How much dependable life after 150,000 miles

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW New Beetle 2006.5 Jetta Edition
Ok, I have a 2001 TDI Bug which has been a good car in that it has 124,000 miles and the only really big unexpected expence has been a turbo replacement that is happening this week.

Since that car has been passed on to my son I'm in the market for another but after 2 months of searching I have realized that the only TDI's I can afford are high millage 130,000 to 140,000. The models are usually 2004-05's my budget is $10,000 to $11,500

I feel that the 2001-03 will allow me to get a lower miles one but still they have close to or not over 100,000 them selves.

That leads me back to my orignal question......How much dependable life is left after 150,000 miles......and with this budget what would you long time TDI owner's be looking for?

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Dependability depends.

It depends on how it was taken care of.

It depends on how you take care of it.

My 98 NB runs just fine at 204000 miles.

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
Dependability depends.

It depends on how it was taken care of.

It depends on how you take care of it.

My 98 NB runs just fine at 204000 miles.
Assume it was taken care of and that the maintance would continue after purchase.

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
Is there any model year better then others for rust......thought I heard that VW uses galv. sheet metal?

Have not notice any rust yet on my 2001 TDI Bug but it's always been garaged.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
As whitedog mentioned, so accurately I might add, "it depends".

How the PO maintained it, how the PO drove it, how you maintain it, and how you drive it.

In my research, 350k-500k or more is not unusual, barring wrecks and maintenance.

Look over the 'Project' link in my signature. I bought my Passat with 138k on the clock. The link will give you a good idea of how mistreated the car was before I got my hands on it.

I just turned 195k this week, and it's still going strong. The only two issues with the car: 1) It's UGLY and 2) It has some interior rattles on rough roads. Both of which I can deal with for another few years.

The concept I need to introduce you to, is "Catch-Up Maintenance". This is where the PO knows they are going to unload the car after 100k miles and starts letting things go, hoping to unload the car onto some poor unsuspecting buyer. In my case, IIRC, the total was about $7k. BUT...I have saved almost $6k in fuel over the last 3 years by driving the Passat V. my dually. I am nearly break even to zero. Meaning, in just over 3 years, this car would have paid me back almost every penny I put into it to get it running in tip-top shape. How many people can claim that about their vehicles?

As far as I can tell, at this point, I should be able to get another 150K or more out of the car.

HTH

Tony

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
I think this begs to question other than the car body being bend totally out of shape what if consider EOL end of life for a tdi. turbos can be replaced heads rebuilt. Maybe a rod thru the block? but there are plenty of use motors out there......just a thought

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Tony nice project thread.......Even with the $$$ invested you bought the car right

One of the cars I'm looking at has a carfax that shows dealer maintance thoughout it's life but has 2 owners with the second owning it only a 1- 1/2 years and 20,000 miles which makes me feel he gave up on it.

It's bounced between dealers for the last year and is now in the service dept at the current used dealer. His words were there's 6 people waiting to test drive it as soon as it ready and I better hurry down to buy it or it will be gone. :D

But it's a midwest car and I'm thinking it might be better to pick one up that didn't spend it's life in the rust belt........if rust is an issue with mid 2000's cars

Last edited:

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok then 140,000 mile TDI is fine.......But buyer beware on PO maintance and prepair to do catch up maintance to the tune of couple thousands of dollars over purchase price.

I already have an old fleet of cars (4) that I'm taking care so I understand the cost of maintance. I'm begining to feel it would be cheaper to make a payment on a newer model then having the title to a 10 yr old car.:confused:

I just can't stand not to fix something that is broke but this next purchase will be handed down to my daughter in 3 years so (to me) no sense in getting too new of one, a clean 2003-04 would be perfect. But the 2004-06 cam problem scares me to death.

So this leaves me looking for a clean low millage 2002-2003 but if rust is an issue with these years then I need to travel to find a clean west coast or south eastern car........which is OK.

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
But the 2004-06 cam problem scares me to death.
Don't let it bother you. I wasn't crazy about spending the money to replace the DMF, then 2 years later replacing the cam. It did leave me feeling I should unload the car. But, 25k miles later it's still going strong with a total 126k miles on the car.

Matter of fact, it might make sense to buy the car, do the timing belt and cam. Just a thought.

So this leaves me looking for a clean low millage 2002-2003 but if rust is an issue with these years then I need to travel to find a clean west coast or south eastern car........which is OK.
The '02 - '03 is considered the holy grail of high MPG TDI's; efficiency, comfort, and polish.

Tony

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Find a guru to give your prospective purchase a detailed lookover. Based on that, buy or pass. PDs are running around with 150k-250k on them. Maintenance and preventive repair/service will get you there with most cars. With TDIs think double that.

All the best in your quest.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
^^ x2 in general.
It depends on maintenance history, how it was driven, and a little luck.
A well maintained TDI with 150K miles on the clock is youthful to middle aged.
A solid approach is to establish relationship with a guru who can make a good solid evaluation of your candidate(s).
Unfortunately with the current TDI market, you have the added burden of needing the ability to quickly view, assess, and pull the trigger if appropriate- because a well maintained vehicle typically doesn't last long on the used market, even at elevated price.

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
When I sold my 02 Golf TDI last year with only 361k miles on the odometer it was still way too early to tell how much dependable life was left in it. :cool:

How can a properly maintained TDI last? The world may never know..... :cool:

Last edited:

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Originally Posted by Corsair
A well maintained TDI with 150K miles on the clock is youthful to middle aged.

In human years, it would be - 45 Years old maybe?
... 45 yrs if its garage companion is a pickup, SUV or camry.

... 25 yrs if its garage companion is a new beetle, TT, GTI.....

you're only as old as what you.... park next to ;)

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
As others have said earlier take it to a guru. Take it to a guru. Take it to a guru. I am the second owner of my car. I bought it with 186,000 miles. The dealer had all the service records there and said the car was in great shape. I still did not trust him, took him to my mechanic (the same guy who earlier on this thread said he has 409,000 miles on his) and he told me what it needed to be in tip top shape. So I spent a little more getting it fixed up but most importantly dont let the mileage scare you.

Oh its a 2000 Jetta TDI. Spent 4k on it and currently drives perfectly, gets 50 mpg regularly, and is in better mechanical shape than my dad's almost new Ford Fusion with 60k miles. It is all about how you maintain the car after you get it, IMO.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Jason's car has 268,000 on it now. Just did turbo, lifters and a bunch of other stuff. It runs better than when it was new!

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish I knew a TDI guru in my area. Another problem is what happens if the TDI is 1,500 miles away from me? Is there a 3rd party inspection company that could look at the car? I see that Ebay offers one has anyone use them before?

I looked at a 2005.5 Jetta yesterday that had 144,000 miles (look like a new car) but the car smelled so bad of stale cigarettes that I didn't even take it for a drive.

http://www.pricedriteauto.com/-/-/Used-cars/forsale.html?make=&model=&ty=Used&bstyle=Sedan&eng=&specials=&cu=&ws=&mnprc=&mxprc=&vid=21575&pg=&ord=&sort=

The jetta just had a new clutch put in and was listed at $11,495 which I thought was a fare price but I wished I asked about it being a non smoker before coming down to look at it.

The 100 mile round trip wasn't a complete loss though. Just sitting in the car and starting it up told me that it felt to big and was to quite I could hardly hear the engine idle compared to my 2001 TDI Bug.

My mind is made up.........I'm going after a 2002-03 Golf or New Bettle. I will most likely have to travel to find one, there is nothing around here.

Last edited:

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I bought my 2001 Golf TDI with 158K. It was an insurance auction car so I had no previous records or history. Just passed 300K this month. So far she's cost 5.7 cents per mile for repairs and maintenance.
My old '87 Golf gasser also cost right around 5.5 cents per mile. That car was bought at 160K, I put 411K on her and sold her with 654K, still running fine.
Do all the regular maintenance, don't cheap out on repairs, fix stuff as soon as a problem appears and you can likely run the car forever. Or until the body rusts out, at least.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I already have an old fleet of cars (4) that I'm taking care so I understand the cost of maintance. I'm begining to feel it would be cheaper to make a payment on a newer model then having the title to a 10 yr old car.:confused:
Sounds like you have spares. So if what you buy needs work (and anything that gets bought used can suddenly need work), it sounds like you are covered. If you can drive it for a few years before handing down, you should be able to easily find all the potential problems, and repair them long before passing it along.

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, good advice.....from all.

Last edited: