where to get new headlights? whats the best of the best?

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Today's headlamps absolutely ARE precision optics. have you any ideal the difficulty of bringing a collection of tiny LED chips (which generally have a bat-wing pattern, limited forward emission) into a defined beam pattern with controlled overspill?

There's a lot of very clever tech there, and I think you'll be finding moulded aspheric elements, just like the high-end camera lenses.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Something to consider, that I haven't seen mentioned...with some of the larger projectors, the depth of the projector itself may be too large on the driver side of the car which in turn means battery relocation, usually to the trunk...I've seen quite a few that have been done properly and look good...so if you want to put the time in, by all means do it. Wankel7, your hid set up is impressive!

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Something to consider, that I haven't seen mentioned...with some of the larger projectors, the depth of the projector itself may be too large on the driver side of the car which in turn means battery relocation, usually to the trunk...I've seen quite a few that have been done properly and look good...so if you want to put the time in, by all means do it. Wankel7, your hid set up is impressive!
Thank you :)

The FX-R 2.5" fit...I retained my battery box but trimmed it a little bit where the headlight sits. It was close though.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
While I've seen lots of options for Jetta and Golf owners, my wife has a 14 Beetle, anything out there short of a frankenstein setup? I don't mind doing it, the issue is pulling the lights for a day and doing the work.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
While I've seen lots of options for Jetta and Golf owners, my wife has a 14 Beetle, anything out there short of a frankenstein setup? I don't mind doing it, the issue is pulling the lights for a day and doing the work.
Have fun with the permaseal.

It's not like the MK4 days of the easy bake (Jetta & Golf) or made to be disassembled (New Beetle).

probably going to take more than a day to figure it out.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Have fun with the permaseal.

It's not like the MK4 days of the easy bake (Jetta & Golf) or made to be disassembled (New Beetle).

probably going to take more than a day to figure it out.
Ok, well a more direct question, has anyone seen something to upgrade the 2014 with? We live out in the country, and deer have a nasty center of the road fascination around here. Drop in replacement works, I effectively bought her the last 2014 TDI in the light blue anywhere east of the Rockies, so I got what it came with, she wanted that color. Now I have to adjust some things to get what she wanted, but was not available to purchase.

94x

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2002 CTD w/12 valve, 2003 GTI w/ALH
Check local laws before buying and installing HIDs. Aftermarket HIDs are not legal in MA. A car will fail state inspection and can be ticketted for aftermarket HIDs in MA.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Check local laws before buying and installing HIDs. Aftermarket HIDs are not legal in MA. A car will fail state inspection and can be ticketted for aftermarket HIDs in MA.
So if you retrofit hid projectors how would they know?

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
So if you retrofit hid projectors how would they know?
Exactly, I saw gas models for 2014 with Bi-Xenon, so it exists, I just couldn't pick it up that way. Guess it's time to spring for the weekend access and download all the PDFs for the 2014 to figure out all the parts I have to get to make the replacement happen.

Since it is a 2012-2014 part, finding some rear end totaled gas models should start to be possible. That's the current operating plan to source OEM assemblies, it's the surrounding electronics that I'm really trying to get a complete list for now.

Last edited:

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
Check with your insurance too, sometimes it is voided if you have offroad use products on the vehicle or products which don't meet Canadian safety standards. Most people find this out after an accident.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Exactly, I saw gas models for 2014 with Bi-Xenon, so it exists, I just couldn't pick it up that way. Guess it's time to spring for the weekend access and download all the PDFs for the 2014 to figure out all the parts I have to get to make the replacement happen.

Since it is a 2012-2014 part, finding some rear end totaled gas models should start to be possible. That's the current operating plan to source OEM assemblies, it's the surrounding electronics that I'm really trying to get a complete list for now.
the first thing is to see if your BCM supports it. So, see there is a check box for bixenons on it with VCDS