the shaft with two fingers and try to wiggle it. Careful not to introduce dirt into it, and be gentle on the blades. Normally there should be no noticable end play (in-and-out), and maybe just enough side-to-side to even be noticeable (think 0.002", room for oil).

But no - if the shaft was broken, you would probably have more issues. Typically this will inject engine oil into your intake piping or exhaust piping.

Spenser
I will try this in This week.

However i just tested it and i Got:

16621 boost pressure Too Low signal.

I dont know if this came from last i had opened some of The parts to check? What is it

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
The turbo shaft play check is a good idea.

If the shaft is tight (no signifficant axial or longitudinal play) and still hear the siren sound, check for boost leaks in the piping as there are some people that have reported the dreaded siren noise that was caused by a boost leak

What i do is with the engine off, disconnect the air howe from the intake, right after the maf sensor is and zip tie a thick plastic bag and then blow short shots of compressed air trough the breather hose.

I rigged the compressed air tip to fit tighlty in the breather hose using duct tape. After short blows of air if the piping is air tight will inflate the plastic bag like a balloon. If there is a leak you will likely hear a hissing sound.

This is handy because this is done with the engine off so no diesel clatter to mask the air leak noise.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
...then blow short shots of compressed air trough the breather hose.

I rigged the compressed air tip to fit tighlty in the breather hose using duct tape. After short blows of air if the piping is air tight will inflate the plastic bag like a balloon. If there is a leak you will likely hear a hissing sound.

This is handy because this is done with the engine off so no diesel clatter to mask the air leak noise.
What breather hose is this you speak of, specifically?

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
The hose that connects the PCV to the intake.

This is the short smaller hose found on top of the valve cover that is conected to the intale pipe.

If you carefully remove it, the fitting on the intake tube is very convenient for pumping air.

FarzadMK5

TDI
Golf V 2004 TDI
The turbo shaft play check is a good idea.
If the shaft is tight (no signifficant axial or longitudinal play) and still hear the siren sound, check for boost leaks in the piping as there are some people that have reported the dreaded siren noise that was caused by a boost leak
What i do is with the engine off, disconnect the air howe from the intake, right after the maf sensor is and zip tie a thick plastic bag and then blow short shots of compressed air trough the breather hose.

Could it not be Something with The intake manifold to The engine?

FarzadMK5

TDI
Golf V 2004 TDI
I have now jacked The car. I adjusted The actuator on The turbo, and The rattle dissapeared in idle, but only ticks when I'm driving(accelerating). I lenghted The actuator as much as possible. How should i adjust this? And is there The same fix for golf mk5 1,9 tdi 105 with The wastegate clip fix??

FarzadMK5

TDI
Golf V 2004 TDI
Can you give more detail what did you move?
Rod lenght? Or stop screw?
Rod length, you know The rod on The actuator with The Two screws to adjust. But today i shortened it again(The power wasnt The same), and this time more short than it was The first time. Now The rattle is much more clear, you can easily hear it, it has Got a bit louder.