Things to check before CPO warranty expires

badhat

TDI
2012 Audi A3
I've got about two weeks left for the 2yr/100k on my CPO.
I'm wondering what are the things that need to be looked at? One thing that comes to mind is to get the EGR valve cleaned and my starter/alternator checked. I say the latter because I had to replace the battery this past winter -- but I still notice it's having some trouble with starting after sitting overnight (and it's not been particularly cold -- nearly 40F in the AM).

Boy, I wish there was a closer garage on that Trusted TDI Mechanics list where I could take it. Just about everything is a 2hr hike or more for me :(

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Check and see if it is a 2009 through 2014 CR TDI and if it is get rid of it before it costs you what it is worth or way more in emission or HPFP repairs.

The starter/alternator are not a a high fail item or expensive, however, the HPFP, not if it fail but when it fails is about $10,000 in repairs.

Your trusted mechanic or Guru can not keep you from spending money on repairs on a really terrible design. Those year cars should be avoided like the plaque.

Last edited:

badhat

TDI
2012 Audi A3
Aren't they all CR for that range? Mine is in my avatar -- definitely the type affected by the emissions scandal if that's what you mean. That is -- I'm not sure if those affected by the scandal also have fuel pump issues... that's news to me (inner voice: "Well, shiiiiiiiiit").

EDIT:
Went and educated myself here. So, yeah, this is an issue with all of the high pressure common rail systems, which includes mine. Perhaps I can have it tested for metal in the fuel system when I bring it in for my last warranty-covered checkup.

Last edited:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Check and see if it is a 2009 through 2014 CR TDI and if it is get rid of it before it costs you what it is worth or way more in emission or HPFP repairs.

The starter/alternator are not a a high fail item or expensive, however, the HPFP, not if it fail but when it fails is about $10,000 in repairs.

Your trusted mechanic or Guru can not keep you from spending money on repairs on a really terrible design. Those year cars should be avoided like the plaque.
VW extended the warranty for HPFP failures to ten years or 120K miles. Repairs cost significantly less than $10K.

badhat

TDI
2012 Audi A3
Thanks, South Coast Guy, I did just look that up. The warranty stipulates a misfueling guard, which I don't know how to tell if it's been installed, and also a fuel contamination clause... I wonder if the latter means I can't use Power Service fuel additives? It gets cold up here in the winter and my fuel did gel more than a couple times this winter.