13 Passat SE on H&Rs and Audi 19s

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Washed the car and the summer wheels (inside and out), then mounted them up. Swapped out the Audi centercaps for the stock VW caps while I was at it.

Last edited:

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
How do the HID's work in the standard housings? I always thought HID's needed reflector housings to get the proper cut off at the top of the beam?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How do the HID's work in the standard housings? I always thought HID's needed reflector housings to get the proper cut off at the top of the beam?
On the Passat they actually work very well. They don't have the glare or 'dazzle' that many other kits have. I've never been flashed and have followed several people I know with them on - no complaints. Actual HID lights would be ideal of course - or something like DEAutokey carries now, which is a HID bulb with the correct dimensions for a standard reflector.

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
How are you lifting the car to change the wheels? Do you use one of those rubber or urethane products u put on ur floor jack or a piece of 4x4 wood with a groove milled in the center of it? Nice car, btw. I have same car in white with 55% tint already done.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How are you lifting the car to change the wheels? Do you use one of those rubber or urethane products u put on ur floor jack or a piece of 4x4 wood with a groove milled in the center of it? Nice car, btw. I have same car in white with 55% tint already done.
I don't use the body seam to lift the car (referring to the spot the factory jack uses). I always use a section of the subframe - typically the rear-most mounting bolt.

The mudflaps make it a little harder, but my low profile racing jack still fits in there. For my other cars that have been lowered, I would drive onto a 2x8 and it'd give me enough clearance, except for one car - my 95 Audi was way too low... I made small ramps out of boards screwed together to lift it about 4"

Still no tint... no time :(

GrumpyMarine

TDI
2015 Passat SE with sunroof
Where did you get the fog light retrofit from? And if you don't mind about how much did it run you? It looks really nice

Sent from my Gameboy Color using Tapatalk

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bought the kit from riverside Vw back when they had special forum pricing. I think keffer Vw has them beat now. Regardless, it's an actual Vw retrofit kit (ecs, Deutsche auto parts and others carry it). The kit ran just under $500 shipped with an actual Vw euroswitch. You could do it much cheaper if you made your own harness and sourced a knockoff switch.

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
19's off, 16s w/ nokian hakkapeliitta r2 in 215/60-16 mounted on '12 Tiguan wheels on for the winter. What a weird feeling taking turns...

(Passat 17's are on the Tiguan)
Also installed the tdiheater I bought in the spring. Much easier to install than the '12 Golf I did recently (but much more involved than my Jetta).

I ran the cord to the passenger side and it fit out without any trimming. My extension cord only reaches that far and I didn't feel like buying a longer one :)
Heater mounted:

Heater hoses that replace one of the oil cooler lines:

Did the 30k service (need to pick up some DEF to do a usage pre/post reflash) and installed a Tiguan battery box. Tight fit, but looks much nicer.

Bring on the snow!

str8t six

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS TDI
that battery box looks good!

you could get one of those battery heaters to keep it warm inside the box

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
that battery box looks good!

you could get one of those battery heaters to keep it warm inside the box
The box was pretty cheap too - $25 shipped (from China). The TDI battery takes up pretty much all the space inside the box. If I really fiddled around with it, I could have probably left the factory battery wrap, but I've found that the frost heater keeps the battery plenty warm - at least on the MKIV cars I've done. I'll see how well this one works.

On my powerstrokes, I hooked up a battery tender with the block heater - helped a lot. Haven't had the need with a TDI - yet.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
4 years later and it's back to VW... The buyback was too much to resist. $400 more than I paid for the car new, plus the gift cards and whatever Bosch is going to pay out. I need a garage and this will pay for part of it. I had planned on either selling my Jetta or going all out with the mods, but it's back in daily commuting now. 220k and running strong!
I pulled all the accessories off the Passat and will list them for sale soon. I left the rear fog, tdiheater, lowering springs and the front fog harness in place because they were too much work for what I could sell them for. I saved both sets of tires and put my old Jetta wheels / bald tires on before turning it in.
This is how it looked which is pretty sad:

I'll miss it, but I won't miss the clunking, creaking and the sound of sand in the window scrapers like fingernails on a chalkboard...