Another leaking valve cover thread?

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Has anyone tried using brake fluid to soften the rubber gasket on an ALH valve cover gasket?

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Never tried that. I put a layer of copper gasket maker on the head(after cleaning it) then put the valve cover on. A solid layer of gasket maker always seals mine up well.

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
I've always used anaerobic sealer and never had a leak. I have a lot of the pink Volvo sealant around so that is what I end up using, although any other brand should work just as well.

I've seen a topic about just replacing the seal instead of the whole cover. I don't know what ever happened with that...

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
The seal isn't available separately. You need to drop 200 bucks on a new valve cover.

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
You can get the gasket alone, just do a little googling.

Or remove and replace with either silicone or a generic o-ring of the correct length.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
I did googling. Apparently the gasket is molded into the valve cover. It goes around all the fasteners, so it's not like an o-ring.
There are plenty of threads on this on these pages.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm sure they are. He Who Shall Not Be Named sells them.

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
prothe

*In a whispering voice...

Last edited:

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
wow.. I googled "prothe VW" and wow. just read about him on 3 different forums, from probably 40 different posters. sounds like he sells even worse stuff than you get on ebay.

I have a feeling he shops on alibaba.com. factory direct for pennies (must buy 10,000 units though) and its absolutely garbage.

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
buying a generic gasket or using sealant without a gasket is just asking for trouble. Would you rather do the job once or over and over again? Choose the right way the first time and save yourself time and money over the long run.
What about using a gasket and sealant together. Even the original gasket