Reliant Scimitar TDI conversion

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
Hi just started a new TDI project
i've already done one before details here -> https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=439514
thats all done running great so i thought i'd do it again
the car i'm doing it on is a 1971 Reliant Scimitar

my donor this time is a golf mk4 GTTdi

only issue i've found so far is the wiring is different to the passat i used before, and i haven't got a wiring diagram for the golf

Zed.

TDI
'89 B3 T'die Passat wagon. '95 T4 van (1Z T'die converted). '87 mk2 Golf AHU tdi converted /02a etc. '92 & '95 200tdi Landrover Discovery
Hi just started a new TDI project
i've already done one before details here -> https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=439514
need more progress details on the transit thread;)
and, whats the plan for the 'Slime-Eater'?
only issue i've found so far is the wiring is different to the passat i used before, and i haven't got a wiring diagram for the golf
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=387649
might help for the wiring, the basic sensor's are obvious (oil/coolant/starter/reverse lighting/vss) and I believe the ecu's all use the same pinout:confused:
also, may be of help,
http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/vw-audi-1-8-litre-to-ford-type-9-bellhousing.html

not the cheapest @ £262.50 but will allow the use of ford gearboxes
will be watching with intrest....
Rich.

Last edited:

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
the transit hasn't changed much just done a few more miles - still been reliable no real issues at all.

tbh i'd pay £260 for the bell housing but i don't want a type 9 box

The plan is to use an RX8 box with an adapter plate, i'm going to try to use the passat starter and flywheel but ideally i could do without the DMF been looking at the B4 passat solid flywheel but it doesn't have the cut outs on the back - need to look see if it there is a crank sensor that it needs to pick up on (and i'm not sure if it will bolt up)
edit- just looked it does have a flywheel sensor

good info on the wiring thread! when i did the passat i bought the haynes manual and it had good diagrams but i've got the one for the golf and it doesn't cover the ecu

Last edited:

Zed.

TDI
'89 B3 T'die Passat wagon. '95 T4 van (1Z T'die converted). '87 mk2 Golf AHU tdi converted /02a etc. '92 & '95 200tdi Landrover Discovery
I've been fancying another transit, my last was a '95 lwb/hightop with the 'epic' td(i) engine but had a few 2.9i v6 lwb's (ambulance & minibus, still got a complete 2.9i conversion in the garage...) 2.5di lwb and a 2L petrol mk2 swb...

i'm going to try to use the passat starter and flywheel but ideally i could do without the DMF been looking at the B4 passat solid flywheel
transverse & inline flywheels differ - the ring-gear is on the gearbox side (transverse) & engine side (inline), may be other diferences but I've never looked closely:eek:

also, thought the crank-sensor was on the rear main oilseal (pd??)

as to the bellhousing, was meant as you could re-use the origonal overdrive gearbox (the bellhousings can be re-drilled for other options) but the likes of an rx8 gearbox has an integral belhousing/gearcase so as you say, would need an adapter-plate to the cylinderblock:)

Rich.

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
I've been fancying another transit, my last was a '95 lwb/hightop with the 'epic' td(i) engine but had a few 2.9i v6 lwb's (ambulance & minibus, still got a complete 2.9i conversion in the garage...) 2.5di lwb and a 2L petrol mk2 swb...
i used a 2.9 ambulance engine to convert another transit i have to fit 24v cossy BOA that was a really nice motor

i see what you mean the scimitar gearbox would be a nice conversion (mine has working overdrive too) but i'm gonna have a go at making an adapterplate i've got a 5 speed rx8 box - i looked at the ratios and the 5 speed suited the pd better than the 6 speed - even though the 6 speed would be good for novelty value
i've still got the flywheel left over from the passat conversion so i'll try to utilise that
my only other issue with turning the engine 90 deg is if i get any problem using a fwd sump but looking at the design it looks ok - i guess it was ok on cornering so i can't really see a problem - also allows me to tilt the engine more vertical which will be better for access - the scimitar engine bay is quite cramped

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
bit more progress :)
i'm using an RX8 gearbox coupled to the VW engine, I can't find an adapter plate made for this so i've got to make my own. Also after talking to some of the suppliers of these plates i'd be a bit concerned about the manufacturing tolerances, it's ok saying its CAD drawn CNC machined and laser cut if the initial measurements are out.
to make my plate i've copied a VW plate for the engine holes - that is the easy part to get the bellhousing accurate i've stripped off the bellhousing made a brace to bolt the dti onto the crank, made a stand for the engine then rotated the crank round to true up the bellhousing i've then centred the holes i need using a mag drill, swapped the bit out to the correct size, unbolted the bellhousing then drilled the plate, i've repeated this for every hole - very time consuming but guarantees accuracy
the manufacturers tolerance on the centre of the gearbox input shaft to the crank is +/- 0.12mm this way i can get it within that

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
back on with this
gearbox out

got the starter motor mount lined up and drilled out on the adaptor plate

unfortunatly i need to cut a bit out of the bellhousing but a small price to pay

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
few more pics
this is the finished plate (gearbox side)

engine side

i had an issue with one of the bellhousing bolts landing on top of the plate bolt so i made this clamp to get round it - should be fine - all the other bolts are ok and the 2 locating dowls fit perfect

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
Nice project, I am on the look out for the same car and going to put a tdi in but the 2.5 tdi out of a lt 35 MTDi , what diff you thinking about 2.9? Is it a 3.5 standard , I'm I right thinking the older jag diff gears fit
not sure on the jag diffs but i have heard they do fit.
i was just thinking of leaving the axle i have in as the ratio is pretty relaxed and i think it will be fine with the Tdi
i looked at mazda boxes and i think the 5 speed has ratios more suited to the Tdi than the 6 speed so i went for one of those

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
engine and box bolted together
1st rwd mazda box'd 1.9Tdi i've seen - anyone know of any others?

close up of the plate (bolts need changing for correct length)

bit of a hassle getting it in

it's sat like that (well a bit further) going to continue tomorrow :D

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
yes they are quite lucky, i'm sure some hate it but quite a few stop for a chat and show a lot of interest in it.
got some shiney bits - the rad is a polo one and is a bit too big but i think i can get it in, the intercooler is one i bought for a previous project and ended up not using, might struggle to get that fitted in, i think it might be a bit much for a standard engine anyway. with the scimitar the spare tyre fits in front of the engine on top of the radiator, i want to keep it there

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
other progress i've decided to use the original oil filter/cooler i've started to make a bracket to space it out from the block

after trying to find a smaller alt i've decided to just make a new bracket for the standard one
bracket needs finishing but the alt now fits with 10mm gap - i've got a spare bare block on the bench so i used that to jig this up make sure it was perfectly true

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
had a bit of a break from this but now back on with it, got some rota grid's for it and tonight fitted the engine and box back in - hopefully in for good now

not sure if this link works but .................

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
This thing is awesome!

And alternately, after seeing your transmission choice, all I can think of is how I want a TDI swapped RX-8

jwrb

TDI
Caddy MK2 ALH, Cordoba Vario ASV, Cordoba Vario Cupra 1.9 High Power Build
had a bit of a break from this but now back on with it, got some rota grid's for it and tonight fitted the engine and box back in - hopefully in for good now

not sure if this link works but .................
All the pictures are gone!! :(

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
o_Owhere's all my pics goneo_O

i've had a bit of a break from this but i'm back on with it just got the intercooler mounted and piped up

is there a new way of uploading pics now??

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
looks a lot better now it's laid out

all the wires going through the bog roll are for fuses or fuel pump etc.

i've not got anything on the orange plug - anyone know if i'll be ok?

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
fuses i've got wires for are

fuse no/description/amp/colour

32 injectors 30a blue
28 fuel pump 15a blue
43 engine control 10a blue/yellow
13 brake lights 10a red/brown
34 engine control 10a yellow/black
29 ECM 10a black/purple

also got a red/black wire that was spliced into the loom - not sure what this is, anyone know?

also i don't have the glowplug relay out yet i'll get this later but should be able to run it without it.

Last edited: