Do we have a feeling of how the MK7 2.0 TDI will age?

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Coming from the MK4s where the engines were capable of hitting over 400 000 km without too much trouble, is there any feeling/consensus yet on how the MK7 engines (and vehicles overall) are aging? Is it generally expected that these engines will achieve the same longevity or are there particular reasons to expect them not to (increased complexity being the main one)?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
CR was the big technology jump in 2009 and the biggest quality issue was the Bosch HPFP rather than the engine. The HPFP problems seem to have mostly been cleaned up by about the 2012 model year.

I haven’t heard many horror stories on the EA288, and we have a few already approaching six digit mileage. There haven’t been many “my 2015 just grenaded” threads that I’ve seen.

The air/water intercooler and more complex coolant circuitry seem to be the new stuff. Keep an eye on those. Most niggling issue I’ve seen here are some failed water pumps and coolant leaks of various nature.

I have no regrets through almost 25k miles. Time will tell.

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
I’m still a low mileage person on mine at just over 22k, but mechanically it seems like it’ll last. It’s better than my old 20k mile Chevy traverse that had two transmission failures.

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
That said, the water pump failure mentioned above is something mine has experienced.

Radial GT

TDI
'13 Jetta TDI Premium DSG
My MKIV PD Jetta with the 5sp has 208k and is still running like a champ and achieving 43+ mpg every tank, so I have the same question! Driving the MKVII it feels solid, but all the extra electronics will be the question going into the future.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It'll be the electronics/sensors various motors tied into the emissions system that will give the longer run issues.

Would there be anything major wrong with putting 40K/yr on a EA288? People have done that with the CJAA with little issues. I feel the problem will be those gently used cars say an 80K mile 2015 in say 2025 you may be chasing down unobtaimum parts or just stripping out the emissions system.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My warranty doesn't run out until 2029 +/-. They have to have some parts on hand. The court mandates it. This warranty is unlike any other. What happens if you get to 2025 and have an emissions issue and there are no parts left to fix it? Buy your car back?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
70k miles and fantastic UOAs in mine. I'll be sending in the 70k sample soon. I bought mine used with 17k miles, and did see evidence that the water pump was replaced when I installed the CP3 fuel pump. I have a driver's window regulator that needs replacing but is very easy to replace on these. The window works, just needs to have the pinch protection reset frequently for the auto up/down to function.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The water pump would be my biggest concern. Overheating can damage an engine in a hurry.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
My warranty doesn't run out until 2029 +/-. They have to have some parts on hand. The court mandates it. This warranty is unlike any other. What happens if you get to 2025 and have an emissions issue and there are no parts left to fix it? Buy your car back?
Interesting exit strategy!

Black Stick

TDI
Trend line
Coming from the MK4s where the engines were capable of hitting over 400 000 km without too much trouble, is there any feeling/consensus yet on how the MK7 engines (and vehicles overall) are aging? Is it generally expected that these engines will achieve the same longevity or are there particular reasons to expect them not to (increased complexity being the main one)?
160,000 miles on mine. No big issues

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Will a mk7 age as well as a mk4 NO. Common rail engines do not age as well as rotary pump engines. Injectors cost almost ten times as much money as ALH ones which are everywhere to be found. The ALH has proven not only good to 400k but past 700 with minimal maintenance. I own both, the 2015 is new with only 10k. Having had a 2014 before and the amount of engine noise that developed in 90k I would not have much faith in it being as reliable and cheap to own as a mk4. I have faith in the engines lasting, but at great cost when it is time for injectors and such which ARE a maintenance item in the lifetime of the vehicle. The court ordered warranty is a great thing so long as VW stands behind it and we all know that they do not...
My suggestion if you do go mk7 invest in better filtration on the fuel system (2 micron filter PLUS water block filter) and frequent oil changes, say 10k intervals instead of 16k. Try not to shut it down when regenerating (several apps and such available to watch the egt through obd2 port).
Depending where you live with emissions testing (or not) could also be a big factor, in Ontario deletes are not going to happen...I suspect moving forward these cars will be under closer inspection at testing time.
The rest of the car is not more complex, it is still a pretty basic car underneath with a rear beam suspension. Front sway bar links will be constant problem, DEF system will likely be a problem as they are on all other modern diesels. At least the front fenders are now plastic...

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Front fenders are plastic? Thats interesting. VW shortened the corrosion warranty too. Usta be 12 year unlimited miles. Now its 12 year with what a 120,000 mile limit?

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
I replace my nozzles with $20 tips every 100 k. Can't do that with common rail easily major labor and hard to source parts plus greater risks.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I replace my nozzles with $20 tips every 100 k. Can't do that with common rail easily major labor and hard to source parts plus greater risks.
You don't need to on the common rails. The 130k vs. 100k mile timing belt interval is a nice perk with the newer cars.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The ea288 uses solenoid injectors as well rather than piezo from CBEA and CJAA. Maybe cheaper and room to play with fueling.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I'm hopeful that it will remain reliable and parts will be out for time to come. I'm at 50k now and <KNOCK ON WOOD>, it has been flawless. I've done all oil and fuel filter changes on my own. Only replacement was tires at mid 30k with rotations every 5k. Have been watching for leaks, issues but so far it seems to be solid.

Timing belt: Has anyone done one on their own yet?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I’m just over 25k mi. If somebody can link me to the procedure with VCDS I’d be glad to check.