Jeep Grand Cherokee possible buy?

chemist93

TDI
'03 New Beetle
I thought I'd ask this. Currently are the Grand Cherokee diesels good buys? What are the problems that show up? I'm looking to buy a diesel 4x4, and the question of SUV versus a crew cab truck was raised. Any help will be appreciated.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Don't know too much about them, but the WK is using the same Mercedes V6 as, well, pretty much everything Mercedes diesel in the US from 2007 on.

DrewD

Veteran Member
They are a solid buy provided only if the following was done to them
1. Upgraded intake hose that connects to the turbo. The old one leaks blowby oil onto the swirl motor causing the swirl motor to eventually fail. Its a very $$$$$$$$ and timing consuming job to do right.

2. Provent crank case ventilation filter. Reduces blowboy in intake streak, less chance of oil leaking onto swirl motor and less oil trapped in intercooler.

3. Plastic splash shield on alternator.....

Its a great vehicle and we love ours!

mdp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
3.0 V6 TD in the Grand Cherokee 2013 model year. Lets hope it's the beginning of a flood of diesels to NA.

chemist93

TDI
'03 New Beetle
Thanks for the advice, guys. I will probably be doing the diesel truck option in the future, with possibly a CJ-7 before that. Since I live in WNC, I need a higher clearance than the '03 Beetle has. Mountain roads here can be like Mt. Washington in the winter. Snow, downed trees= pack a chainsaw for grocery trips.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Why? And what does it have to do with this thread?
You should read all the posts before commenting!

Since I live in WNC, I need a higher clearance than the '03 Beetle has. Mountain roads here can be like Mt. Washington in the winter. Snow, downed trees= pack a chainsaw for grocery trips.
OP stating he needs a higher clearance then the 03 Beetle he currently drives. So by lifting the car, his clearance issues will be resolved. This obviously was a joke!

Last edited:

mdp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You should read all the posts before commenting!

OP stating he needs a higher clearance then the 03 Beetle he currently drives. So by lifting the car, his clearance issues will be resolved. This obviously was a joke!
Yeah that was clever.

chemist93

TDI
'03 New Beetle
Unfortunately, that's not high enough. I did find a YJ that has a diesel swap, but a no bugs truck system is better.

mgibby363

TDI
'01 Golf TDI, '11 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
My gramps had one. It was really nice, but he didn't like the seats...so rigid for him. So he traded it for a Touareg, much more comfortable.